Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have the Michelin Energy Saver 225/50R17 tires be on the lookout for bubbles or bulges in the sidewall. If you continue to drive with the bubble, the defect could open into a crack which deflates the tire. Evidently this is a known issue with these tires. My tire has 12k miles on it and has to be replaced. The guy at Discount Tire says this is caused by hitting a pot hole or curb, but I have never seen other tires do this. Maybe the Energy Savers are more prone to this type of damage? I also found this website with numerous complaints.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't like the loss of traction on wet roads either.

- Jack

Reactions: lamayo1

·
8th Gen Believer
4,728 Posts
It's called cupping. You may have these bulges on the inside sidewall also. My respect for Michelin tires is zero.

·
VCM DELETE
1,066 Posts
Wow, and here I was badmouthing Cooper Tires for this exact same issue when I got my 2012 V6 (the dealer had put on it).
Interesting to know this can happen with any tire? I have had 0 problems with my Michelins, had em on all 3 cars Honda/Honda/Audi.
I know the kid I sold my Audi too has 35k on those Michelins now and they still look real good. Like 50% tread left...and those are lower profile.

Thanks for sharing. I never purchased the energy saver tires but now I def wouldnt...LOL

·
Turbo lag
2,504 Posts
I have the exact same tires in that size on the coupe, and god knows how many miles those have. I don't have any issues with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Discount Tire manager says this problem is not specific to the Michelin Energy Saver tire, he sees it on all brands. It can be caused by just hitting a pot hole. I am not a tire expert so I have to take his word on this. Anyway, I purchased one tire and he also sold me a warranty on all four tires for 12.50 per tire. I was surprised that Discount Tire would warranty the three tires they did not sell, but it seemed like a good deal. If this happens again I will be covered. I would recommend everyone with these tires to keep an eye on the sidewalls for any bubbles or bulges.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
1,071 Posts
I don't think this is limited to just this Michelin tire. I have seen rubber issues more frequently than I'd like to on Michelin tires.

Reactions: drumdudeguy

·
V4 Watch
865 Posts
If you have the Michelin Energy Saver 225/50R17 tires be on the lookout for bubbles or bulges in the sidewall. If you continue to drive with the bubble, the defect could open into a crack which deflates the tire. Evidently this is a known issue with these tires. My tire has 12k miles on it and has to be replaced. The guy at Discount Tire says this is caused by hitting a pot hole or curb, but I have never seen other tires do this. Maybe the Energy Savers are more prone to this type of damage? I also found this website with numerous complaints.

View attachment 541395
That is a sidewall bubble, any tire can get one. That is caused when the cords holding the tire together break. A rubber tire with no cords keeping its shape would inflate like a balloon. From 3 years of working at tire shops, Goodyears seemed most likely to get sidewall bubbles. The common theme with tires that get bubbles are thin sidewalls.

The Discount Tire manager says this problem is not specific to the Michelin Energy Saver tire, he sees it on all brands. It can be caused by just hitting a pot hole. I am not a tire expert so I have to take his word on this. Anyway, I purchased one tire and he also sold me a warranty on all four tires for 12.50 per tire. I was surprised that Discount Tire would warranty the three tires they did not sell, but it seemed like a good deal. If this happens again I will be covered. I would recommend everyone with these tires to keep an eye on the sidewalls for any bubbles or bulges.
The manager was right, that was likely caused by hitting a pothole too hard, and yes it can happen to any tire. I had michelin energy savers in 205/65/R16 on my accord, now on my brother's 9th gen with no issues.

It's called cupping. You may have these bulges on the inside sidewall also. My respect for Michelin tires is zero.
That's not cupping, that's a sidewall bubble. From my experience, Michelins in particular are not especially susceptible to this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With less than 10k on the odometer, I had one of these blow out on my 2019 HAH, presumably after hitting a pothole. The fixaflat pump that comes with the Hybrids is just as useless as Honda's we'll-tow-you warranty. After sitting in the rain for three hours, I ended up retrofitting a spare. But that is a different story entirely.

The Michelin Energy Savers lasted well over 40k for me, and I was pretty impressed with their overall performance in terms of comfort, grip and handling. That was on mostly dry California roads. I was particularly surprised when I replaced them with Pilot Sport 4 A/S and found that those do not seem to offer any better performance, but feel a lot stiffer. I put Pilot Sport A/S 2 and 3 on previous cars, and those were a class or two better than the respective tires they replaced. The blowout on the Energy Saver was the first issue I've ever had with a Michelin tire.

So I can second what others said: Michelins do not seem to be any more susceptible to damage than other brands. If anything, less so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts