Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just check my catch can for the first time after 500 miles. It was just over half full, smells like gas..

Is there something I should be concerned about my car??? Why is there so damn much.

1.5T

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
146 Posts
How many miles on the car? It may still be breaking in but yes that's a fair amount. This is why all of these cars need a catch can, regardless of how good the redesigned valve cover system is - you don't want that crap draining back to the sump, it just dilutes the oil more

Since Mishimoto is out of stock until May on the 2.0, I went with this universal one by Radium Engineering - I like the fact it has a dipstick
https://www.maperformance.com/products/radium-engineering-universal-single-catch-can-20-0008

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on the car? It may still be breaking in but yes that's a fair amount. This is why all of these cars need a catch can, regardless of how good the redesigned valve cover system is - you don't want that crap draining back to the sump, it just dilutes the oil more

Since Mishimoto is out of stock until May on the 2.0, I went with this universal one by Radium Engineering - I like the fact it has a dipstick
https://www.maperformance.com/products/radium-engineering-universal-single-catch-can-20-0008
I have 7k, I'll admit I have been a little rough on the car I drive over the pass in Oregon and I speed around quite a bit in the mountains.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I like that this RE can is 8 ounce capacity, and has the dipstick too. What size inlet/outlet fittings did you use on your 2.0? How was the mounting?
Thanks

·
Need more BOOST
76 Posts
I've got 5400 miles clocked (about half with the catch can) and I had mine emptied for the first time yesterday. There was a little less than 1/4 of the can filled. It was straight up oil, no gas or gas smell. I don't beat the piss out of the car but I don't baby it either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I empty the catch can every Saturday morning - part of regular monitoring and maintenance. However, and for some reason I don't remember, I was under the notion that emptying the can every oil change was the routine - no bueno. Then it seems like every 1,000 miles was suggested. Not a good idea either. Then I became aware of the amount of condensation that would add to the contents of the catch can... So, it has to be every week and, in my opinion, it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
So just check my catch can for the first time after 500 miles. It was just over half full, smells like gas..

Is there something I should be concerned about my car??? Why is there so damn much.

1.5T

I had a catch can on my GTI and it would fill with a frothy, brown-red, sticky mixture of oil, gas and water. Very gross. There was no question that it filled faster when I drove hard. The more you are on boost, the more blow by you get. And I drove my GTI medium-hard - difficult to not enjoy that car. But I could empty 6-8oz every month or so, perhaps a little more in colder temps.

Apparently Honda’s turbo engines are not immune to pumping some amount of sludge back into the intake manifold. I bet you are thankful you have that can. Or better yet, you will be thankful when the car has 90,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question, where do we dump the content of the catch can? I guess, the question is... what is the proper way to dump this? Same method as used oil?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Question, where do we dump the content of the catch can? I guess, the question is... what is the proper way to dump this? Same method as used oil?
Yes, same method as used oil. At an auto parts store you can buy a used oil storage container (holds enough for 2-3 full oil changes). Just dump it in there. You can take this container by the auto parts store to dispose of it whenever you want.

So far my catch can contents has been enough it soaks up fine in a few shop towels / paper towels.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I like that this RE can is 8 ounce capacity, and has the dipstick too. What size inlet/outlet fittings did you use on your 2.0? How was the mounting?
Thanks
I went with 0.375" barb which is closer to the stock hoses (even though larger hoses are generally preferred). I'm going to mount it this weekend with some 1/4" aluminum bar stock and will post a picture

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with 0.375" barb which is closer to the stock hoses (even though larger hoses are generally preferred). I'm going to mount it this weekend with some 1/4" aluminum bar stock and will post a picture
Thanks. The picture will be helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2.0 and installed a Mishimoto catch can. Checked it after 700 miles and found 10 ml/0.33 ounces of oil in the catch can.

Oil used: Pennzoil Platinum 0w2/20 synthetic
Region: Massachusetts
Daily use: commute of 45 miles througround trip through several towns
Warm up: 10 minutes in the morning
Drive style: mildly agressive with the gas pedal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did those fitting sizes work out for you? Can you share some insights on the installation process? And if possible, a photo of where you mounted would be highly appreciated!
Lastly, how is the catch can working out for you?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
2nd drain of the catch can: 740 km - 124 ml of shmoo.

The shmoo has a few ml of "creamed coffee" at the top and the rest is a deep red and smells like gasoline.

It occurs to me that most of this stuff would have been best burnt in the combustion chamber other than the "creamed coffee" shmoo.

I look forward to seeing what it looks like in summer driving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My initial catch can findings.....
First check after 990 miles and it is pretty much bone dry. This is on a 2019 1.5 CVT. I know driving style and climate play a huge role, I live in Florida and drive very easy, seldom enter boost. I actually double checked to make sure this kit is installed properly as I was expecting to find some fluid. Will check back after 3000 miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts