Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Michelin CrossClimate 2 Mini Review -- 9th Gen EX 6-Speed 17" Wheels

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Bruce Hawkins 
#1 ·
Normally I don't post a "review" of an item unless I truly stand behind it (even though I'm an automotive journalist/ Youtuber in my spare time, so I review just about everything).

I've put a lot of tire brands on my vehicles over the years. While the performance side of me says a nice performance brand like Pirelli, Nitto, Yokohama, Toyo or Falken seems appropriate, the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires that were installed on my 2014 Accord Sedan right before I bought it are AMAZING!

After dealing with cold, slippery and very rainy conditions here in Houston as of recent, these tires are beautiful in the rain. Plenty of grip and road feel, even at freeway speeds. On dry tarmac/ concrete, they don't produce much road noise and do have a bit of a medium firmness on the road. Not too sure on their longevity but I will definitely be posting more as I go along.

What tires do you all prefer on your cars? Which is the best brand tire you would recommend to anyone?

#2 ·
I put the CrossClimate 2 on my 2013 V6 to replace the Blizzak/ MXV4 dual wheel setup that required me to switch sets for winter/rest-of-the-year.

I knew the compromise of leaving the dedicated snows but have been extremely satisfied with the grip in the rain as well as snow. Dry pavement IS very quiet but that can be attributed to the "tuned" pattern. Normally the open sides at the shoulder of the tread blocks would typically be uber-loud ala off-road all terrains.

Engineering Explained had a very informative YT

I work with 4 co-workers that use these also and they are totally sold.

Did you find any major change in your MPG? Only one setup on a Honda Odyssey seems to have affected the MPG for this person by a solid 2 mpg. He tracks his MPG religiously so I trust his findings. Same rotations per mile, etc,etc.

But I'm sold.

#30 ·
Mike,
I have a 2016 EX 2.4 6MT. I believe the original tires were Goodyear but unfortunately I cannot recall the tire model.
I replaced the Goodyears with CC2's 30k miles ago.

I'm fairly diligent about tracking the fuel economy and am comfortable stating that after 30K miles on the CC2's
my EX gets about 7-8% less mpg than the Goodyears.

I am satisfied with the tires for traction, wet and snowy road performance, and noise. The mpg drop is
the downside. FWIW most of my driving now nets 36-38 mpg in summer and 33-36 in winter. Goodyear
mpg under similar weather and driving conditions was 38-41 in summer and 35-38 in winter.

Most of my driving is solo occupant, same stuff in the vehicle, similar roads and speeds, la, la, la. My comparisons
are over significant amounts of time and distance and I believe that negates wind and accessory use in the
vehicle.

#4 ·
Any dedicated winter tire : Blizzak, X-Ice, that hard to remember how to spell brand from Norway are hands down vastly more competent on icy roads than these CrossClimates. They, the CC's, do an acceptable job but the ABS is activated when the winters never required the ABS to deploy.

My experience in upper Illinois allows me to drive before the plows get out and I'm not white-knuckling it to work.

It's also fairly flat around here so I couldn't comment on how the CC2 handle hilly conditions.

Oh yeah, IMHO

#5 ·
Any dedicated winter tire : Blizzak, X-Ice, that hard to remember how to spell brand from Norway are hands down vastly more competent on icy roads than these CrossClimates. They, the CC's, do an acceptable job but the ABS is activated when the winters never required the ABS to deploy.

My experience in upper Illinois allows me to drive before the plows get out and I'm not white-knuckling it to work.

It's also fairly flat around here so I couldn't comment on how the CC2 handle hilly conditions.

Oh yeah, IMHO
Are you thinking of Nokian brand ?

#7 ·
My experience was 4 winter seasons (mid Nov to early March) plus a little after the winter wearbars appeared I drove them down to the regular wearbars. I can't complain as I've never had the X-ice or the Nokian tires. to compare with. Hakkapeliitta is what I can't remember how to spell.

Never slipped ever on ice, never gut stuck in snow, traction was fine for my area, but I'll take your word you believe they are crap.

Why do you hold that opinion?

#9 ·
Ahh! I guess I can understand that but did the tires have a blowout?

I ask because the reason I needed the CC2 replacement was one of my rear tires had a blowout and shredded at 70 in traffic.

#10 ·
I care more about the tires I choose on my Odyssey because of its tire-eating habit as a minivan. The current set on it is Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus, and while it's too early to give an opinion from a treadlife perspective, I have otherwise been happy with it in wet and dry conditions.

I am not as concerned about it on my Accord since we rarely see snow here, when we do I'm not typically driving, and it doesn't eat tires like a minivan does. The tires on mine currently are some random Advanta tires the car came with. Plenty of tread left and when I had to drive in some rain they did good enough, so I'm not in a hurry to replace them.

Reactions: Cepega
#12 ·
@Metalicana , glad you've had such good results with the CrossClimate 2's. I've heard good things about them, for both regular driving but also for snow/ice conditions as well.

To answer your question (even though I'm crashing your 9th gen party with some 8th gen input), I've used Nokian WR-series all-weather tires since 2013. The WR G4s on my car currently are great - quiet, very good performance in dry and wet conditions, and in the winter they turn my FWD V6 coupe into a competent snow vehicle.

If I lived somewhere with more extreme winter weather, like the Adirondacks, the UP of Michigan, or the Iron Range in Minnesota, I'd go with a set of dedicated winters - the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5, the Michelin X-ice, or the Bridgestone Blizzak.

#14 ·
I know this is 9th Gen ...

... but, I did get a set of Acura TSX 17x7 wheels (ET55, same as stock) and put on a set of 225/50R17 Crossclimate 2's on a 2011 LX I4.

The one-hour drive home from Discount Tire was quieter, vehicle tracked very well. Previous tires (some 4-year-old Firestones) had eroded down to almost no tread depth, had a radial pull to the right, and were not really quiet.

Very pleased with the tires. Now, we see how long they last.

OF

#15 ·
@Miker, to answer your question on MPGs, since the tires were already on the car when I bought it, I didn't really get a chance to see how my CR2 behaved beforehand. Right now I average around 27-28 in the city and well into the 30's on the highway/ averaging about 470 - 515 miles on a tank (more than the original estimates of 24 city/ 34 hwy). I've never needed winter tires for any reason (living in South Texas has it's benefits to that of course), but I'd recommend these for anyone needing a solid all-season performer.

#16 ·
Yeah, dedicated Winter and Summer tire combinations for me living in MN. I run super sticky summer tires, and they are NOT to be driven below 50 degrees if possible. Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for me in the winter now. I've had Blizzak's before, and my son is now running them, great winter tire.

#19 ·
I may, we'll see how long the Continentals last. If they last for a while, I'll have struck gold and I'll probably keep them. My last set barely limped to 30k miles before needing replacement so the bar is somewhat low.

#20 ·
An added bonus, these are uni-directional so when it's time to "rotate" these tires lifting one side of the car at a time is all you need to do.

Front to back and back to front. Easy peasy!

#29 ·
Aside, from rotating the hides ...

... daughter is really liking these Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires.

Latest progress report: she says it's a different car (better).

She'll be able to take better advantage of the tires' capabilities on a decreasing radius, descending 270° on-ramp once I install the 17mm '09 TSX rear stabilizer bar (stock is 13mm for her 8th gen LX I4 Sedan).

OF

#31 ·
Normally I don't post a "review" of an item unless I truly stand behind it (even though I'm an automotive journalist/ Youtuber in my spare time, so I review just about everything).

I've put a lot of tire brands on my vehicles over the years. While the performance side of me says a nice performance brand like Pirelli, Nitto, Yokohama, Toyo or Falken seems appropriate, the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires that were installed on my 2014 Accord Sedan right before I bought it are AMAZING!

After dealing with cold, slippery and very rainy conditions here in Houston as of recent, these tires are beautiful in the rain. Plenty of grip and road feel, even at freeway speeds. On dry tarmac/ concrete, they don't produce much road noise and do have a bit of a medium firmness on the road. Not too sure on their longevity but I will definitely be posting more as I go along.

What tires do you all prefer on your cars? Which is the best brand tire you would recommend to anyone?
I have had Cross Climate 2 on my '17 Touring, 19" for about 5k miles. I mirror your post exactly with my opinion. One other thing I noticed was that the grip in normal driving gives the driver a definite feeling of confidence. The ride is great and road noise ( a major gripe of mine) is non existant.

#33 ·
2016 Accord V6 Touring.
Location Calgary, Canada.
Date installed April 2022.
18000Km.
Size 215/55/R17

Winter:
They are, indeed, snow tires. They handle snow very well, been thru one of the biggest snow storm in Calgary last winter and no issue. Before I had Bridgestone blizzak as dedicated snow tires, and not really like their unpredictable handling. CC2 is much more sure footed and bite into the snow instantly. Ice is a completely topic..

Summer:
Surprising they are pretty quite and handle really really well on dry. Ride straight and does not require a lot of steering input to go straight.

Fuel consumption
I average 7.2L /100 km in the summer, 8.4L /100Km in Winter. ( as comparison to the 19" 235/40/R19 MXM4 stock tires, at 9.8L/100 Km Summer)

Only downside maybe the look? It does look like snow tires.. and they are on the pricy side.