Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant tell you how many exhaust sytems ive replaced over my lifetime but this 03 still has the original exhaust. and i live where they dump salt all over the roads in the winter. the only parts that rusted out are the power steering return lines. i hear 07s have a different alloy used now that eliminates having to replace these lines. Japanese designed cars are the best cars out there. their engineering is far superior compared to a company like General Motors.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
i cant tell you how many exhaust sytems ive replaced over my lifetime but this 03 still has the original exhaust. and i live where they dump salt all over the roads in the winter. the only parts that rusted out are the power steering return lines. i hear 07s have a different alloy used now that eliminates having to replace these lines. Japanese designed cars are the best cars out there. their engineering is far superior compared to a company like General Motors.
It is also the quality of the parts used when the car is built. Years ago when Toyota & GM collaborated on building a car (Nova ?), years later when people looked at the repair data of that model they found the parts that were supplied by GM had a early failure rate. Wasn't the CEO of Honda replaced several years ago because he was switching suppliers to try and save money ? I worked with a guy in the late 1980's that bought a new GMC compact pickup truck. The cloth on ea. door was a different shade of blue. When he had new spark plugs put in, they had to lift the engine out to access the very rear ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i only know what is good quality based on my experience with actually working on and repairing various car makes over the years. Hondas cost a little more but there is no question that they are better cars. they did not do enough testing on the auto trans. for the V6 but they always improve on their quality. the auto. trans is basically a manual transmission that shifts automatically

·
8th Gen Believer
4,792 Posts
They followed up on the awful 7th gen ATs with a 5-speed AT for the 8th gen V6. If you change the fluid at 30k mile intervals, they're tough and smooth. 160k on one, it's flawless.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
48 Posts
They followed up on the awful 7th gen ATs with a 5-speed AT for the 8th gen V6. If you change the fluid at 30k mile intervals, they're tough and smooth. 160k on one, it's flawless.
I keep hearing this about the 7th gen trannies being awful. I can find zero evidence of that. I just bought a 2005 Accord V6 automatic a month ago with 196k on the odometer that shifts like butter.
People are obviously getting 6th and 7th gens mixed up, almost all the 6th gens I see for a cheap price on FB Marketplace or wherever are due to tranny failure. Haven't seen much of that on the 7th gen

It is also the quality of the parts used when the car is built. Years ago when Toyota & GM collaborated on building a car (Nova ?), years later when people looked at the repair data of that model they found the parts that were supplied by GM had a early failure rate. Wasn't the CEO of Honda replaced several years ago because he was switching suppliers to try and save money ? I worked with a guy in the late 1980's that bought a new GMC compact pickup truck. The cloth on ea. door was a different shade of blue. When he had new spark plugs put in, they had to lift the engine out to access the very rear ones.

Union vs non-union workers

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,656 Posts
.... Japanese designed cars are the best cars out there. their engineering is far superior compared to a company like General Motors.
You have owner's bias.

25 years ago, Honda (together with Toyota) used to be top ranked in terms of reliability, year by year. Other manufacturers have closed the gap. Now, not so much, far from "superior", rather below average, or even bottom of the barrel. It's "amazing" how much Honda has dropped in the ranks.

Reactions: Dr. Acula

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
I'd hardly call modern Honda Japanese engineering. I don't think there's much Japanese influence left at all. American designed, American built.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Guys… come on now… what’s wrong with built in America?

Most major car manufacturers have plants in the US anyways. Yes Honda builds all the Accords in US, so what? Toyota has plants in several states, so does Hyundai and obviously the domestics etc. etc.
If only made in Japan is the best, then what are we all gonna buy? Mazdas? Lexus? C’mon, don’t be ridiculous. The QC of a brand depends on the values of a company, what the company stands for, not necessarily where the product is made. I have zero doubt that my made in Mexico 06 Accord would easily cross the 200k mark a while ago if I didn’t total it years ago.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Can you provide more info on the Mexican made Accord.

QC doesn't just depends on company set forth values, but rather on its employees exhibiting those values through their product quality.

·
Registered
04, v6 accord, ¿lx?, BAYA, J30A4
300 Posts
I honestly don’t care where something is made as long as it is made well.

I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for Honda and always will. Anything I put a wrench to I get emotionally attached and I’ve found anything with a big H on it is surprisingly a joy to work on. When I was in Japan oddly enough the vessel had the Honda motorcycle wing painted on it… still don’t know what that was about as the ship had changed countries dozens of times in the last 2 years and was a mess from neglect but she was still a brute (I know nothing of seafaring vessel manufacturing or specs etc etc). Most of the vehicles we transported oddly enough were Ford from Japan which kinda made my mind melt (guilty previous Mazda 3 owner, it was reliable… that’s all I have to say. Oh! And it had this sweet feature on the cluster that was a quick switch to preset dash light dimming. And it was all red for the lights… easy on the eyes and you could turn it down so low it was practically off.. or just hit your preset button). I had an sl2 that was phenomenal, an Olds cutlass supreme 2 door that was spectacular,A Jetta that I should have killed years ago when I was younger that is still out driving around under someone else and an impala that was just so sweet.

No way will I ever walk into a Honda dealership looking for a new ride…. But I’ll definitely be looking to swipe yours when you do.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Can you provide more info on the Mexican made Accord.

QC doesn't just depends on company set forth values, but rather on its employees exhibiting those values through their product quality.
My first (06 Accord) was made in Mexico. It had a VIN that started with 3. It ran so well and was so reliable (0 major issue) in over 99k miles. Granted, I did something unnecessary, changed wheels a few times and had to deal with abnormal tire wear, balancing, alignment etc. But none of this I faulted on Honda. The only thing that sucked about that car was the crappy stock battery. It didn’t last very long, and I couldn’t start several times on the old battery out in the cold. The car was fine again when I changed the battery though, and as I said, it was near perfect. I cannot imagine anything made in Japan being much better.

Also, I don’t disagree. I have no doubt that Japanese workers have strong work ethics. Zero doubt on that. Having said that, I have the same faith in the Mexican workers that were working on making my Accord. Honda wouldn’t just hire anybody off the street without any skills or willingness to learn either. I believe there’s a stringent selection process, then they would have to be trained even after selection. What I’m saying is, a company with emphasis / high expectation on quality will make sure each stage of the production process, from labor force hiring, part/material selection, choice of suppliers, quality of facilities etc. is set up such that the end goal - having a quality finished product- is met. Of course, I didn’t necessarily always sing the same tune before my car was totaled, or having six other Hondas made in USA (4 being Accords), total major issues - 0. Now, I’ve learned to appreciate the quality of the car (Honda Accord) no matter where it is made or who made it.

I honestly don’t care where something is made as long as it is made well.

I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for Honda and always will. Anything I put a wrench to I get emotionally attached and I’ve found anything with a big H on it is surprisingly a joy to work on. When I was in Japan oddly enough the vessel had the Honda motorcycle wing painted on it… still don’t know what that was about as the ship had changed countries dozens of times in the last 2 years and was a mess from neglect but she was still a brute (I know nothing of seafaring vessel manufacturing or specs etc etc). Most of the vehicles we transported oddly enough were Ford from Japan which kinda made my mind melt (guilty previous Mazda 3 owner, it was reliable… that’s all I have to say. Oh! And it had this sweet feature on the cluster that was a quick switch to preset dash light dimming. And it was all red for the lights… easy on the eyes and you could turn it down so low it was practically off.. or just hit your preset button). I had an sl2 that was phenomenal, an Olds cutlass supreme 2 door that was spectacular,A Jetta that I should have killed years ago when I was younger that is still out driving around under someone else and an impala that was just so sweet.
Sure. Fair enough. I have appreciation for Japanese made quality too. But for the right company (Honda is included, of course), it isn’t THAT much better. At least, it shouldn’t be.

Ah, I see why you brought in Ford there. Sneaky eh? Well, let’s leave Ford out of discussion, ok? My parents had a few domestic brands in our family (Mercury, Chevy etc) early on too. Let’s just say, we were learning to be patriotic. I believe some still buy them for the very reason. Nothing wrong with that. They do make some good cars too, but let’s just say, as a whole, the levels of focus on build quality between the US companies and Japanese companies aren’t quite the same, although this gap is probably closing.

My younger sister also has a Mazda3. A nice little car. 2010 S Sport. Made in Japan. It’s 12 years old and approaching 150k, mostly trouble free miles. Yet, it still needed some maintenance / repairs in the last few years. Nothing out of ordinary. But nothing the Accords made in US or elsewhere can’t match.

No way will I ever walk into a Honda dealership looking for a new ride…. But I’ll definitely be looking to swipe yours when you do.
Ok…

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Problem is it's not 2003 anymore and IMO there has been a decline with all the brands I would consider. I remember my sister's 86 Prelude Si, my Dads 91 Acura Legend and my Mom's 90 Integra and a 2002 CRV Those cars were built in Japan and did end up lasting forever with zero issues. Can't say that about the dozen or so Hondas that I purchased since. I have since switched to Toyota and like I said it's not 2003 anymore.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Problem is it's not 2003 anymore and IMO there has been a decline with all the brands I would consider. I remember my sister's 86 Prelude Si, my Dads 91 Acura Legend and my Mom's 90 Integra and a 2002 CRV Those cars were built in Japan and did end up lasting forever with zero issues. Can't say that about the dozen or so Hondas that I purchased since. I have since switched to Toyota and like I said it's not 2003 anymore.

·
Registered
475 Posts
^^ This man knows. We also have an Odyssey and other makes/models and you can tell the obvious difference in quality of parts. A bunch of plastic used everywhere to lower cost and such. Thing is, it's not just a Honda thing, but how the industry and manufacturing world has become. I'm sure you folks see this with other things as well. I'm personally trying to see if Honda can actually come out with EVs as I though they were going to end ICEs by 2040 or whatever. We hope the current Hondas will last us another 5-10 years. It's just a matter of time before they sunset replacement products. Who knows...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts