Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 07 Accord on Saturday, coming from a '13 Kia with a sealed transmission. I didn't even think to look for this, but after poking around the engine to learn some new stuff, I found that this car does in fact have a dipstick. Or rather, it's supposed to. Apparently the last owner had a local shop do a tranny flush 2 months ago and I'm guessing they forgot to put the dipstick back in because it is definitely not in there. And I know the last owner didn't do anything with it because I don't think he even knew how to open the hood.

Long story short, I ordered a new dipstick from autozone that will be in tomorrow. Since the tube has been open for 2 months, do you guys think there would be moisture or dirt that may have contaminated the transmission? I was considering doing 3 drain and refills and changing the filter to be safe. Thoughts?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Regardless of the dipstick situation, I would say to do a 3x drain and fill of the transmission, driving around a short distance between each. Personally I only use Honda fluid (DW-1 for an auto) look around at local dealers, you can usually get it cheaper than the AutoZone stuff.

As for the dipstick, I don't have any experience with the AutoZone replacements, buy I'd honestly consider just picking one up at the dealer too (it's about $12 at my local dealer)

Also, you didn't say if this was a v6 or a 4 Cylinder. Generally should be the same advise for a 4 Cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Welcome to DA.
Good on ya for spotting the missing dipstick! Many buyers wouldn't even look for it.
In addition to the 3X drain and refill on the tranny fluid, as a new 7th gen owner, I'd read this thread also!
Tons of good info to get you started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless of the dipstick situation, I would say to do a 3x drain and fill of the transmission, driving around a short distance between each. Personally I only use Honda fluid (DW-1 for an auto) look around at local dealers, you can usually get it cheaper than the AutoZone stuff.

As for the dipstick, I don't have any experience with the AutoZone replacements, buy I'd honestly consider just picking one up at the dealer too (it's about $12 at my local dealer)
Thanks!

Welcome to DA.
Good on ya for spotting the missing dipstick! Many buyers wouldn't even look for it.
In addition to the 3X drain and refill on the tranny fluid, as a new 7th gen owner, I'd read this thread also!
Tons of good info to get you started.
Thank you! Great write up on that thread as well! Thank you guys for the help. 👌

What do you guys think - If I'm doing a 3x drain and fill, is it best to relplace the filter during the first drain or the 3rd?

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
What do you guys think - If I'm doing a 3x drain and fill, is it best to relplace the filter during the first drain or the 3rd?
The 3rd and final drain and fill procedure is when you should change the external ATF filter on the 4 cylinder's automatic transmission. That OEM filter has a bypass, so if it were clogged, you would not lose flow rate. Hence, change it at the end of your drain and fill cycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3rd and final drain and fill procedure is when you should change the external ATF filter on the 4 cylinder's automatic transmission. That OEM filter has a bypass, so if it were clogged, you would not lose flow rate. Hence, change it at the end of your drain and fill cycle.
Prefect, thank you!

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
^And I should have mentioned that you may lose a few tablespoons or even up to an ounce of ATF when you disconnect the hoses on either side of the filter, so be prepared to add same back in. It's not much, but just so you know.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Best price for the filter is on Amazon but watch out for China knock- offs. 3 d/f's will get you to approximately 83% newer fluid, 4 - 92%. Change the other fluids, coolant, P.S., brake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^And I should have mentioned that you may lose a few tablespoons or even up to an ounce of ATF when you disconnect the hoses on either side of the filter, so be prepared to add same back in. It's not much, but just so you know.
Good to know 👌

If you have a 4-cylinder engine, get these for dealing with the spring clamps on the filter. At least 10" long.

View attachment 520850
Thank you!

Best price for the filter is on Amazon but watch out for China knock- offs. 3 d/f's will get you to approximately 83% newer fluid, 4 - 92%. Change the other fluids, coolant, P.S., brake.
Thanks! I grabbed a filter at the dealer today. I know I paid more but I read somewhere else to watch out for knock offs too so I wanted to be safe. I appreciate the percentage info too 👍🏻

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a final update here on this. Everything went very well. I got super paranoid on making sure the final fluid level was perfecto. Side note, in the process of changing the transmission filter, I removed the air hose and housing. Before all this I had a weird idle issue where at a stop, it would sit around 750, drop suddenly (to around 500), shoot up to around 1000 and then level out again. At one point it even stalled out. While I had it apart I cleaned the throttle body and when all was reconnected, did the idle relearn procedure. Now everything is working fine. Not sure if it was the throttle body, the relearn, or perhaps there was a vacuum leak before from a poor connection. Either way, everything is running great now! Thanks for all the help, all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts