Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if manual ever gets boring after a decade or so? I am going to have my first car in September and am Wondering if it is really fun driving to clutch? Do you ever get headaches from pushing the clutch and changing gears? I will also be playing sports and having games, so will it be tiring at the end of the day to drive Stick. I will be getting a Honda accord coupe 08 v6. If yaw say Auto then i will get the one with VCM on it unless all v6 automatics have it. Thank you for Considering your time.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,456 Posts
manuals are easy to drive, but can be a pain in lots of stop and go traffic....

i have no issues driving my 07 in traffic....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sports injuries can be a problem with a stick since you need two hands and two feet. A friend had arm in a sling so had to drive his dad's car for a month.

·
36 Posts
+1 Agree with Stuff. I broke my collarbone when i was 18 playing football and couldnt drive my old Prelude 5-speed for 8 weeks!!!! Never again. If you werent into sports i'd say a manuel hands down, But in your situation its probably wiser to go automatic

·
Banned
294 Posts
Hey I was wondering if manual ever gets boring after a decade or so? I am going to have my first car in September and am Wondering if it is really fun driving to clutch? Do you ever get headaches from pushing the clutch and changing gears? I will also be playing sports and having games, so will it be tiring at the end of the day to drive Stick. I will be getting a Honda accord coupe 08 v6. If yaw say Auto then i will get the one with VCM on it unless all v6 automatics have it. Thank you for Considering your time.
problem is the safest bet in Accord lineup might only be the V6 MT. :paranoid: i play sports too and sometimes our ankle and feet are sore and sometimes arms are sore and sometimes neck is sore. now why would you want more of the same thing when you're driving? relaxxx a bit and get an auto.

·
Houston
15 Posts
If you were talking about a different car company, I'd say go automatic. Since you're talking about Honda, get the manual. IMHO, they make the best(smoothest shifting, short throw) manuals on the planet. You must at least test drive first before writng them off. You'll be hooked for life.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have an '09 4-cylinder auto, I wished I had a manual, I just wish I could control my revs. Anyways, since you're into sports go for an automatic, still a great vehicle! I love it, and customizable, the members on this forum have renewed my hope in having fun with my car, there's lots that one can do to customize their accoird, even an automatic.

·
BringTheIntegraBack
367 Posts
Only in America is such a question even discussed; most of the world uses manuals all the time!

As for breaking a limb, if you have your right arm in a cast, you can still shift with your left hand. Not hard at all. What is it they say about necessity and invention? :)

Not sure if I would think about making a long-lasting decision (MT vs. AT) based on the outside chance that something bad would happen. Plus, if you bust a limb, you will be back to driving in a few weeks. Of course, if you plan to keep busting limbs, maybe better to think about picking a different sport?! :)

As for the sore body after sports practice issue, I can tell you that Honda makes the easiest clutch and shifter around. A Porsche MT owner might have to think hard about driving his car after a hard day on the field, but a Honda MT owner goes smiling the whole way home. Traffic or no traffic. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only in America is such a question even discussed; most of the world uses manuals all the time!

As for breaking a limb, if you have your right arm in a cast, you can still shift with your left hand. Not hard at all. What is it they say about necessity and invention? :)

Not sure if I would think about making a long-lasting decision (MT vs. AT) based on the outside chance that something bad would happen. Plus, if you bust a limb, you will be back to driving in a few weeks. Of course, if you plan to keep busting limbs, maybe better to think about picking a different sport?! :)

As for the sore body after sports practice issue, I can tell you that Honda makes the easiest clutch and shifter around. A Porsche MT owner might have to think hard about driving his car after a hard day on the field, but a Honda MT owner goes smiling the whole way home. Traffic or no traffic. Piece of cake.
i would disagree about what the rest of the world drives. 10 to 20 yrs ago, you could say the majority were driving stick. but now, even in a country like china, more people are buying auto tranny cars than manual. however, most taxis are MT.

i do agree with you about honda MT though - the clutch is light in effort and shifter is smooth. a porsche 911 i drove had the stiffest clutch that i have encountered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would disagree about what the rest of the world drives. 10 to 20 yrs ago, you could say the majority were driving stick. but now, even in a country like china, more people are buying auto tranny cars than manual.
I believe a lot of that has to do with offerings. We are in the market for another car but vehicles with the features we need are not offered in a manual. We either need to get an optioned-down car or a premium brand in order to combine the features we want with a MT.

Unfortunately, most people that could go either way shrug their shoulders and settle for the auto if it's not readily available. If I have one more sales person tell me that "people don't want MTs." I'm "people" and I just told you I want a manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you can rent a manual for a few days from a local car rental agency. This way you can see how it feels to have for a few days and not just a test drive. Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I drove a manual for about 8 years and never had a problem with it. I got an automatic and realized that there wasn’t as much “to do” while driving. I loved it for a few years and had I not opted for the model I got on my new Accord, I was ready to go manual again. Alas, the sedan EX-L V6 only come in automatic.

People are right though, if you’re in a lot of traffic and do a lot of sports, shifting might be a pain. No sense in making it more difficult on yourself if you don’t have to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since you are getting everything you want on a Silver Platter, get a V6 with Paddle Shifters. That way you can wind out the gears a bit more.

Headaches from pushing in the clutch and changing gears? Are you serious? OH, I forgot. You are only 15, but are a Good Driver.
Bitter much? Honestly, the kid is trying to learn about MTs and has been fairly respectful, albiet coming across a bit niave (but he's 15). He didn't deserve the treatment he got in his last thread. Why start it again here?

And for the record, I'm not justifying that he or any other teenager deserves such a car. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's not beneficial to judge him when he simply came here to learn.

·
Registered
155 Posts
manuals are easy to drive, but can be a pain in lots of stop and go traffic....
+1. I've always had one manual trans car in my garage since I was 16 (45 now). My daily driver prior to the Accord was an '06 Si coupe. After 56k of rowing the gears in say 3-5 miles of stop-n-go traffic on my 35 mile trip to and from work, I said enough......and on one bad traffic morning back in June, I got into the office, called my buddy at the local Honda dealership and I put a deposit down on an auto Accord coupe......and I'm happy with my choice. That being said, if I could only have one car in my garage, it would be a manual....and I'd just deal with it....because I enjoy driving a stick. You just have to know going in that it's going to be a pain if you have to drive in traffic on a regular basis.......but when the road opens back up, the fun begins :D

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
Try the stick shift before you decide, it's more engaging and fun to drive if you're a driving enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Maybe you can rent a manual for a few days from a local car rental agency. This way you can see how it feels to have for a few days and not just a test drive. Good luck!
I'm not sure if it's different in the States, but where I am in Canada, no one rents MT vehicles because people are too hard on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lol. Now thats funny...I dont wanna sound like a A-hole but I wish some got me a 08 V6 Accord as teenager, if you're already makin excuses bout playin sports n bein tired maybe u should just get the Auto. U should try one of ur friends MT cars 2 c if you like it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bitter much? Honestly, the kid is trying to learn about MTs and has been fairly respectful, albiet coming across a bit niave (but he's 15). He didn't deserve the treatment he got in his last thread. Why start it again here?

And for the record, I'm not justifying that he or any other teenager deserves such a car. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's not beneficial to judge him when he simply came here to learn.
THANK YOU!. I did not come to this forum to offend anyone, just wanted to get some answers :).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts