Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive been asking a few people here and there that have been working on cars and may have some experience in what problem im having, i get wheel hop/bogging and its driving me nuts, there are times where i just want to go but the hop/bogging is slowing me down and driving me nuts... their solution was get your car lowered (i am in the spring, snow up in jersey, lower cars **** in snow) and put in better motor mounts. So i think some company should look into that, It would prob. be a big seller even though you get no gains other than faster 1/4 times since you get better traction... what you guys think?

Also, who do you think i should contact to try to get this started?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I think you should probably go easy on the gas pedal, you have a 290 horsepower V6 front wheel drive car, it'll get up and go plenty fast without stomping on the gas pedal right on clutch release, otherwise the inherent weight transfer to the back when you accelerate hard compounds the problem.

You may also want to consider changing tires if you are still on OEM Michelins, they are horrible for traction IMHO, which also doesn't help you launch the car in a hurry.

Now you mentioned "1/4 time" so I'll assume you are talking about 1/4 mile drag racing ON SANCTIONED RACE TRACKS, if so then the demand is going to be extremely low for any company to justify designing and tooling up a special gizmo for just a few FWD drag racing Accords, at least not unless all those people are willing for fork out full payment in advance to cover the design engineering and tooling and production charges in advance, it's just does not make good business sense otherwise.

I know there are dampening rods for 7th Gen that helps to minimize the motor flex on the engine mounts, perhaps you need to look into something like that.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
+1 to what he said. If you watch professional racers they rarely have any wheel spin off the line because they're giving the car juuuust the right amount of throttle so their tires don't break traction and start sliding resulting in spin and no go. :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok, so ive been asking a few people here and there that have been working on cars and may have some experience in what problem im having, i get wheel hop/bogging and its driving me nuts, there are times where i just want to go but the hop/bogging is slowing me down and driving me nuts... their solution was get your car lowered (i am in the spring, snow up in jersey, lower cars **** in snow) and put in better motor mounts. So i think some company should look into that, It would prob. be a big seller even though you get no gains other than faster 1/4 times since you get better traction... what you guys think?

Should've bought an AWD car if wheel hop drives you nuts. :lmao:

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Accord is not a drag racer, even the six speed coupe. I don't care for the wheel hop either, but I knew what I was getting myself into buying this car over the Hyundai Genesis. FWD has inherent limitations, it is not a platform designed for performance, but rather cost savings, ease of packaging, and safety, but performance has nothing to do with it. High horsepower and FWD is a pretty bad combo, no matter what kind of FWD suspension tricks utilized to eliminate the torque steer and axle hop. Whenever I get wheel hop I realize I'm driving too aggressively for the car, and that it wasn't designed for that, and so I go easier on the throttle.

I wanted to keep my price range for a new car under $30K, but for my next purchase I may have to up that a bit to get a RWD car. I have completed several high performance driving schools, and you will not see a FWD car being used for training at such schools, it's simply not the kind of setup for performance driving. My eye is keenly fixed on the Hyundai Genesis, and I will be monitoring its reliability ratings over the next few years. If that car proves as reliable as my Accord, it will be my next car. Of course the track model with the V6 and six speed manual trans combo. That is a car I would not be embarrassed to track.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Motor mounts/lowering your car and getting new tires will do very little to help you with the wheel hop. If you could install an LSD, then the problem would go away.

Maybe if you get some ultra sticky tires, maybe that would help a little, but not if you launch it past 3k rpm. The problem is that you have 220 pounds of torque going to either the left or the right wheel, its never both at the same time, which is why the LSD would be a huge help.

Also, if you want to learn launching techniques, go to a drag race. Observe the drivers. Very rarely do you see someone spin their wheels on take off and it's usually undesirable.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
x2 what everyone else is saying. Tons of HP and not an ideal drive train for harnessing it. A firmer suspension and grippier tires can help somewhat - it would prevent the rear end from squatting and help the front tires bite a little better but by no means would eliminate it. I always found accelerating from a rolling stop to help but even then, hammering the gas could result in wheel hop.

My 08 6-6 was fun to drive at 5/10ths. Any notions of pushing it harder should be left in the garage.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts

Don't you think if there'd been a real demand for this a company would have been doing it by now?

If you think this is such a good idea why not start your own company and make such a product? Otherwise, sorry to say, you bought the wrong car.

·
Banned
294 Posts
Don't you think if there'd been a real demand for this a company would have been doing it by now?

If you think this is such a good idea why not start your own company and make such a product? Otherwise, sorry to say, you bought the wrong car.
Put your money where your pool-table top is...:banana:

to the OP: I would definitely try stock or aftermarket motor mount replacement and good alignment that can be warrantied.

·
Brake/Suspension Geek
115 Posts
If its bogging turn off your TCS/Stability control - that electronically cuts the power. Unless its thinking the wheel hop is knock, the ECM shouldn't be cutting power at all.

The 7G's (eventually) got poly motor mounts made, but it took about 6-7 years until they were available. So I'd plan on waiting another 3-4.

The alternative, especially if you're crafty, is to remove the mounts (one at a time) cut the internal rubber out, and fill it with polyurethane you can buy in a tube.

You can find the durometer of the poly on the tube you buy, but aim for about 55-65 for a daily driven car, and 65+ for a lot of track use.

You'll also notice you start to feel the car idle a lot more (like being in an old muscle car) and you get shaking/vibrations/rattling through the dash with the A/C on.

At a certain point you'll need to decide whether its worth ruining what makes the car great (fast/comfortable/quiet) for something that makes a FWD car only marginally better - but its your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts