Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last few weeks, I've been having some trouble with my car. It feels like it's been very slightly giving me less power here and there, kind of quickly in and out, if that makes any sense? I'm not a mechanic and definitely not a writer so, it is difficult to explain.

I've been super busy and haven't had time to run by the shop. I purchased my car abut 8,000 miles ago from a mom and pop dealer that I have purchased cars from in the past and are very good trustworthy people. I did all the proper research on the car before purchasing and came up to be a great find/buy. I have had no problems with my car besides a dead battery due to a involuntary accessory draining power. Replaced the battery and fixed the problem.

Well, today my 80,000 mile 2005 accord sedan V6 AT engine light came on. I rushed over to the shop and they plugged her in, the quick diagnosis(I had to get back to work, and they were swamped) was that the 1st and 5th cylinders were misfiring. My mechanic seemed concerned and I will be dropping it off Monday but until then, I am wondering if any of you fine, mechanically inclined, DA members, may have some insight to what is going on...:dunno:

Thanks for your time!:thmsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Probably one or all of the following.

Plus, coils, bad gas.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Cheap things to replace/check:
1. Plugs
2. Fuel filter
3. PCV valve
4. Clean MAP sensor
5. New air filter

Things to look for:
1. Radiator fluid in your oil
2. Black carbon in your radiator fluid (overfill tank)
3. White smoke from exhaust (due to oil burning)

1 and 2 could be from a head gasket leak. If your cylinders loose pressure they will not fire. If your cylinders do not have the proper air and fuel mixtures they will not fire; hence why you should check plugs, and fuel filter. If the oil is getting into the cylinder and clogging the plugs or delaying the ignition the ignition in the cylinder wont be right.

Those are just my initial thoughts to check.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When did CEL appear? During cold start?
There are two possibilities for this.
1) Time to update your PCM (there is TSB floating around)
2) Time to adjust your valve clearance

·
my wheels do work...
145 Posts
Sorry to be rude, above posters are wrong as to the cause -

The Three Codes you got were most definitley P0300, P0301, P0305, (Cyl 1, Cyl 5 and Multiple/Random Cyl Misfires codes) its the Crank Position Sensor - I've had the problem before, and that was the cause, especially since its cylinders 1 and 5 misfiring. go one v6p.net, all the info is there. Nothing to worry about as it is a known issue and usually comes and goes sporadically

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and the helpful advice! i did a little more research on the crankshaft position sensor and this sounds exactly like what is happening with my car. I will ask my mechanic on Monday.

Have any of you guys replaced this part yourself?

·
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
654 Posts
Yes, more than likely it is the Crank Position Sensor as 05AV6 says.

Also it may be worth it to inspect the timing belt too, since to get to the sensor you have to remove the belt covers anyways. Look for 1st if it is aligned at top dead center (cam pulleys and crank pulley all indicator markings are aligned) and 2nd if it is missing any teeth!

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Sorry to be rude, above posters are wrong as to the cause -

The Three Codes you got were most definitley P0300, P0301, P0305, (Cyl 1, Cyl 5 and Multiple/Random Cyl Misfires codes) its the Crank Position Sensor - I've had the problem before, and that was the cause, especially since its cylinders 1 and 5 misfiring. go one v6p.net, all the info is there. Nothing to worry about as it is a known issue and usually comes and goes sporadically
DUH....I totally forgot. I replaced the crank and cam sensors on my subaru when I had the same problem before I thought it was the head gasket. Nice call with that one. They are really cheap and easy to replace. Definitely something to look into before doing anything else.

Thanks for the replies and the helpful advice! i did a little more research on the crankshaft position sensor and this sounds exactly like what is happening with my car. I will ask my mechanic on Monday.

Have any of you guys replaced this part yourself?
Now does the car actually buck and shake? With my subaru, I would be getting misfire codes but it wouldnt shake. So I thats why I thought the misfire was a bad sensor. But then again, if the sensor is giving faulty signals to the ECU then maybe the car is getting confused and misfiring itself?

·
Top Gear Baby!
157 Posts
I got codes for cylinders 1,2,3,4,5,6 + random cylinder misfire the other day. Do you think its a the crank position sensor? This has happened before but it went away on its own. The CEL came on during a cold start on a colder day. Just passed 105,000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts