Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got an email alert from Honda corp. that our 2nd oil change was coming due (time triggered), waited a couple of weeks until the service light went off on the dash (mileage triggered). That same day we emailed Honda and scheduled an appointment with the dealer that performed the first oil change (Leith Honda in Raleigh) at 4,606 miles. Honda requested the odometer reading as part of the scheduling process, which we gladly provided (9,790). We took the car into the dealer for the routine second oil change. To our amazement, we discovered on the way home after picking up the car, it had an extra number "1" added to the odometer! The car 's odometer now read 19,807!

My wife and I discussed what to do and we agreed to return it immediately the following morning, which she did, but everyone from the service writer, the service supervisor to a Honda case worker is trying to convince us our car really has 20,000 miles on it! Telling us this has never happened with a Honda!

Despite the contradiction with the Honda email and the vehicle's warning light, the dealer also recorded our tire wear at 10/32nds. on November 18, 2014 with 4,606 miles (new tires had 11/32nd). Now, the dealer recorded our tire wear, 6 months later as 8/32nds. with 19,807 miles? Which means we would have racked up a 300% increase of 15,201 miles in that 6 month period with a mere 2/32nds. of wear on the original OEM tires? Incredible!

What can we do?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Got an email alert from Honda corp. that our 2nd oil change was coming due (time triggered), waited a couple of weeks until the service light went off on the dash (mileage triggered). That same day we emailed Honda and scheduled an appointment with the dealer that performed the first oil change (Leith Honda in Raleigh) at 4,606 miles. Honda requested the odometer reading as part of the scheduling process, which we gladly provided (9,790). We took the car into the dealer for the routine second oil change. To our amazement, we discovered on the way home after picking up the car, it had an extra number "1" added to the odometer! The car 's odometer now read 19,807!

My wife and I discussed what to do and we agreed to return it immediately the following morning, which she did, but everyone from the service writer, the service supervisor to a Honda case worker is trying to convince us our car really has 20,000 miles on it! Telling us this has never happened with a Honda!

Despite the contradiction with the Honda email and the vehicle's warning light, the dealer also recorded our tire wear at 10/32nds. on November 18, 2014 with 4,606 miles (new tires had 11/32nd). Now, the dealer recorded our tire wear, 6 months later as 8/32nds. with 19,807 miles? Which means we would have racked up a 300% increase of 15,201 miles in that 6 month period with a mere 2/32nds. of wear on the original OEM tires? Incredible!

What can we do?
What about state inspection records? In New York State, they record your mileage as part of the state inspection. What happens in your state?

Maybe another dealer can recheck the computer. There's got to be more to this. Not to mention I don't think its possible to go 13k miles on an oil change without the MM going negative. I believe the computer at the dealership can tell what the percentage was.

Please update us.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Short answer: Take it up with Honda Corporate. Call them. I have not heard of an odometer adding 10,000 miles, but I have heard of technicians able to set odometers using the Honda computer (e.g. your cluster goes bad at 15,000 miles, so they order a new one and set it at your "old" mileage).

Long answer:

You shouldn't base anything on an email alert. It is NOT your odometer.

You have some holes in your story. You never stated that you actually did not drive these miles. When did you buy the car? Honda asks that you do an oil change after one year, regardless of mileage. Is THAT what you were referring to?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
There's so many strange thing in this post...

1) OP, how long was the car left at the dealership for? Oil change doesn't take that long, so I'm guessing at most a few hours. We can safely eliminate the possibility of someone at the dealership took the car out for a 10K miles joy ride within a single day.

2) Did the dealership record the mileage number when the car was dropped off? Are you certain beyond doubt that you saw with your own eye the mileage number is the 9790 when you were making the appointment?

Only thing you can do is continue to escalate it. Dealer cannot reset the odometer. It would have to be authorized by Honda at a Honda-authorized location.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Weird. Don't dealerships give you a check in sheet that shows any damage as well as odometer readings on the way in? The ones around me do anyway. I check that over really well when I get it.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
The odometer reading is usually written on a form before doing any work, and a dealer can't just reset the odometer unless it's replacing the gauge cluster and they're authorized to program the old mileage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lol I got my oil change yesterday and the lady said... Wow half million miles on this 2010 accord? Lol dood who wrote down the milage wrote 478,000 instead of 47,800. Haha.

·
Super Moderator
4,295 Posts
Just a thought here.

How many miles do the trip computers count up to?

Is it possible that you have been reading the miles from the trip computer instead of the odometer?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a thought here.

How many miles do the trip computers count up to?

Is it possible that you have been reading the miles from the trip computer instead of the odometer?
Trip computer resets at 10,000 miles.I know this because I had not reset my Trip B since the second tank on my Accord.It rolled back to zero miles but still shows the average fuel economy for the nearly 11,000 miles currently on the car. I reset the Trip A at every fill up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Only have a single RO and it's for my other car (not honda). It shows an intake mileage only - some shops show mileage in and mileage out.

I'll usually take a pic of the odometer before I exit the car at the dealership (service shop, etc). This way there's a visual record which is date/time stamped of the mileage.

What was the time interval between these two oil changes? Do you log all your gas receipts/mileage?

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trip computer resets at 10,000 miles.I know this because I had not reset my Trip B since the second tank on my Accord.It rolled back to zero miles but still shows the average fuel economy for the nearly 11,000 miles currently on the car. I reset the Trip A at every fill up.
Interesting. I guess, as unlikely as it sounds, that could explain the extra 1 on the odometer.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Nice to know! I reset both trip counters at every fill-up and only one of them at a non-fill up. I take note of the mileage/trip counters too. Been doing it since I got my car last July! Well, more like a few weeks after I got it. Haha.

Only have a single RO and it's for my other car (not honda). It shows an intake mileage only - some shops show mileage in and mileage out.

I'll usually take a pic of the odometer before I exit the car at the dealership (service shop, etc). This way there's a visual record which is date/time stamped of the mileage.

What was the time interval between these two oil changes? Do you log all your gas receipts/mileage?
That's something I should've been doing. I had my car shipped from FL to CT and noticed that there were quite a few extra miles on the odometer. And by "quite a few extra", I mean probably like 30. I had a feeling that the shipping company drove my car lol considering the fact that the AC was on full blast when I got the car.
The DAY it got picked up from home in FL, I video recorded a walkthrough/inspection of the for my own record (or so I thought) and because I was vlogging that day. But... when I was editing, I blurred out different parts (rear end/license plate, dashboard/odometer, front of garage/house #, etc) and ya know what else?

...... all that raw footage is gone. Lmao. I deleted all the raw footage from FCPX and from my external drive when I was cleaning stuff out. Totally forgot about it. So there's no way for me to definitively tell if those 30 "ghost miles" are actually because it was driven... or because I'm just tripping and they don't exist at all. Its something that's been irking me since! No big deal though. Just felt like sharing my misfortune lol.

From now on, for every time I take my car in for service, I'll take a note of the mileage and trip counters, even though I watch my service advisor get into my car and write it down when I get checked in. I normally take a mental note of it and honestly have never suspected the techs/mechanics to take advantage of my dope ride though so no worries for me, really. But it sure wouldn't hurt to take my own notes. :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
^^Found out the state inspection station recorded an incorrect mileage for a car we recently sold. Instead of 22K they put down 42K miles. The car now had just a little over 42K miles. This incorrect info was available through carfax/autoecheck. Had to explain to the buyer it was a mistake. Fortunately we had a relatively full dealer service history record outlining various mileage records for the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
My dealership always puts down the mileage on my car whenever I take it in. They also show the mileage out which is usually the same or 1 mile more.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's highly unlikely that the dealer pulled a Ferris Bueller on your car. I would strongly encourage you to talk to the dealer's General Manager and get the issue straightened out. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I would call Honda Corporate and let them know what's going on.

You will need to have some kind of proof that the car's mileage was as stated. For instance, if you commute to work daily, what's the distance from your house to your work? Have you taken any long trips with the car? What's the furthest distance you've driven with the car? These are some of the questions that Honda will be asking you to substantiate your claim.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
...Just have them plug in the HDS and read the mileage off the ECU. Literally the first screen on firing up the HDS is confirming the gauge cluster reads the same mileage as the ECU does.

I seriously doubt you're in the middle of an elaborate scheme to swap the gauge cluster and reset the ecu with the mileage off the gauge cluster. Even if this did happen, the dealership (and probably corporate Honda) logs the stuff techs are doing on the HDS.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts