Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is the 9th generation Accord moonroof motor-control reset procedure for those who may need it or be interested. But first, a little background of my problem:

I was having trouble with my moonroof closing properly. The AUTO OPEN/CLOSE worked, but after the moonroof stopped closing the rear of the roof would either be tilted slight up (about 1/4") or too low (about 1/8"). It was getting worse over time where it would close, then tilt up about 1/2" whereby the rubber seal would expose a gap large enough for water to enter into the cabin.

The dealer told me that I probably needed to reset the moonroof motor-control unit. I never knew this was something you could do. However, the service rep gave me the instructions, so here they are:

Resetting the Moonroof Motor-Control Unit

1. Close the driver’s door, and leave it closed until the procedure is complete.
  2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
  3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II), or press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.
  4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times. Note: Each step must be performed within 5 seconds of each other.
  6. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
  7. Press and hold the moonroof close switch until the moonroof is titled fully opened.
  8. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So is the employee who thinks up these reset procedures and codes them into the various device's firmware some long lost relative of Rube Goldberg?

Somebody needs to code a central services daemon to control all these peripheral devices/motors via a single master computer so you'd just go into a menu, select the malfunctioning component and select "reset". Having to invoke incantations and bizarre ritual dances to reset a friggin' motor controller is just silly.

Just my rant for the day :wink

P.S. And glad it fixed it for you - a leaky moonroof is not good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So is the employee who thinks up these reset procedures and codes them into the various device's firmware some long lost relative of Rube Goldberg?

Somebody needs to code a central services daemon to control all these peripheral devices/motors via a single master computer so you'd just go into a menu, select the malfunctioning component and select "reset". Having to invoke incantations and bizarre ritual dances to reset a friggin' motor controller is just silly.

Same as the setup on the 8th-Gen settings for the auto-lock/unlock, though that involves patting your head and rubbing your stomach while planking over the passenger seat and center console (with feet out the open moonroof)! I'm sure the procedure for non-EX cars had something different involved! :devil

Reactions: Kcucci

·
Elvira
4,344 Posts

There really is a legitimate reason for being so cryptic and Rube Goldbergish.

It is purposely done so during a normal day/operation of the system you can't accidentally hit the ^^>><<^^ABBAA "god mode" sequence and reset something in the wrong position.

Aha!! Maybe the Nintendo guys are working for the automakers now.:wink

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There really is a legitimate reason for being so cryptic and Rube Goldbergish.

It is purposely done so during a normal day/operation of the system you can't accidentally hit the ^^>><<^^ABBAA "god mode" sequence and reset something in the wrong position.

Aha!! Maybe the Nintendo guys are working for the automakers now.:wink
hehe, maybe true :smile But as someone who has to admin my own Linux boxes at work, I want root on my car, dagnabit. I WANT God mode!

Seriously though, they could actually do that - bury the reset in a separate "admin" or "factory-reset" menu item, with a password or even a touch screen fingerprint sensor and avoid complex procedures that you know if given out, will get fubar'd by a lot of people leading to even more complaints when the "factory reset" instructions" didn't work. Still better to make it a (secure) menu driven system then a multi-step procedure.

Reactions: Miker

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So, did you appreciate the info I passed on or not? It's hard to tell from your post.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
This isn't too bad. The idle volume air relearn procedure on the G involves a similar process but uses the throttle pedal instead. Requiring various # of depresses, pauses and stop/start switch manipulation all within a specific amount of time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So, did you appreciate the info I passed on or not? It's hard to tell from your post.
Oh, sorry. Of course I appreciated it - any such knowledge is valuable for anyone else who may experience the same or similar issue.

I just think it's silly that the fix they had to offer you was so arcane. They should make such things more straightforward for owners - I mean clearly they had foreseen such a situation so they could have implemented a more straightforward fix.

Reactions: Miker

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Or, they could just build a system that is purely electromechanical. If it needs adjustment, the adjustment can be made mechanically (for example by turning a screw).

I just had to program a new key fob to my GTO this past weekend. It was equally as complex of a process and takes over 30 minutes to perform completely. I get it for a key fob since it is part of the security system and to more or less prevent someone from mapping a key to the car quickly for later nefarious actions, but geez. Another issue is that you only get one shot to program the fob. If the process fails for any reason you have to throw away your $80 fob and start with a new one. Any given fob can only be programmed to one car one time and it is programmed to that car for life. It cannot be reprogrammed to that car if something happens and cannot be reprogrammed to another car. Why do we need new fobs anyway? Because in GM's infinite wisdom they permanently seal the fobs so that when the battery runs out you can't just open it and change the battery (but there are way to do this but it is a bit of an ordeal). GTO parts are really getting hard to find, what happens when key fobs are no longer available from GM? Idiots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem (auto close makes it 3/4 of the way shut and reverses direction) with a 2014 Odyssey but am having issues resetting the moonroof. This vehicle has the push button start so each time I do the cycle (hold tilt, turn to on (II), release tilt, turn to off (0)), upon holding "tilt", the moonroof tilts due to the fact that the driver/passenger door haven't been opened.

I believe the tilting nullifies the reset procedure, but does anyone have experience resetting the moonroof on a vehicle with push start?

Thanks in advance for any info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.