Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been depending more (more so trusting) on the ACC in my accord and I've noticed a significant increase of mpg. Why is this? The gas bar indicator goes down when I'm driving at a consistent speed compared to the same speed while using acc. Even if acc is engaged and I step on the gas pedal slightly, my gas indicator drops without change of speed

my combined diving mpg was ar 25.9 I believe abd us now up to 26.6 just within this past week of driving with ACC

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
One would expect your MPG to go up if you simply increased your usage of cruise control, either the conventional kind or ACC.

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
It's possible to get better fuel economy by not using your cruise control. On a recent trip from Boston to Montreal, I consistently got 2-3mpg less when using cruise control vs manual control. There were some hills along the way, so that plays a huge role. Cruise control is best used in slight declines/flat roads.

Getting back to OP's question, The reason why you notice a slight decline in MPG while driving with manual pedal control is because it takes a lot of energy to change speed on the highway. Think of a typical car's 0-60 run compared to a 0-100 or 1/4 mile run. It takes 7 seconds to go from 0-60, but another 7 seconds to go another 40mph. You may be using more throttle input to adjust your current speed when using manual control than when you are using ACC, but the change in speed is so small that you don't notice it. In any case, the 0.7mpg (2%) difference is so small that a medium headwind can cause this discrepancy. I'll buy into your logic that ACC saves more fuel if you see a 2mpg increase by using ACC.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Gray or black interior? (J/C! :thmsup: )

ACC FTW!! :banana:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Ok, I give up. What's ACC driving? Do you mean cruise control? Cruise control should result in better gas milage on the highway. Cruise control can maintain your speed more accurately than you you can. When you are in cruise control the computer can add precisely the the amount of fuel to maintain speed. Manually you have to observe the speed deviation and then add or reduce throttle to come back to speed. Over an entire day of driving the computer can accomplish this better than you can and waist less gas.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok, I give up. What's ACC driving? Do you mean cruise control? Cruise control should result in better gas milage on the highway. Cruise control can maintain your speed more accurately than you you can. When you are in cruise control the computer can add precisely the the amount of fuel to maintain speed. Manually you have to observe the speed deviation and then add or reduce throttle to come back to speed. Over an entire day of driving the computer can accomplish this better than you can and waist less gas.
ACC = Adaptive Cruise Control, which is only available on the Touring model (US model). It automatically slows down when its senses a car is in front of you, and speeds up to the initial set speed after the car switches lanes.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
ACC = Adaptive Cruise Control, which is only available on the Touring model (US model). It automatically slows down when its senses a car is in front of you, and speeds up to the initial set speed after the car switches lanes.
Thanks for the info. I still think the computer can do this better than manual thus giving better milage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts