Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got these put on and although obvious, everything about this tire is night and day compared to the OEM michelin's. Those only had 17k on them after 2 years, but wore unevenly on both fronts, started to squeal a lot more and slipped a lot more. I usually replace OEM tires sooner than this, but anyway.

Got them shipped from Tirerack, with a strange manufacture date of the third week of Jan, when these tires came out mid summer. Had them mounted, road force balanced, and lastly alignment.

The tires feel lighter than OEM, but the grip and response is insane. Not spongy, will attack any curve with ease. Never feels unsettled, but didn't put the car to the limits to see if one can feel the point of breakage.

Haven't have had any significant rain or even snow to truly test. Drove on some wet roads friday night, but didn't do anything to really test them out.

Will update after this wet noreaster this thanksgiving.

So far, I am highly recommending this tire. It was this or the DWS, but I have had good luck with better model michelin's on my other cars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice! This is the tire I am looking at to replace my oem pilots in 5-10k miles.

What is crazy is that the oem tires cost about $50 more per tire than this model.

(my dealer wants $285/tire for the oems)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, I don't buy anything through a dealer.

Hmm, my tires were only 159 each, not $285-$50. The DWS' are even cheaper.

225/50R-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 V-Speed Rated $159.00

This excludes mounting and balancing though. I have a sweet deal with that. It's called family in the business.

Also, there's a $70 rebate currently for the purchase of 4 Michelin's. Just submitted for this a minute ago. I was waiting the same as you until I noticed this rebate deal, ends 12/2/13. But they seem to have these rebate deals pretty much every other month.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ugh, I don't buy anything through a dealer.

Hmm, my tires were only 159 each, not $285-$50. The DWS' are even cheaper.

225/50R-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 V-Speed Rated $159.00

This excludes mounting and balancing though. I have a sweet deal with that. It's called family in the business.

Also, there's a $70 rebate currently for the purchase of 4 Michelin's. Just submitted for this a minute ago. I was waiting the same as you until I noticed this rebate deal, ends 12/2/13. But they seem to have these rebate deals pretty much every other month.
Oh of course I wasn't going to go through them.

My oems are 235/45/18, hence the extra cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wet handling is excellent. I am able to take sweeping ramps at the same rate (40mph) as my old squealling tires in the dry. No hint of slippage.

No hydroplaning like before over large puddles.

I will break the tire loose from a stop obviously with TCS off.

Awaitnig snow, if any.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Michelin Pilot series of tires are all VG and highly rated. I had summer Pilot Sports on my just traded in BMW and they were awesome & also were wearing very well. This new A/S is rated is an all-season tire, but I suggest don't drive it in anything other than light snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it snowed yesterday around in the tri-state. My area wasn't as unexpectedly severely impacted like some shore towns, but i decided to do a beer run. I was running on empty.

When I drove out there was about an inch of snow, not that light, not that wet. Not that packed.

Out of my driveway and down the street, I did make the car slide a bit when I stopped hard going from 5 mph. Not unexpected.

When I got on the unplowed, unsalted main road, the TSC light did come on, but i didn't feel slippage or and sliding. Drove up to 40 without much drama.

Didn't really get to test anything when I got to my destination as I was controlling my momentum and giving myself enough space in front. Changed lanes was fine. Braked slowly just fine. Acceleration was fine. So I was able to drive like a normal adult in the snow.

When I was driving back, unfortunately the roads got clearer, so I was driving partially on black top. On an open road i was able to perform small "pot-hole avoiding" maneuvers at about 30mph, just fine. Swering into the middle slush and back..

I don't think I got the chance to truly test it in snow, but in light snowy conditions the tires and car handled fine and predictably.

Would like to see what happens when there is more packed snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts