Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Been browsing these forums for a while now, but just registered an account because I need some help figuring out if a mechanic is lying to me.

I have a 98 Accord with 200k miles that needed the rear brakes, calipers, rotors, and rotor shields replaced. I left it with a new mechanic while I was on vacation, came back and he told me everything was done.

Driving home from the mechanic, brakes began to feel spongey. I called and told the mechanic who said they power bled / pressure bled the brakes so it's strange the brakes were spongey.

Driving back to the mechanic, there was almost no brakes.

Now the mechanic says all four of my brake lines "rusted through"! And it's not his fault. Is that even possible for them to rust? I thought they were made of copper.

My suspicion is that they pressure bled the brakes and it caused the lines to burst.

Thanks for any feedback!
~Brian

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
look at your brake fluid reservoir and see what the level is. most likely there is ONE leak somewhere, not all four lines burst at once. get under the car and look for leaks.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
The pressure in the braking system when you're using your brakes is WAY more than the pressure used to bleed the brakes.

·
Elvira - the car
3,508 Posts
Thanks for the tip chris918. The reservoir was super low. And the lines been disintegrating from the inside out.
That's because you probably didn't change your brake fluid on a regular basis. Brake fluid is very hygroscopic and your brake lines WILL literally rust because of the water the old brake fluid absorbs.

Brake lines are made of steel but some are made of stainless steel.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,724 Posts
As Miker said, brake fluid absorbs moisture. Since the system isn't completely sealed, moisture, even in the form of humidity in the air, will get in. This does two things, none good: lowers the boiling point and contributes to rust in the brake lines, where they rust from the inside out.

The owner's manual for my '07 says to replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts