Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it, the MM does not actually "test" the oil in any way, but uses an algorithm to determine oil change interval. If I decide to use synthetic, which presumably has a longer change interval, is the MM still useful/accurate?
Sidebar question: I have a 2014 I4 6MT...did my car come factory equipped with Dino or synthetic oil ?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
As I understand it, the MM does not actually "test" the oil in any way, but uses an algorithm to determine oil change interval. If I decide to use synthetic, which presumably has a longer change interval, is the MM still useful/accurate?
Sidebar question: I have a 2014 I4 6MT...did my car come factory equipped with Dino or synthetic oil ?
You are correct that the MM uses an algorithm and has nothing to do with the oil itself. The car comes with full synthetic oil and my dealer tells me that's what they replace it with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know there is a lot of debate about the longevity of oil but mine is going to be changed at 6000-6500 with 0W-20 Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy with a Wix Filter. Honda filters are made by FRAM with cardboard end-caps, no thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The MM will always be useful because some people forget when was the last time they change the oil. In terms of accuracy, well it will measure the oil life based on your driving habits. The MM does not know whether you're using synthetic or conventional oil, you're the one who knows what type of oil you use. Most people change the oil between 7k-8k miles.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I know there is a lot of debate about the longevity of oil but mine is going to be changed at 6000-6500 with 0W-20 Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy with a Wix Filter. Honda filters are made by FRAM with cardboard end-caps, no thanks!
And you know that the filter is no good based on what analysis? You do know that's the same filter your Honda came with from the factory, right? You know that's the same filter that Honda designed the MM to call out to be changed every oil change, right?

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why would you change your oil based on miles instead of the MM? Honda's engineers created the algorithm in the MM to protect the engine as a function of your driving habits and to protect the environment. How do you know that Honda oil filters are made by FRAM? What's wrong with them? Also, if you change the filter at every oil change, as my dealer recommends, why use a different filter? My dealer has been changing the oil on both my previous Hondas for years and the engines run great and the oil is always clean between oil changes. You could change your oil and filter once a month or everyday if it makes you feel better.

Question: How can you tell a safety expert?
Answer: He wears both a belt and suspenders :banana:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why would you change your oil based on miles instead of the MM? Honda's engineers created the algorithm in the MM to protect the engine as a function of your driving habits and to protect the environment. How do you know that Honda oil filters are made by FRAM? What's wrong with them? Also, if you change the filter at every oil change, as my dealer recommends, why use a different filter? My dealer has been changing the oil on both my previous Hondas for years and the engines run great and the oil is always clean between oil changes. You could change your oil and filter once a month or everyday if it makes you feel better.

Honda factory filters are made by Honeywell, the makers of FRAM. I have used FRAM in the past with no problems I just don't care for paper end caps. I understand that most people wait until the MM tells to change the oil but I always have changed mine around 6,000 in the past. This is just personal preference and it has no drastic impact on the environment. Besides I give all my old used oil to my local mechanic who burns it in the winter.

And you know that the filter is no good based on what analysis? You do know that's the same filter your Honda came with from the factory, right? You know that's the same filter that Honda designed the MM to call out to be changed every oil change, right?

Jay
You are misinformed. I never said the filter was no good, I just prefer to use one with metal end caps. The MM system is not designed around a specific oil filter anyway.

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
551 Posts
This post is under the 9th gen Accord, at least as of my post it has not been moved yet. Anyway, the 9th gen I4 uses 0w-20, I'm not sure about the V6. It is my understanding all 0w20 oil is synthetic or a synthetic blend.

You also run the risk of voiding the warranty should you go longer. However I have never been asked for proof of oil changes for wartanty work on any of my older Accords.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
since the car comes with a synthetic blend, it'll be accurate enough for full synthetic

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts

Simple. Many people who spend a decent amount on time on bobistheoilguy think they know everything about oil and oil filters. There is a misconception that FRam filters are terrible and won't perform as well as other filters in normal servcice. The hundreds of thousands of engines that run hundreds of thousands of miles on FRam filters say otherwise, proving these oil filter wannbe experts wrong.

·
Registered
81 Posts
0w20 is only available in full synthetic or synthetic blend. As long as that's going in the car there should be no issue.

·
4,339 Posts
You are misinformed. I never said the filter was no good, I just prefer to use one with metal end caps. The MM system is not designed around a specific oil filter anyway.
On the contrary I am well informed, that is why I can question what you said. You implied that the Honda filters were no good because they are made by the same company that makes a Fram filter. But, you did not back it up with anything. I am pretty sure Honda designed the MM with their filters in mind. ;)

Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the contrary I am well informed, that is why I can question what you said. You implied that the Honda filters were no good because they are made by the same company that makes a Fram filter. But, you did not back it up with anything. I am pretty sure Honda designed the MM with their filters in mind. ;)Jay
I have been doing my own oil changes for over 10 years. The best oil filter IMO you can buy is Wix/Napa Gold. Fram at one point in time used to be produced by a company named AlliedSignal and let me tell you they made excellent filters. After Fram was dumped off to Honeywell is when their quality gradually deteriorated. Run what you want, I am sure you will have no problems either way this is just how I view it.

Napa Gold/Wix
Fram/Honda

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
On the contrary I am well informed, that is why I can question what you said. You implied that the Honda filters were no good because they are made by the same company that makes a Fram filter. But, you did not back it up with anything. I am pretty sure Honda designed the MM with their filters in mind. ;)

Jay
I cut a Honda aka Fram filter open a couple/few years back. At that time at least they really were then current Fram junk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Jay
I cut a Honda aka Fram filter open a couple/few years back. At that time at least they really were then current Fram junk. Fram may actually be normally adequate in usual service but I prefer higher quality stuff and won't use them.

·
4,339 Posts
I have been doing my own oil changes for over 10 years. The best oil filter IMO you can buy is Wix/Napa Gold. Fram at one point in time used to be produced by a company named AlliedSignal and let me tell you they made excellent filters. After Fram was dumped off to Honeywell is when their quality gradually deteriorated. Run what you want, I am sure you will have no problems either way this is just how I view it.

Napa Gold/Wix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ0pp2pneY
Fram/Honda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
I cut a Honda aka Fram filter open a couple/few years back. At that time at least they really were then current Fram junk
If the length of time someone had been doing oil changes makes them an expert then I win, I've been doing them since the late 80s.

So far all anyone has told me is that when they cut open a Honda filter it looks like a Fram filter inside. But, unfortunately filters are not pieces of art and made to be looked at. They are to filter oil and no one has proved that the Honda filter filters to a sub standard level then a WIX, purlator, K&N or similar.

On the Mopar forums it was "cool" to bash the Mopar filters. Until I ran them 15,000mi with Mobil1 and my oil was just as clean as a 6,000mi oil change by performing a OA on samples. A BMW looks well built next to a Honda, but we all know which one has a better chance of going 300,000mi. You can't gauge how well something will do its job by looking at it, you have to test it.

Has anyone done that? I am asking because I have a Honda filter sitting on my tool box with my Accord at 20% oil life.

Jay

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If the length of time someone had been doing oil changes makes them an expert than I win, I've been doing them since the late 80s.
Jay
Not hardly, young'un. Did my first oil change by myself at the age of 14. That was 1957. 'Course back then there were no oil filters to worry about except as optional on brand new. :drink:

·
4,339 Posts
Ok, you win! We should move on. Thank you!
Pardon me for asking for facts over feelings. I work in industrial maintenance and every week I have salesman standing I my office telling me how their product is better. They try to show me how it's better built and crafted to perform. I have to protect my equipment and investment, and question their claims.

Not hardly, young'un. Did my first oil change by myself at the age of 14. That was 1957. 'Course back then there were no oil filters to worry about except as optional on brand new. :drink:
What did people argue about on the internet back then? ;)

Jay

1 - 20 of 37 Posts