Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my 2009 EXL-V6 started misfiring and the CEL came on. The car continued to run very rough until driven home. After sitting for a while, the problem went away and I drove it about 10 miles to my dealer, but there were no codes to be found. The tech informed me that "there should be a code", but this is the second time this has happened to me with this car.

Has anybody else had a CEL and no code?

I'm having ongoing oil consumption issues and had fouled plugs last summer (cylinder #3 misfire) related to the VCM issues, so my guess is this is a repeat of that problem, but the tech was baffled that no code showed up. I've gotten my VCM lawsuit letter, but Honda won't do the fix until I get another misfire code. Well I've had cylinder misfiring, but no code.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
From what a tech told me... if you should start the car and drive 3 times before checking the code, it will reset as long as the issue resolves itself. I assume the issue becomes noticeable when not taking sort drives.

I would get an ODBII dongle (USB or Blue tooth) and scan the error when the CEL comes back. Just to make sure you do see a code.

If at all possible take the care straight to Honda and have them look at it, even if you have to wait an hour. I would also keep the engine on with the CEL showing, so the tech can see it, without righting it off, if there is an issue with the ECU resetting because off a faulty fuse or wire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what a tech told me... if you should start the car and drive 3 times before checking the code, it will reset as long as the issue resolves itself. I assume the issue becomes noticeable when not taking sort drives.

I would get an ODBII dongle (USB or Blue tooth) and scan the error when the CEL comes back. Just to make sure you do see a code.

If at all possible take the care straight to Honda and have them look at it, even if you have to wait an hour. I would also keep the engine on with the CEL showing, so the tech can see it, without righting it off, if there is an issue with the ECU resetting because off a faulty fuse or wire.
Thanks, that is good information. I shut the car off twice (once at home and a 2nd time at the dealer check-in bay). I have no idea how many times they moved the car around before trying to pull the codes.

If at all possible, I'll bring it to the dealer before shutting it off.

I have a cheapie ODBII blue tooth scanner made by BAFX and Torque installed on a tablet. I'm kicking myself for not pulling the code myself before bringing it in. However, I need to make sure Honda sees the code since they will be doing the warranty work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts