Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a thread saying that when you use the rec button to cool the car too much it can lead to mold. well I think I have this problem. when I use my a/c ONLY I get this terrible smell like mold that comes out the vents. what can I do to stop this? I googled this stuff called "frigi clean" but you have to inject it into the coil drain or something like that. have no idea where this is on an 09. anyone else have this problem. its ONLY when the a/c is on and SLIGHTLY when I first turn the heat on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
huh that doesn't seem like it would do anything except mask the smell. according to him it smelled like lemons. but I will give it a try. lemons smell better then mildew. I honestly have no clue how the a/c systems works so hopefully this will solve my problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Join the club. I could not get rid of that moldy odor. Traded the car in.
well hopefully ill have better luck with this 1z stuff. it only smells like that for about 3 or 4 minutes then it goes away until the car sits for a while in the heat. i did read that using the recirculation mode all the time will cause this. i have it on all the time in the summer. 20 dollar fix would be nice. if not i guess im tearing apart the dash to clean it manually:headbash: i still have a couple years to pay on it lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's also not going to hurt to check/replace your cabin air filter.

This is why I'm really picky about keeping the outside air vent and engine bay area clean and free from pine needles, leaves, dirt, etc. so that this kinda thing doesn't happen years down the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's also not going to hurt to check/replace your cabin air filter.

This is why I'm really picky about keeping the outside air vent and engine bay area clean and free from pine needles, leaves, dirt, etc. so that this kinda thing doesn't happen years down the road.
oh yes sir I am very picky about my engine bay. I degrease it twice a year so if I ever have an oil leak, vacuum leak, etc. it will be easier to find. and I replaced it twice thinking that's what it was but no luck. I just ordered the 1z stuff so well see how that goes

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used this from Autozone ($10.99 plus tax) on my 2 cars.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...liminator/_/N-26bt?itemIdentifier=208870_0_0_

The can has a long tube that you snake it up the evaporator drain hose, as far as possible. You probably can push almost the entire length of the tube up the evap drain hose.
Then you spray the can's content until no more foams comes out of the can.
Then you wait for 15 minutes for the cleaning to complete and the AC will smell clean and neutral.

To find the evaporator drain hose, turn on the Air Conditioner and look under the car.
You will see water dropping from the car to the ground. The water is draining out from the evaporator drain hose.

For the Accord, you will have to jack up the car to make enough room to reach the evap drain hose.
Do this job when the car is cold because you will be touching to the exhaust pipe.

Auto shop probably charges $80 to $100.

·
11' CBP AV6 coupe
14 Posts
i tried a wurth spray bomb, didn't work.

what DID work:

ran hot ac on max + non circulating for 10 minutes. sprayed lysol generously into the outside vent. left it running for probably another 10 minutes. changed cabin filter to fram / febreeze.

car's been smelling very good. you'll want to air out the lysol smell afterwards. i got the most neutral smelling one.

cost is around $30

·
Registered
4 Posts
When my cars or parents cars start to have the moldy smell I pick up an AC refresher kit from a toyota dealership in the US. It is exactly what is shown in the video clip except it is toyota branded. Really easy to do. Just find a rubber hose end where water is dripping out from under your car after the ac has been running. Kit should be about $20.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUhBUxa904&desktop_uri=/watch?v=4KUhBUxa904#

·
Banned
438 Posts
Had the same problem on 2007 accord sedan. Changed cabin air filter, cleaned rugs with foam carpet cleaner. Still smelled. Found the solution a search of ideas on google placed an open bag of grilling charcoal in the back seat and left the car on recirculate for 1 hour. Finally the moldy smell was gone.
I believe the smell comes from never having the windows open when riding and always using the A/C with the recirculate button.
Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a similarly smelly A/C but mine seems to smell only after I turn the A/C off. Does anybody know why it would only smell after the A/C has been shut off?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Kilma Cleaner worked semi-OK. It didn't get rid of all the odor and lasted only a season. Since the problem didn't start until I owned the car for several years, Kilma didn't get rid of everything, because it should have lasted a few more years. I sprayed 1/2 a can in the vents and the other 1/2 up through the drain hole underneath the car. Some really nasty greenish/purplish stuff came flowing out, so there must of been mold growing on the evaporator. A new label stuck over the original label on the can now recommends that you inject it in through the fan blower blades so I might try that next, using the entire can. A word of warning; I see where on some vehicles, people have shorted dash electronics from various cleaners when it was applied through the vents because it was leaking out onto electronic components and the wiring harness.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
So you are saying to go through the fan blades-- which means you would get in from the filter area and spray toward the middle of the car, toward the driver. (taking the filter out- replace if necessary) This would be the most direct method. Then I would turn the fan on for 5 seconds to force the stuff though the AC evaporator. If you could flush it with water after the prescribed time might work better. This is not the instructions- I am just speculating. I owned a Neon at one time and this smell would happen to them. You had to drill a hole at a certain spot in the box and introduce their cleaner. (no filter)
Good luck-

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only known permanent cure- IMO. Replace evaporator core. Then always run the HVAC on fan mode for several minutes after using the A/C prior to parking vehicle. This will prevent mold from forming in the first place. So if you don't have the moldy odor now, follow advice outlined above. Additionally, during the A/C season- occasionally run the heat on high for several minutes. I'm mold free on my 2012 following these steps after the debacle with my 2010.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts