Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to get a taller sidewall, I was thinking about switching from 215/55 x 17 to 205/65 x 17. I know this may affect handling negatively a little, but it should also give a smoother ride with a taller sidewall, right?

·
Carpe Diem
3,160 Posts
If you want a smoother ride, there are a lot of things I'd do first before changing tire sidewall size. Get your tires balanced, make sure your alignment is good, check the condition of your suspension bushings, or replace old/worn out struts.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
In order to get a taller sidewall, I was thinking about switching from 215/55 x 17 to 205/65 x 17. I know this may affect handling negatively a little, but it should also give a smoother ride with a taller sidewall, right?
You can increase the sidewall slightly by using 225/55/17 or 215/60/17.... 205/65/17 is more than 3% larger and is not safe (there are also no tires that size really)

Changing the tire type will have more impact on your ride quality if that is your goal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you move down to a 16 " rim you will gain more tire = smoother ride ask your tire shop for the equal size tire in 16 " rim size , [ of course you will have to buy new or used rims ] your owners manual may suggest a different tire / rim size

·
Registered
2019 Accord 1.5
8 Posts
If you want a smoother ride, there are a lot of things I'd do first before changing tire sidewall size. Get your tires balanced, make sure your alignment is good, check the condition of your suspension bushings, or replace old/worn out struts.
I agree!

Also the Quality of the tire has a lot to do with ride quality. I've heard owners claim the 19" Continentals are far superior to the 17" Michelin tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would look at what the car came with originally, altho the brand of tires originally on the car can probably be improved upon the size was engineered for various factors, such as handling, safety, comfort , don't re-engineer the car . to look cool, or the in crowd , just my 2 cents , yes im an old fart , but ride on a in nice smooth 03 Accord : - }

·
2010 2.4EX
25 Posts
Minus-size to preserve overall height within 3%. Will maintain speedometer.

Narrower, higher profile tires tend to want to go straight and resist turning more than wider, lower-profiles. I'm still pondering doing this - going from 50- to 60-series tires on my 2010 Accord EX, if 16" alloys are available.

And maintain those pressures!

I would look at what the car came with originally, altho the brand of tires originally on the car can probably be improved upon the size was engineered for various factors, such as handling, safety, comfort , don't re-engineer the car . to look cool, or the in crowd , just my 2 cents , yes im an old fart , but ride on a in nice smooth 03 Accord : - }
I'm exploring the idea of doing, to my 2010 EX, what the O.P. wants to his Accord, simply because I prefer a ride that is 'tighter ahead'(more resistent to turning effort), so to speak. I find the trending combination of wider, larger diameter wheels wrapped in lower-profile tires requires more minor corrections at speed(over 50mph/80km) than the traditional package of smaller rims and higher-profile tires.

My driving style does not require the hair-trigger steering response afforded by the former, and the most I ever exceed any speed limit by is 5-10mph. I'm simply not in a race, nor do I drive as aggressively in turns as does the modern typical Joe or Jane public. So my intentions, at least, for minus-sizing, are hardly of an aesthetic nature, as the modern plus-sizing trend, to the contrary, largely is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
here is a link that allows you to compare tire sizes & gives the comparison size of side wall height, height of tire, width of tire , and circumference of tire & the rpm of old v/s new

1 - 9 of 9 Posts