Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my 2004 accord coupe for 2 months and while I love it its recently picked up a habit that makes me want to pull my hair out, whenever I turn I can hear what sounds like a marble rolling back and forth in the direction I turn, and when I'm cruising at over 40mph when I let off the gas I hear a small 'tick' noise, this happens whenever I turn. I checked the door panel and found nothing, i found a loose piece of metal inside the internals of the glove box which i thought was it, not so however.I noticed there are 2 little holes under the passenger seat, one of which is for the wiring harness,which may be where it is but I haven't looked in there yet,

A note is I've never heard it on the driver's side, not once. The closest I've heard it is near the passenger side center console. Someone told Me it might be control arm bushings but I just had the entire control arm replaced not even a month ago, This is driving me crazy and really damping my enjoyment of the car. If anyone has any idea what this could be, please help me

· Turbo lag
2,887 Posts
Sounds like a bad CV joint?
If you can post a video of the sound, that might help.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a bad CV joint?
If you can post a video of the sound, that might help.
I'll take one tomorrow, I'm confused how it could be a problem with My axle. It's not like a consistent rolling sound, when I turn from side to side I hear it roll then stop like it hits something and stops, I'm not too well versed in cars yet can you explain why it could be that?

· Turbo lag
2,887 Posts
It's just a guess, I just reread your original post and I might have misunderstood.
But excess play in the CV joints can make sound when turning or when the rotational load changes (ie when you let off the gas).

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just a guess, I just reread your original post and I might have misunderstood.
But excess play in the CV joints can make sound when turning or when the rotational load changes (ie when you let off the gas).
Yeah I think I remember during my last repair my mechanic said my CV axle looked like it needed to be repaired soon but it still had some life in it, might just. Be a coincidence but the noise I hear inside the cabin sounds like a ball bearing rolling around. Thank God too because online says a cv axle repair on my car is like 3 thousand dollars

· Turbo lag
2,887 Posts
Thank God too because online says a cv axle repair on my car is like 3 thousand dollars
CV axle repair or replacement does not cost $3K. While I don't know how much a shop would charge for labor since I DIY everything, but I can replace a CV axle with a OEM unit for less than $300 in parts and 1.5 hours of labor. Or an aftermarket unit for less than $100 in parts and the same 1.5 hours of labor.

Reactions: TX Accord

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CV axle repair or replacement does not cost $3K. While I don't know how much a shop would charge for labor since I DIY everything, but I can replace a CV axle with a OEM unit for less than $300 in parts and 1.5 hours of labor. Or an aftermarket unit for less than $100 in parts and the same 1.5 hours of labor.
Okay, that makes me feel a bit better. I'll take a video tomorrow afternoon after work to get a better picture of where it could possibly be

· 2015 accord sport
163 Posts
I've been driving my 2004 accord coupe for 2 months and while I love it its recently picked up a habit that makes me want to pull my hair out, whenever I turn I can hear what sounds like a marble rolling back and forth in the direction I turn, and when I'm cruising at over 40mph when I let off the gas I hear a small 'tick' noise, this happens whenever I turn. I checked the door panel and found nothing, i found a loose piece of metal inside the internals of the glove box which i thought was it, not so however.I noticed there are 2 little holes under the passenger seat, one of which is for the wiring harness,which may be where it is but I haven't looked in there yet,

A note is I've never heard it on the driver's side, not once. The closest I've heard it is near the passenger side center console. Someone told Me it might be control arm bushings but I just had the entire control arm replaced not even a month ago, This is driving me crazy and really damping my enjoyment of the car. If anyone has any idea what this could be, please help me
Since the noise is more noticeable during turns is a good indication that it is the cv axle is going bad, the more you ignore it the noise wil be more noticeable, if it is truly a bad cv axle it can come to the point that it break leaving you stranded. Good luck

· Registered
3,070 Posts
Not saying it isn't your CV axle, but look "outside the box", too.

I had similar noises, mostly while turning, in my '16 Coupe for a while. Everyone, including dealer's service techs, was convinced it was in the front on the passenger side. Turned out to be a screw rolling around in the side panel storage pocket on passenger side in the back. It was found by a rear seat passenger. Guess the sound was just echoing around the cabin.

Don't know if your '04 has any side panel pockets, front or rear, or other places to hide a "marble", but take a good look around. And if you're lucky... 🤞

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got around to taking a video, this is taken while the driver does several sharp left/right turns

· Turbo lag
2,887 Posts
Well, that does sound like something rolling around. Maybe beneath the carpet? In the footwell vent for the rear seats?

Reactions: visionguru

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that does sound like something rolling around. Maybe beneath the carpet? In the footwell vent for the rear seats?
So I took it in to get looked at. They drove around with someone in the passenger seat for a while and it didn't make the noise, so they removed the seat to put their ear to the floor and dash, didn't hear anything, so then I drove with the manager in the passenger seat and didn't hear it either but as soon as he left and I drove alone I heard it. It might be an off the wall theory but it may be in the metal plate or rail underneath the passenger seat, and what's a floor well vent? Would that be under the passenger seat?

· Turbo lag
2,887 Posts
what's a floor well vent? Would that be under the passenger seat?
Yes, it's under the passenger seat. Supplies HVAC air to the rear seat footwell area. I've definitely had things almost get in there.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok
Yes, it's under the passenger seat. Supplies HVAC air to the rear seat footwell area. I've definitely had things almost get in there.
Ay I bought a boroscope so I can look around in there, on Sunday I'll remove the seat. Look in there and if it's not in the seat I can hunt around in the vent and see what I can find. I'll report back then with either my triumphant success or crushing failure

· Cruising in Montana
4,983 Posts
Do you have a magnet on a stick? If you're lucky it is a bolt or nut which would stick to said magnet. Poke it under the carpeting, in the under-seat vent, etc. But it can't have a large diameter (else it won't fit in holes or under things) and you don't want a super-strong magnet.

Amazon.com : magnetic stick

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a magnet on a stick? If you're lucky it is a bolt or nut which would stick to said magnet. Poke it under the carpeting, in the under-seat vent, etc. But it can't have a large diameter (else it won't fit in holes or under things) and you don't want a super-strong magnet.

Amazon.com : magnetic stick
Thankfully I bought a boroscope today which has a magnet attachment. So if it's under there and I see it I can gently try to remove it.

· Registered
04, v6 accord, ¿lx?, BAYA, J30A4
395 Posts
For what it’s worth, pertaining to the passenger riding=no sound… I was diagnosing front end squeaks and clunks on the right front a while back. Took my mom out to breakfast one day and the noises were irreplaceable with the added weight on that side. I’m typically the only person in my car ever. Was this sound present since you’ve owned the vehicle?

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,875 Posts
Thankfully I bought a boroscope today which has a magnet attachment. So if it's under there and I see it I can gently try to remove it.
It sounds like a coin rolling inside the vent duct. Unfortunately, magnets have no effect on coins. If that's indeed the case, you may have to take the duct out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts