Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound is very faint, but I can hear it getting a bit louder over the months. I can only hear it with the windows down and the road is dead quiet.

It sounds like metal grinding as the wheels rotate slow at about 5mph, like the brake pad indicator type of metallic sound.

Here is the thing, my car only has 15K miles. However, my driving is all city-town. No hwy.

There is no way the brake pads could wear out that fast, correct?

Could it be something else? Wheel bearings? I did a youtube search and wheel bearing have a lumping type of sound and not a metal metallic sound. Is this correct?

Any advice?

Any past TSB or recalls on brake pads? Do the pads were out early? I would be "happy" if it's just that, and not something else that's wrong.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All city / town means you're on/off your brakes all of the time.

AKA: If it quacks ...

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just take a wheel off and look at the brake pad to see how much of it is left...

It is not impossible to eat up a set of pads over 15K miles of city driving. Also a matter of driving habits. You are all familiar with that guy who steps on it too much, gets too close to the car in front, brakes, steps on it again, brakes again, repeats the gas-brake cycle on straight road but that's a whole another subject.

It is also not impossible that the caliper pin is stuck. If that is the case the dealer will tell you you need a pair of whole entire calipers, but your independent mechanic will disassemble the calipers, grease em up, replace only the pins, put everything back together and charge you 1/5 of the dealer quote.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I would not think that pads would be worn out at 15k miles, I suppose it is possible. It is more likely that you are hearing a normal noise that the pads make especially if your car sits outside and rust forms on the rotors. The pads normally ride on the rotors, that is normal operation for disc brakes.

Easy to check, pull the wheels and look at the pad thickness. Depending on the wheels you might be able to see the pads through the wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Honda FanBoy Since '02
146 Posts
I had that once where the brake rotor backing plate had been pushed slightly towards the rotor by some sort of road debris such that it would rub very slightly against the rotor when driving. It is easy enough to check with the wheel off and the car on jack stands. You can bend the backing plate with your hands, feet, a pry bar, etc if it is rubbing.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, brake calipers work like this. You press the pedal which clamps the pads onto the rotor. When you release, there is no built in mechanism to open the caliper. With the pressure off, the pads are still in or near contact with the rotor surface. Driving for a few hundred feet causes the suspension to shift, making the pads bump into the rotor. Without any force holding the caliper shut, that motion slightly opens the caliper. If you just came to a stop, then let off the brake, you should expect there to be some intermittent contact.

Check your pads and rotors with the wheel off. Turn the hub and see it for yourself. My guess from this side of the keyboard is that it is probably nothing. If you're lucky, it probably is.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Pull the wheel and then check the dust cover and see if it got whacked out of position.
It happens.
If it's fine, check the wear indicators.
Its also possible that pad is hanging up, or caliper pin is sticky causing a pad(s) to hang up occasionally

·
Registered
58 Posts
its the rims and tires. sounds like brakes, its not, only that year accord sport affected.
Are you replying to a specific post, or just the thread in general? Also, in this 2 year old thread, there was no specific year mentioned.

And rims and tires don't sound like metal on metal, unless something is very wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bad. I thought I saw somewhere it was mentioned it was a 2014 sport. I could be wrong it's been a long day. But yes on that year and model the OEM tires on the sport rims absolutely make a sound that is mistaken for metal to metal grind. I spent 2 days trying to figure one out before contacting honda tech line (14 year honda tech) it's one of the crazier things I have seen on a honda and I have seen some wonky stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting. Never heard of something like that, but since this is my first Accord I don't have experience with them like you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since we revived this post, I also have this issue and there hasn't been an update from OP about what the sound cause was. My pads have a lot of life out of them and it could be the dust shield making the scraping sound or possibly the rim and tire but I switch to 17inch steel winter tires and I can faintly hear the sound. So it must be a mechanical moving part causing the scraping sound which I will get it looked at when I service my brakes unless someone has any ideas

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT MSM
98 Posts
Since we revived this post, I also have this issue and there hasn't been an update from OP about what the sound cause was. My pads have a lot of life out of them and it could be the dust shield making the scraping sound or possibly the rim and tire but I switch to 17inch steel winter tires and I can faintly hear the sound. So it must be a mechanical moving part causing the scraping sound which I will get it looked at when I service my brakes unless someone has any ideas
I had gotten a small pebble stuck between the dust shield and, I think, the rotor once. It made a terrible noise, but I found it and fixed it myself in a parking lot. I had just driven over an asphalt repair– you know the type– where the DOT passenger guy shovels some asphalt onto the road and the driver runs over it a couple of times. A smaller piece of debris might make a lesser sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts