Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wish i cud piss 93 octane
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of us on the forums that are in the same boat as I am ... who have leased a 9th generation but your heart starts beating like a cho cho train when you see everyone else trying all this interesting stuff out ....

I would want some feedback from those who have leased there 9th generation Accords to share their mods and if someone has gone too far with a mod, how do they plan to get away with it later on when its time to turn the car in. And of course, everyone else is still welcome to share their ideas as long as they don't offend anyone else !

I'll start with a list and guys feel free to add to it:

1) Tints (obviously no penalty for that)
2) HID swap (no drilling/ bolting, only zip ties etc.)
3) After market wheels
4) Sub-woofer replacement ? (possible but a PITA)

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of us on the forums that are in the same boat as I am ... who have leased a 9th generation but your heart starts beating like a cho cho train when you see everyone else trying all this interesting stuff out ....

I would want some feedback from those who have leased there 9th generation Accords to share their mods and if someone has gone too far with a mod, how do they plan to get away with it later on when its time to turn the car in. And of course, everyone else is still welcome to share their ideas as long as they don't offend anyone else !

I'll start with a list and guys feel free to add to it:

1) Tints (obviously no penalty for that)
2) HID swap (no drilling/ bolting, only zip ties etc.)
3) After market wheels
4) Sub-woofer replacement ? (possible but a PITA)
Not leasing, but short ram intake and exhaust are easy enough to revert to stock

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I agree with Alex185 - return everything "stock" and you'd have no restrictions. Moreover, some inspector might not notice all the mods that you have on your car anyway (e.g., OEM trunk lip spoiler, vinyl wrap, etc.). With some of the mods at least, you would want to take them out and sell them in any case.

In my case, I have only the cosmetic mods shown in my signature. However, I intend to exercise the purchase option in the end so all of that is moot.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My dealer told me that mods are fine as long as nothing irreversible is done. OEM add-ons such as spoilers and body kits which may require drilling or cutting are fine, as long as such mods are genuine Honda parts and preferably installed by a Honda dealer. Mods such as intakes and exhausts are fine, as long as they simply "bolt on" and require no cutting of any stock components to fit. The impression I got from my dealer is, as long as the car can be returned to stock form with no residual evidence anything was ever done, you can get away with it. Obviously a name-brand intake or exhaust will be perfectly fine, but something like having an exhaust shop hack your exhaust in the middle to convert your single exhaust to dual is a no-no. That is, unless you're willing to shell out the money to replace such components with new stock parts before you turn the car in.

I plan to lease another Accord soon as my current lease is up in April, and I'm going to at least install an intake and LEDs. If I don't buy it out at the end of the lease, I'll just return it to stock and sell the parts on ebay or in the classified section here.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kool, I didn't know about the intake and exhaust but I might not even do those as I don't expect much performance out of an EX-L trying to leave it all classy but give a slight touch of mods so its stands a bit out on the street while parked across other accords.

The whole thing about Honda accessories is that I was sure the dealer won't mind us spending an arm and a leg on genuine Honda accessories and expect us to leave em on the car when turning them in.

What about sub woofer ? you guys think they will find out i f the deck needs to be slight altered to fit in an aftermarket sub ?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
What about sub woofer ? you guys think they will find out i f the deck needs to be slight altered to fit in an aftermarket sub ?
I doubt they'll notice or care as long as everything works as it should when you turn it in. Based on my experience when turning in a lease, their inspection consists mainly of checking the paint and body panels for signs of damage or previous repair work. They also inspect the tires, perform a test drive, and give the car a thorough check on a lift to look for any frame damage or mechanical bits that require maintenance or repair. They also look at the interior for signs of excess wear and make sure all accessories are functioning properly. In my experience, they're pretty lenient as long as the car hasn't been in an accident (something that's never happened to any of my 3 leased Accords, but did happen to my uncle who ended up owing thousands on his '98 Accord due to the 2 major accidents that occurred during his lease). My 2007 Accord EX V6 had scratches, door dings, a curbed rim, transmission problems, and it needed new tires and they didn't say a word about it. They just handed me the keys to my new car and sent me on my way. I was sure they were going to nail me for all of those things, as combined they had to have amounted to more than the $1500 damage allowance, but nope.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldn't it be a waste of money if you did mods on a lease?

It would actually but some little stuff really doesn't cost much and some you can remove before giving the car back.
Like most lighting mods are not too expensive so one wouldn't mind returning the car with well depreciated $200-$300 mods. Tints is something that if your lucky, you would get it from the dealer but in my case, I got em done myself.

Sub-woofer and sound system upgrades are ad-ons so you can always remove them and re-install em on your next car.

Everyone has their own mindset of how much they are willing to give off on the car that will be returned in 3 years ... To me the limit is $750 to someone it might be $200 ... To some even $3000k so its all about personal choice I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts