Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched several times.
I recently installed a new set of 18's on my 8th gen sedan.
Then I put the coils on. All in all I dropped it about an 1.5 - 2 inches. Now the ride is terrible. Like a dump truck, yes that bad. I have set them all to "S" for soft.
I was expecting the ride to be a little better after installing the coils. So I'm a little disappointed. Anything I can do here?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understood that coils would at least improve what I was on before.
My 18's have plenty of rubber on them. It's a larger profile tire anyway.
Can you please explain why 16 or 17 would work out better?

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Coilovers wouldn't improve ride feel. They improve handling, aesthetics and not having to ride on stock shocks that offer nothing but daily driving experience. The smaller wheel you go the bigger the tire will be which will be even bouncier. I dont know who led you to believe coilovers would give you a better ride feel than OEM...

·
Registered
310 Posts
16 or 17 will be better because its right in the middle. You don't want to go all the way soft because you will be bouncing around like a dumptruck as you stated. You also don't want to go all the way Stiff because you aren't tracking your car and your car is going to feel like shit going over any minute bump in the road. The reason coilovers have dampening is so that you can play with it and find something you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yeah just play with the dampening till you get it to your comfort. Im ridding on
20's and coils i have them set at F8 R12 and i just love it. Btw remember coilovers are aftermarket/performance shocks they will ride 100% better and last longer than just having lowering springs. You want a super smooth ride go back to stock or go for bags.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Coilovers wouldn't improve ride feel. They improve handling, aesthetics and not having to ride on stock shocks that offer nothing but daily driving experience. The smaller wheel you go the bigger the tire will be which will be even bouncier. I dont know who led you to believe coilovers would give you a better ride feel than OEM...
Well said! Stock suspension should give you the most comfortable ride, unless you go with a smaller wheel and taller tire.

·
lol wut
570 Posts
+1 to pretty much what everyone is saying. If you wanted a nice, smooth ride with coilovers, you shouldn't have looked into them in the first place. You could look into springs with a softer spring rate and replace the springs you have now with those.. But yeah, you have to accept that you lose comfort and gain better handling response with your car on coils.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
yea my ride is crap too... i have tried all the way to s and all the way to h and still no real change... bumpy as well... feels like im driving down a mountain side.... on the rocks not a road.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
I thought mine rode pretty well vs springs on the originally settings I put it on. Mine's stiff right now to prevent rubbing but I'm used to it and actually like it for some reason.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Interesting. By very purpose alone (being lower and needing to prevent bottoming out on bumps) most if not all coilovers are going to be stiffer than stock, but haven't heard much of this from the Megans.

Which are you on? Street Series or EZ's? The reason I ask is because I would actually think and recommend the Street Series Megans or BC's to anyone concerned with ride quality as the EZ's are a budget tuners coilover, however most feedback on them were so positive that it skewed that a bit...I'd still expect the BC's and even the Megan streets to provide the ability to go a bit softer than the EZ's since for the cost, the EZ's really are in a class of their own even being able to offer any dampening (although we've never heard anyone not pleased from the feedback we've received with them and their popularity).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Interesting. By very purpose alone (being lower and needing to prevent bottoming out on bumps) most if not all coilovers are going to be stiffer than stock, but haven't heard much of this from the Megans.

Which are you on? Street Series or EZ's? The reason I ask is because I would actually think and recommend the Street Series Megans or BC's to anyone concerned with ride quality as the EZ's are a budget tuners coilover, however most feedback on them were so positive that it skewed that a bit...I'd still expect the BC's and even the Megan streets to provide the ability to go a bit softer than the EZ's since for the cost, the EZ's really are in a class of their own even being able to offer any dampening (although we've never heard anyone not pleased from the feedback we've received with them and their popularity).
I am running really thin tires. 35s. as well as i havnt had a chance to get the wheels aligned due to all this weather we have been having here. I have to lower it another inch or 2 and then get it aligned... my friend said that my alignment is so out of spec that it might be part of the reason my ride is so bad. Idk I will post back when everything is said and done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
After my EZ Megan put on my car, the installer set the damper to 13 or 14. The ride is like stock and I have the wheel's gap eliminated:D BUT when I had my friend on the passenger side, she said something wrong with my car cause keep giving her to feel dizziness:dunno:. So I adjusted the damper front 6 rear 7. I feel I lost the smooth and stock feel, but my friend now said it normal like before:paranoid:

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
yea my ride is crap too... i have tried all the way to s and all the way to h and still no real change... bumpy as well... feels like im driving down a mountain side.... on the rocks not a road.
I am running really thin tires. 35s. as well as i havnt had a chance to get the wheels aligned due to all this weather we have been having here. I have to lower it another inch or 2 and then get it aligned... my friend said that my alignment is so out of spec that it might be part of the reason my ride is so bad. Idk I will post back when everything is said and done.
mmm..

This is the first. I have Megan Ez Coilover's, and i love the way they ride..

When i was on stocks wheels i had the coilover's Full soft just to enjoy the quality and ride confort. Having the coilover's fully soft was the best driving experise ever, car still handled like a dream and the ride was great.. Not bouncy at all.

I'm not running 20's again, with 35 series tire and instead of having my Coilover at Softest "level 15" i now have Front: Level 4, Rear: Level 6.
It's a much more aggressive setup than the full soft, but even at this level my ride is great, and Megan EZ are really top notch for the price..

If your getting a bumping ride, you need to get your car's alignment it's sometimes has to do with the Toe and Caster of your car.

When i had my 20'" R1 wheels being slammed on these Megan EZ, i didn't get my alignment for about 3 weeks after i i slammed it tucking all four tires, and when i would hit a small bump the car would go crazy lol.. But after i got the alignments and they put everything into Factory spec it's was a dream car :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
dont mean to thread jack. but how do u guys (with coupes) adjust the back coilovers.(stiff/soft settings)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That's the way I understood it as well.
I have the Street Series. Perhaps I should set them around 16 and see what happens? That's why I didn't get the EZ's because I thought the Street Series would work a little better spending the extra cash.
Maybe that's just "performance"?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
when i would hit a small bump the car would go crazy lol
Yea... mine did that... small bump car would sway all over i was like ahhhhhhh i got a minor alignment (eye balled it) so it wasnt angled so bad and its a tad better bumps r still hell tho

1 - 20 of 29 Posts