Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so the passenger side map light has been out and recently the driver side just went out, but only when you open the doors. You can push them and they still come on. Does anyone know if this is a fuse or a bulb issue? I've googled a lil bit but haven't found an answer.

Also, one of the seat heater switch lights is out...same question... and how to change fuse/bulb?

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty these have both come up before . . . especially the heat seater switch. Search and you'll probably find part numbers, too. The lights on the heated seat switches is an easy replacement.

The map lights . . . of course be sure the DOOR-OFF switch is set firmly to one side. when the door is open, do the door indicator lights in the gauge cluster come on? If not, it's probably the plunger switch in the door frame. If they do come on, it might be a ground issue. Because they both went out, it's probably a ground issue or maybe something with the map light assembly?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Welcome. Please use the search function and search "heated seats" and you will find many threads that discuss changing the light bulb. Go to any honda parts site, or Honda's eStore (use google) and you will find the bulb replacements under Electrical/Switches. Just pull up the trim around the transmission, remove the switches and replace the bulbs. Your map lights, as Trip suggested, are probably off due to the switch in between them.

·
04 Accord V6 Ex-L
1 Posts
I've got more or less the same issue with my map lights, the difference is that my drivers side won't come on when the doors are open and yet it still lights on when i push it. As for the passenger side, it works perfectly. Any ideas????

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've got more or less the same issue with my map lights, the difference is that my drivers side won't come on when the doors are open and yet it still lights on when i push it. As for the passenger side, it works perfectly. Any ideas????
sorry to go off topic, acer12, post pcs of your ride!
check the bulb, could be possibly going bad, check the door triggers too. Also, is it set to door.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm having a map light problem too. I searched and 327 threads came up, this the only one in the top 25 that mention this.

Both mine would not come on from the door or pushing them (switch). I checked the door/off switch it was on door. About 2 weeks later the right one worked as normal. Left still did not work. I took the bulb out and it looked good. I put it back in and about 2 days later it worked again. It worked for about 3 days and stopped again. Took the bulb out again, it looks good, put it back in but still does not work.

Anyone find the problem with these light isues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
this has been driving me crazy. i ordered the base unit from a honda dealer (and found out there is a huuuuge price difference between dealers). The part number i got was 34404-sda-a21 and it was about $60. I have since found them online for around $35. Anyway, I switched out this unit....very easy to do....and everything worked fine. For about 48 hours. Now on occasion, one side will go out and pushing the light will sometimes work and sometimes not. Could be the bulbs maybe? I guess that is my next move. Hopefully swapping the base can help some of you. If anyone has ideas on mine, please let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Late to the game but I had same issue's.. Replaced the dome light unit and it resolved my issues.. I will say that the bulbs tend to blow out quickly in the car more than any other car I drive... $63 from the dealer. Online with ridiculous shipping charge is $48.. Save your money and order it online...

·
2020 CBP Touring
799 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone found any ground issues or a solution? My driver side map light doesn't function when the door is open but works fine otherwise. On my 05' Accord it is intermittent. Id rather not replace the assembly and hope it works if I can avoid it, especially 2x.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Happened to me a lot, just after changing both bulbs, few times I was physically hitting the lights with my hand and it was working as it should be with the doors open,

then I opened that cover again ( as you are changing the bulb ) and found that the bulb was loose, and the metal pieces that touch the bulb where going wide and loose,

tried to push my screwdriver here and there and that thing still works fine until this day ! :)

It's just a matter of metals touching each other, with time they become separated with few millimeters I think.

I know this is not a good procedure, but this is what I simply did and I didn't harm anything and it worked fine !

·
Fabb
131 Posts
Off topic and I apologize, but is there anyway you can mod the map lights so they can come on when you open the door like the dome light does if you own an LX trim? I have leds in all the interior lights and i love the blue glow it has at night when i unlock it remotely, it'd be even better if the map lights came on too so is there a way?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passenger map light doesn't come on when door opens

M_Powerholic,

Sorry to revive such an old (and perhaps esoteric) thread, but do you happen to remember which metal parts you needed to jostle with the screwdriver? I have replaced both bulbs, but can't seem to get the map lights to come on when I open the door. And yes, I made sure the switch is set to "Door." Both lights come on when you push the map lights themselves. Passenger map light comes on when I open the door, but the driver map light does not.

I don't mind getting in there with a small flathead screwdriver, I just wanted to know what I'm trying to bend or move. I have read that the base often "burns out," requiring a replacement. I will resort to this if necessary, but would strongly prefer your solution.

FYI, I have a 2006 Accord EX-L Sedan w/o NAV.

Thanks!

accrdlvr

Happened to me a lot, just after changing both bulbs, few times I was physically hitting the lights with my hand and it was working as it should be with the doors open,

then I opened that cover again ( as you are changing the bulb ) and found that the bulb was loose, and the metal pieces that touch the bulb where going wide and loose,

tried to push my screwdriver here and there and that thing still works fine until this day ! :)

It's just a matter of metals touching each other, with time they become separated with few millimeters I think.

I know this is not a good procedure, but this is what I simply did and I didn't harm anything and it worked fine !

·
Registered
44 Posts
M_Powerholic,

Sorry to revive such an old (and perhaps esoteric) thread, but do you happen to remember which metal parts you needed to jostle with the screwdriver? I have replaced both bulbs, but can't seem to get the map lights to come on when I open the door. And yes, I made sure the switch is set to "Door." Both lights come on when you push the map lights themselves. Passenger map light comes on when I open the door, but the driver map light does not.

I don't mind getting in there with a small flathead screwdriver, I just wanted to know what I'm trying to bend or move. I have read that the base often "burns out," requiring a replacement. I will resort to this if necessary, but would strongly prefer your solution.

FYI, I have a 2006 Accord EX-L Sedan w/o NAV.

Thanks!

accrdlvr
I had a similar problem that I wrote about. Maybe it can help you:

- MAP / DOME LIGHTS : The Front map/dome light wasn't working properly. It wouldn't turn on when opening the doors and only the passenger side map light button worked. That repair took me all but 15 minutes, simply by pulling out the map light console, removing the 'switch button' and then scraping / cleaning the three prongs they connect to (the center one was layered with some green dried up crap). What a feeling to have light up front.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 honda pilot map light fix

I just fixed my map lights on a 2006 Pilot. There were multiple problems, but all easy fixes.
1. If the lights are not working when you open the door and your dashboard switch is set correctly then the problem is a ground in the map light fixture. There are 4 screws that hold the assembly to a metal cage in the roof. The screw that is accessed from the passenger side lense is used for the ground. You will find it is corroded. Remove the screw and clean it. I used a thin spinning wire brush on a Dremel tool. Get the screw shinny including the washer. Reinstall screw tightly and now the lights will work with the door.
2. One lamp was bad and on lamp was good. I replace them both with LED lights from a local auto supply store. Take one of yours to the store to assure you get that right size.
3. I had one bad micro switch. These can be split apart. You will one center contact looks black and the other two are corroded. I took part both switches and cleaned the contacts with my Dremel tool.
I HOPE EVERYONE FINDS THIS HELPFUL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remove the switches, open them up, and bend the connections inside.
Or buy new switches. $1.85 each.

Read Here: Map light console acting strange - Drive Accord Honda Forums

And here for directions on opening the switches and fixing them: Dome Lamp Fix on 2006 EX-L - Drive Accord Honda Forums

I'm not sure where you can get the switches for $1.85, mine cost $12 for a pair on amazon.
Amazon.com: Dorman 924-798 Dome Lamp Switch, Pack of 2: Automotive
They're $14 right now.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the whole light assembly from a pull a part yard over the weekend. Got the whole thing for less than $10. Dropped it in and all works as it should. Not I have spare bulbs etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts