Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
what gear?
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have touch up paint, I was wondering if quixx paint scratch remover would help hide it?

here is the pic

I thought I should use touch up paint first, let it dry for a couple of days and then use the quixx wet grit paper and 1 and 2 formula to touch it up

yay or nay?

thanks and god bless
aem

if anyone has any other ideas i would really appreciate it

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
First you should try light compound on a well dampened rag. If that does not remove it or if the paint is actually damaged beyond the clear coat (hard to tell in the pic) it may be time for an ugly touch up job or a door repaint.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it is beyond the clearcoat then you should try paintscratch.com spray can. I used it when my dad scratched up my left side pretty bad when he backed it up near a brick wall. The paint match is pretty good and most people can't tell unless I point it out to them and they get close to it. Not perfect, but beats looking at what I had all day.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
any other ideas?
There really are no magic bullet paint fixes. Either touch it up (which will look touched up) or repaint it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out the "how-to-articles" forum on meguiaresonline.com and you'll find a write up on light scratch repair. If you're through the clear coat, you have to move on to the "wet sanding, color sanding and chip repair" forum and you'll see a number of threads about fixing deep scratches, etc. I've repaired a number of deep scratches over the years with great results. Just take your time and understand that there is no quick/easy fix once you're dealing with a scratch that's through the clear coat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh yeah, you may also want to give Dr. Colorchip a try. I've used their paint matched system to repair stone chips on the front of my daily drivers with good results. I've never used it to repair more than stone chips, so I can't speak for how it would do on a scratch.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
Here's the deal. If you don't know what you are doing, I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST any type of sanding. I made the mistake of trying wet sanding to remove couple of 1/4 deep (beyond clear coat) scratches on my fender and I made it WORSE. It would've been much better for me to just fill the scratches with OEM touch up paint using the tip of a toothpick (better than the brush or tip that comes with OEM touchup paint).

Here are you options:

1) Use OEM touchup paint and the tip of a toothpick to carefully fill the scratches. Make sure you take your time and use magnifying glass if you have one.

2) Use one of those mobile or store paint chip/ding repair services. I've used them couple of times on my previous cars and they actually do a very good job. It was around $100-$150 for a quarter sized paint chip.

GL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts