Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I am looking at getting the
Mishimoto MMBCC-CBTWO-XLBK XL Baffled Oil Catch Can. I noticed that the fittings are 5/8". Are these the correct size for the 2.4L Accords? I emailed them and they don't sell the 3/8" (but they do come with the Civic Catch cans). I tried looking around (on the internet) for these fittings. They are around, but not cheap.
So what size hose fittings are you guys using?
I spent way to long researching this and I am still confused.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
266 Posts
3/8. They are cheap.
The next part is going to blow your mind... auto parts store, hardware store, or home improvement center.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hey everybody,
I am looking at getting the
Mishimoto MMBCC-CBTWO-XLBK XL Baffled Oil Catch Can. I noticed that the fittings are 5/8". Are these the correct size for the 2.4L Accords? I emailed them and they don't sell the 3/8" (but they do come with the Civic Catch cans). I tried looking around (on the internet) for these fittings. They are around, but not cheap.
So what size hose fittings are you guys using?
I spent way to long researching this and I am still confused.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan,
I'd be interested to see your setup when you're finished, if possible.
Still researching these myself.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
EDIT!! this was in a 10th gen. While I have no reason to believe that they would change the hoses, they could have anyway. i say pop the hood and measure yourself to be certain
_
3/8 vs 5/8 inside or outside diameter? I got a kit from evil energy for like $30 that came with the correct hoses. product page says 3/8. the kit comes with no mounting hardware, so i can't recommend it for most people. mounting was an issue, but fitting into the system was trivial and represented about 2% of the overall installation time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081N392BN/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3/8. They are cheap.
The next part is going to blow your mind... auto parts store, hardware store, or home improvement center.
According to Mishimoto the fittings are M16x1.5.
Is that a common size?
My local hardware store does not sell M16 fittings.
I can find brass ones on Amazon, but I heard brass and aluminum don't mix...so I am more confused.
Is anyone using brass fittings on their catch cans?

i say pop the hood and measure yourself to be certain
I was going to, but it was more effort to check it than I had time to.
I guess I am going to have to pull it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed the Mishimoto Oil Catch Can. Coincidently, the Accord just turned 82,000 miles.
First, I am not going to do a step-by-step installation because I used this YouTube video as a guide

and you can too.
Second, here is the breakdown of the cost:
Mishimoto MMBCC-CBTWO-XLBK Amazon $140
Fumoto F108N Engine Oil Drain Valve Amazon $27
M16 x 1.5 to 10mm Barb Aluminum Straight Fuel Fittings with O-Ring eBay $23 for 2
(sites that I read said to use aluminum because electrolysis happens with dissimilar metals)
3/8” x 3 ft tubing for drain $5 (I think I used about 2 feet)
3/8” x 1 ft fuel line $5 (I only used about 8 inches)
Total $200

I chose this particular catch can due to the size. The other Mishimoto can I found is 3 ounces. This one is 7.5 ounces. The dimensions are 6-1/4” tall and 2-1/4” in diameter with no fittings. It came with fittings, but they are 1/2” and the PCV hose is 3/8”. So I found ones on eBay. By the way, these are same ones on Amazon (Autobahn88). I also chose the Fumoto Drain Valve, because I didn’t like the Mishimoto drain (it keeps oil in the tube and I could see the hose breaking down and oil spilling everywhere) and I was not going to remove the can every time I need to drain it. I drilled holes to the stock bracket (as shown in the video). I was going to use nut and bolt, but when I test fit the can there was no way I could fit a lock washer and nut when the can is mounted Like the guy did in the video. So I tapped the bracket for a M5 bolt and used that (like the picture shows). During the final fit, I actually could have used a nut and bolt. I mounted the bracket and the can mount as one piece. I removed the plug on the bottom and attached the drain. I had to eye ball where the can was going to sit so I could align the drain lever so I could reach it. Then I attached the drain hose and routed it straight down between the drive shaft and the steering rod. And then I zip-tied it to the sway for easy access. Then I mounted the can to the bracket. Unlike the video. I was able to connect the old PCV hose to the In after I mounted the can. I then lined up the Out of the can to be in line with the manifold. I cut about 8” of fuel line and used some old 9/16” hose clamps (the O.D. of the 3/8” fuel line is 9/16”). I then tightened the can mounting screws. 2 out of the 3 screws were easy to tighten down, but the third was a little tricky because it is hidden under the cowl and my Allen wrench was to tall. Luckily I had a ball end Allen wrench (2.5mm) which got me to about 90% tight. Hopefully it won’t back out. Finally I checked that I moved all the clamps and that the drain was closed (spoiler it was not…good thing I checked). Check out the pictures and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent post! I’m thinking about going for this same setup. Have you attempted to empty it yet? I’m curious how much is drained out and if it’s worth it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been 2,000 miles since I installed the catch can and when I drained it only drips came out. I thought my hoses came off, but everything was good. I guess the 3 ounce can would have been fine after all.
By the way, don’t spray engine cleaner on it or it will put a white looking film on it. I had to use apple cider vinegar to get it back to black.
Alan

·
Registered
2013 Touring 6 spd MT
206 Posts
Just curious. Any cases of valve problems from the direct injections? Any reports of benefits from using catch-cans? How efficient does any catch-can filter out oil from entering into the intake manifold?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts