Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retrofit Time!

The time has come! I have asked billions of questions and with the support of the people here and other research, I have purchased the Mini D2S with XB LED Angel Eyes. I am very excited to get them in. I've been running on the eBay lights and I have had enough. I got OEM headlights coming my way before Christmas and once my girlfriend and I can get a free day, it's game time!

If any one has any input, suggests, or requests, just let me know. I'll do my best to put up pictures!

Pants116

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
The Mini D2S is going to be just a little more tricky than the Mini H1 series, but you should still be fine as a first timer. You'll just need to enlarge the OEM 9006 bulb holder to fit the MD2S through, and then secure it with the proper washers, locking nut, etc. Good choice though, as you are now free to choose any OEM D2S style bulb you'd like :thmsup:

Throw that eBay garbage away. Or rip out the existing halogen projectors and retrofit the MD2S into them (only if you like their looks and accessories). There are TONS of helpful articles and how-to's on TRS' Website or HIDP has a University Section.

G'luck and keep us posted!

P.S. Spread the word once you notice how easy a simple MH1 or MD2S retro can be and convince the rest of the PnP / eBay projector crowd to follow you ;)

·
Povy > Dreaminaccord
736 Posts
P.S. Spread the word once you notice how easy a simple MH1 or MD2S retro can be and convince the rest of the PnP / eBay projector crowd to follow you ;)
I'm a believer!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:naughty:

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I was following a guide I found on youtube (it was for the mini H1, so mine was slightly different), and I got my projectors so they are in, but they are able to twist a little bit. So, I used gorilla glue, which definitely did the trick, except somehow my passenger side was not straight when the glue dried :(

Any suggestions? It's been my only major problem...other kinks I will work out just fine tomorrow, like making a better connection for my angel eyes and for some reason my blinkers do not work :dunno: But those are easy...how can I fix my projector??

Pants116

Pictures will be up soon!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
In order to retro the MD2S you want to drill the OEM 9006 bulb holder slightly larger to fit the projector through, then secure it with the mounting hardware provided. Gorilla Glue is not a good idea for mounting as it's very hard to undo. Quick drying epoxy or JB weld is a better choice.

You need to somehow get that glue off to free the projector. Never permanently seal a projector until you mount it on the vehicle and get the beam pattern correct. Your lower cutoff should be perpendicular to the ground like so:

Lower cutoff --> ___________/------------------ <-- Upper cutoff

Once you mount the headlamps onto the vehicle and get the projectors where you want them, then you can secure them, however with the rubber washers, threaded locking nut, etc. you shouldn't need to perm seal them into place unless you over-drilled the hole and they are too lose. If anything, you should just need a little bit of thread lock to hold the locking nut in place.

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...I fixed it and aligned the projector so that it is parallel to the ground. It was quite the trip. Went to Florida for a few days without the car, but when I get back I will post cutoff pictures. This is all I have so far:

Attachments

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
What shrouds and you took your high beam bulb out?

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shrouds are Apollo, but they were huge. I cut them down some and over cut a tiny bit and some parts of the projector was showing. I covered most of it in reflective duct tape, which I actually kinda like.

I think I'll put the brights back in, but I'm not sure I like when the halogen mixes with the HID. Plus I have to fix my passenger side brights, as I cut the wire by accident and haven't had the time to fix it :p

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to bump this because I am experiencing more problems and I wasn't finding a whole lot about it...

So, my passenger side LED Angel Eye went out today! I went to the beach with my girlfriend and the Angel Eyes were on the whole time there and back, but when we stopped for gas, the lights were really dim and I didn't even know it was one until I got really close. When I got home, I messed with the wiring to see what I did wrong and came up with nothing I did. When I unplug the capacitor looking things and move the headlight housing to the driver side and plug the angel eye into the capacitor looking thing on that side, it light up like always. I guess I'm just made that it has only been on for under a total of 24 hours and it goes out :(

Next issue...My driver side bright is weird. It doesn't look ANYTHING like the passenger. I noticed that the bulb doesn't lock into place. If the bulb were to be upside down in the projector, would the beam come out weird? I did not get any instructions for the bulb and projector (idk if I was supposed to) but what ever I did to my passenger side to make it lock into place, I did the same thing to my driver side, but the driver side won't lock.

Lastly (I think for now), I am having some glare :\ I didn't paint the reflector black because I have a gold accord and I thought it would look weird with black...I really like the chrome look...what do I do? No light is leaking from the shroud because it's covered in reflective duct tape and connects to the reflector behind it. I didn't really like the Apollo, but I don't mind the way it looks with the tape.

Thank you all!
Pants116

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yet Another Retrofit Questions

This was something I thought about and did some research, but didn't come across anything. I cut and spliced a wire in my OEM fog lights so that I can turn them on without the headlights on. Now, if I leave them on when I shut off the car and lights, when I hit lock/unlock on the key, they will flash (unless I specifically press the fog lights button).

In addition, I retrofitted and put my LED Angel Eyes on the parking light. When I lock/unlock, they flash, too. Bottom line, can you make it so they don't flash, but they are still on the parking light wire?

Thanks,
Pants116

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
You obviously didn't test which wires you were tapping into. You want to tap into a 12V that is only powered when the ignition is ON - not powered at all times. As far as your fog lights, look into a Share-A-Fuse and wire their harness up to a fuse that is, again, only powered with the ignition ON. I tapped into the fuse for my power passenger window - works perfect. I can run my fogs at any time, just never do :thmsup:

·
veesix
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I wire my angel eyes into some other 12V that is only powered with ignition, but wire my ground into the negative on the parking lights, it will only turn on when I turn on the parking lights and have the engine on? That's pretty smart. I do like that if I leave my lights on, I can lock the car and then unlock it and the lights will be on for about 20-30 seconds. I'd lose that function, wouldn't I?

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Please post in this thread instead of starting a new thread every time you have a question that is related to this retrofit. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts