Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cruising in Montana
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to get one of these, since I long for the day where my arm doesn't get covered in oil when I change the filter.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
243 Posts
Looks interesting. I have a Valvomax that I haven't installed yet but am planning on using. The Udder looks more versatile (but I wonder know how effective it would be on a non-vertical oil filter).

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
185 Posts
I wouldn’t think this is necessary. From my 4 or 5 times of DIY oil change experience, you can keep your hand clean as long as you be patient.

The key step is be patient. I use a plier style filter wrench to break loose it, then I will turn little by little until I see oil coming out. If you are patient and stop at this point, you’ll see oil flowing through oil pan sidewall then dripping into your whatever container beneath. When it stops dripping I will unscrew a little and promote this ‘controlled flowing through oil pan sidewall’. Finally, you‘ll be able to unscrew the filter with a clean hand and flip it upside down to pour the inside oil into your waste oil container.

If you keep unscrewing the filter when oil is coming out, they’ll flow through the filter outside and make a mess. However, just waiting for 1-2 minutes and progressively unscrewing it can make a difference. Give it a try next time!

·
Elvira
3,623 Posts
this ^^^

Elegant idea from the inventor though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts