Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on a little road trip with a friend heading to the beach. The drive is about 5.5 hours. We make it to Mobile, Al and we merge on the interstate. I accelerate to go around a slow moving 18 wheeler and my car loses all power and check engine light is flashing. I have a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10 speed. I limp along the shoulder and take the next exit and coast into a gas station. Call a local dealer, have the car towed, get a rental and continue on my trip. Well I get a call yesterday morning, the tech took it for a spin with the computer hooked up and on his short drive it has 18 misfires on cylinder 1. The tech sees an update for something and updates the car. Drives it again and no misfires. He wants the car to be cold and test it one more time so it cools off after lunch and he drives it again. I don’t know what the outcome of that second cold run is except they are replacing all of my fuel injectors on a car with less than 15k miles. I should hopefully get my car back today as I’m leaving to go home tomorrow and the dealer is closed on Sunday.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

This is my 4th Accord and while it’s my favorite body style thus far, I’ve had more problems out of this Accord than any of my previous 5.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a real bad vibration when i would rev it to 1500. When the wrecker truck got there to tow me to the dealer, it couldn’t even move on it’s own. The guy had to tow it up on the truck.

Then when I got to the dealer, it started up fine and had power and drove like normal. But luckily the codes saved in the computer.

·
302 Posts
Sounds like this is mostly going on with 2.0 touring. Could it be programming for different driving modes that is causing it? I don't know, just sounds crazy to have misfires and bad injectors at that mileage. Maybe driving modes control amount of throttle?

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Was it raining?

Check Engine Light (CEL) in the rain, went into Limp Mode

Reactions: tacthecat

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in just in normal mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
2018 LX
171 Posts
Switch to Top Tier Gasoline, had all these hiccups when I bought my 2018 LX back in 2017. Haven’t had a one since I started using Shell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch to Top Tier Gasoline, had all these hiccups when I bought my 2018 LX back in 2017. Haven’t had a one since I started using Shell.

I only use Shell or Chevron.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It's probably a manufacturing error or design error with the injectors or your injectors were carboned up. Other than using top tier gas and flooring it, not much you can do with this design.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shell gas here and only 91. Dealership took a look at it and nothing came up. Travelled the rest of the trip and no issues. No rain at the time for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shell gas here and only 91. Dealership took a look at it and nothing came up. Travelled the rest of the trip and no issues. No rain at the time for me.

I had been driving in rain for over 3 hours without an issue until I got on the interstate.

If I remember to I will upload a copy of the service receipt to show what all they did to my car. I picked it from the dealer this afternoon after they had it for almost 2 days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So far I'm being led to suspect that rain/moisture along with fuel choice (89 octane vs 91 or 93 octane) are implicated in the fouling of one or more fuel injectors. And, shutting down the engine for a few minutes and restarting results in a cure and continuing as if nothing happened to cause going into limp mode. And no codes!

Since I have lots of time on my hands I went through a touchless car wash, raised the hood and checked to see what was wet. Nothing under the hood was wet!

The car wash has an undercarriage wash so I went through again. The engine was not wet and the shielding pieces that protect the engine apparently did their job.

That leaves the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel rail and the individual injectors...dirt from manufacturing, junk in the fuel, crumby parts - or, dirty fuel.

I checked NHTSA https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/HONDA/ACCORD/4%2520DR/FWD and became absorbed by memories of our '04 red Accord. Great car, but the clear coat failed (2008) and Honda claimed it was wear and tear. Riiiight! A garage queen protected by an assortment of Zaino products and only washed by hand.

So, anyhow, if this is another "don't admit nuttin!" strategy from Honda it will be a pity. Especially for some hapless driver in the middle lane of a five lane highway during rush hour. And all those around and traveling in the vicinity of said hapless driver!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got another tow today in Waco, TX. I left my car 300 miles away. Had no other choice it did it to me twice today once getting on the highway and another while passing at 75mph had to cross 3 lanes to exit. Kinda of scary at that speed and car not responding to gas pedal.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I had been driving in rain for over 3 hours without an issue until I got on the interstate.

If I remember to I will upload a copy of the service receipt to show what all they did to my car. I picked it from the dealer this afternoon after they had it for almost 2 days.

Please load it because I want them to do the same for me. It was raining all day today on my way back.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the only thing my car has in common, 9th gen with 100k+ is it's 4 cyl...
But the symptoms were the same, try to go full power at 70 MPH = Flashing engine light, limp mode.
Pull over, restart..A-ok. Engine light is off....... But if it did it again, I would get 4 or 5 lights that could not be reset. Car would restart and act normal though..
In the end, my new-ish plugs had a very big gap.Maybe ".080.... And they went in looking fine.....Re-gapped and no problems since...

Ultimately Honda screwed around when I took it in with the 4-5 lights on, they were vague on codes and charged me .5 hours... They just reset the codes...
Did it again a couple days later and I had autozone pull codes... My codes were cylinder misfires as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts