Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a quick question here.

The title could be misleading I guess, but I have an automatic transmission Accord. I like the idea of shifting gears on my own (going into low, 2, 3, drive) but I'm wondering if this can mess with the transmission at all? If I were to do this, how would I do it cleanly (as in getting the best shifts and not doing damage to the car)?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Some people do it with no problems, but you have V6 Automatic Accord, and a 2003 no less. The 03 V6 Auto appears to be one of the most problematic years on the 7th gen. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Some guys on the forum are going strong after many miles but the amount of problem reports around on the net is HUGE.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
HA HA HA oh man CM6, you had me rolling on the floor!!!!

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
As long as you use your 3rd pedal properly, I don't see any harm.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My coupe takes about 1.5 second to engage from reverse to drive before it is able to proceed forward. My sedan doesn't have the notorious 7gen transmission and it doesn't hesitate to switch gears. Not even in the slightest.

Long story short, you can guess which car got the new transmission at 79k.

That's all I'm going to say. I was burned once on transmission issues, so I refuse to risk anything if I can. The ECU knows best :)

·
Mike
779 Posts
2.4L Auto trans selects 1st as soon as its shifted into to D - no real delay.

V6 Auto trans selects 3rd THEN 1st when shifted into D from P or R, this supposedly helps reduce engagement shock from the torque of the V6.

The V6 is supposed to have a small delay feeling.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My 2.4L sedan selects 1st from D immediately, reverse takes like 1 second when going from D to R, I don't know if this is normal (D engaging faster than R) but it's always been that way. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Hey guys, just a quick question here.

The title could be misleading I guess, but I have an automatic transmission Accord. I like the idea of shifting gears on my own (going into low, 2, 3, drive) but I'm wondering if this can mess with the transmission at all? If I were to do this, how would I do it cleanly (as in getting the best shifts and not doing damage to the car)?
My philosophy is it wouldn't be there if it wasn't meant to be used. I think even the manual says it's OK to use them for engine braking (which is how I mainly use them).

If I'm doing a 0-60 run, I have to start in 1 to get a better time than starting in D. I then shift from 1 to 2 using speed and not tach.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
The only time I've ever, purposely, put the gear selector into a lower gear before pulling away is when I wanted to minimize wheel spin in the snow.

OP - you're asking for trouble trying to row the gears on that '03automatic (which you didn't really say WHY you wanted to do in the first place) ... It's not a tiptronic (?) where you can manually change the gears slapstick style, so just put it in D and forget about it ...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My mechanic has swapped an Accord v6 tranny into a TL and the tiptronic worked which makes me believe it's something Honda withheld to differentiate from Acura.

·
Registered
293 Posts
DON'T DO IT! Trust me when I tell you... When I was young, dumb and didn't know any better (or have the internet to hold my hand) I blasted through my 2000 Acura Integra's automatic transmission by shifting through the gears (1, 2, 3, D) in 49,XXX miles and a little over 2 years time... Lucky for me the warranty was for 50K and i JUST made it :yes: Car was stolen soon after though, I guess karma made its way back around... :thumbsup:

Good luck.... and remember.........DONT DO IT!! :lmao:

·
4,062 Posts
To add the relevant blurb from the OM:

Text Font Line Rectangle Parallel

I'd trust Honda more than anecdotal evidence, but that's just me.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
CAN and SHOULD, are two very different things ... and that chaps' experience above (with burning his 5AT in his Acura from rowing gears) wasn't anecdotal, it was actual.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
CAN and SHOULD, are two very different things ... and that chaps' experience above (with burning his 5AT in his Acura from rowing gears) wasn't anecdotal, it was actual.
Well that was actually an anecdote (a story about personal experience). We can find many anecdotes of people that didn't do it and their tranny failed too. I think that the real problem here is if you're redlining the thing when you're shifting regardless of your shifting method, and if you're even doing proper maintenance. I'm sure shifting manually at 2.5k or less will put less stress than wide open throttle in D.

I think we can safely assume those who want to shift manually are more prone to high RPM shifting and aggressive driving, which would put more stress on the tranny.

Anyhow, it's a V6 03.. Baby and maintain it.

·
4,062 Posts
Well that was actually an anecdote (a story about personal experience). We can find many anecdotes of people that didn't do it and their tranny failed too. I think that the real problem here is if you're redlining the thing when you're shifting regardless of your shifting method, and if you're even doing proper maintenance. I'm sure shifting manually at 2.5k or less will put less stress than wide open throttle in D.

I think we can safely assume those who want to shift manually are more prone to high RPM shifting and aggressive driving, which would put more stress on the tranny.

Anyhow, it's a V6 03.. Baby and maintain it.
Agreed. I don't even think you're really doing anything different than what D does when manual shifting except overriding the shift logic. Although I've heard something about the torque converter being locked or stronger if you start in 1 instead of D....don't know could be making that up. If anything it's just the high-rpms that would wear the tranny faster (since in D the engine is going for fuel economy and < 2k rpm as much as possible).

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
To add the relevant blurb from the OM:

View attachment 115234

To add to the fun factor, put the car in neutral, rev it to about 5K RPM and hold, then flip it into drive. :D

The one place you shouldn't trust Honda is when it comes to the 7th gen transmission. I'd say they screwed up pretty badly and never owned up to the problem.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Well that was actually an anecdote (a story about personal experience). We can find many anecdotes of people that didn't do it and their tranny failed too.
+1 ... *facepalm, my bad ... grammer/linguistics may have won this time; but "next time Gadget, NEXT TIME !!!!"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts