Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang, I have the curious distinction of probably having the only 7th gen with an alarm but no PDL! I went to the place that did my tint, which came highly recommended and has been in business since the 80s, and dropped the car off this morning to have a Viper 350 alarm and PDLs installed on the front doors. I came back and got a car with just an alarm -- because the Accord has a cable lock, the aftermarket actuators could not be installed.

The guy told me to go to the dealer and get the actuators, which I did for about $28 ea. But now he's saying he also needs the harness to power them, which is where it's starting to get expensive, ~$90/ea. It also concerns me because they only seem to sell the whole harness from LX/EX, and there's nothing to plug it into on my DX. Any options here? Princess?

The Actuator I got for the driver's side is part # 72155-SDA-A01.

Please help! I feel silly disarming my alarm then using the key to unlock the door, just like I was doing before :(

P.S. At least I got a discount on the alarm (which I did not need/want w/o the PDL).
P.P.S. As far as getting the PD switch, the guys said it would be a lot of custom electrical work and he won't do it. Kinda makes sense since I don't have the Honda "brains" for PDL. What a bunch of 'tards, to screw up the DX like this.

·
Can you say 270HP?
719 Posts
Woah! 28 for an actuator! What dealer is this and do they ship!?!? My Actuator is $85 a pop even on the internet. And looks that I'll be needing a new one for the passenger side too. And then the window motors (electrical nightmare...). Those sound like superb prices believe it or not. Thats a really good deal. The Price might be kinda high, but it's still cheaper than an LX, and you can also get the key/remote combo if you go with that.

Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accord4Life said:
Thats a really good deal. The Price might be kinda high, but it's still cheaper than an LX, and you can also get the key/remote combo if you go with that.
But, what do I need to get other then the actuator? I kinda like the Viper alarm (nothing against the Honda, but I already paid for it and it's fine), I'd ideally want to have it hooked up to it. Maybe even a trunk release.

Oh, and the big question w/o taking off my door panel (which I now know how to do -- easy as pie!): are there mounting points on my DX for the damn things, or is Honda really that evil?

·
ready to go....
15,798 Posts
Can you get them used??? :dunno: It's new enough to not be worn out....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wish you were on this coast MasTRE, that way I could show this shop how to install. You can hook standard actuators to a cable lock system, it just takes a little time and patience. I did 15-20 installs on cable lock systems before I got out of the car stereo business, they had just started to be used when I left. You might want to go to and actual car stereo shop and not a tinter who also does alarms, you'll probably find an installer that can do it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
princess said:
Can you get them used??? :dunno: It's new enough to not be worn out....
Princess, I'm not following you. Do you mean the harneses? I wouldn't know where to look.
Greg S said:
Wish you were on this coast MasTRE, that way I could show this shop how to install. You can hook standard actuators to a cable lock system, it just takes a little time and patience. I did 15-20 installs on cable lock systems before I got out of the car stereo business, they had just started to be used when I left. You might want to go to and actual car stereo shop and not a tinter who also does alarms, you'll probably find an installer that can do it.
Makes sense. You probably wouldn't know a place in FLA, how could I go about finding a top shop down here? Can the OEM actuators be used? I already have the driver's side one, but I could return it since the harness is very expensive and unless they can fabricate one it wouldn't be worth buying it.

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
I agree with Greg. An electronics shop that does installs should be able to handle putting in a power lock actuator with no problem. It's no different than doing custom work to mount & wire stereos into the dash or custom subs in the trunk. IMO it's really a craft. It's amazing what the right people can do. :yes: And to save you money, since an actuator is such a fairly common part now, I would think the right place could find aftermarket market parts for less moeny that will do the job just as good.

You can always try an internet search for places close to you. Or how about visiting preludepower.com or other enthusiast sites where the guys (and girls :D ) are probably more into custom installs for stereos and electronics. You might be able to get some advice from a larger cross section local posters if your asking more than just Accord owners. :thmsup:

Now find someone to pimp your door locks!! :D

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Accord4Life said:
Woah! 28 for an actuator! What dealer is this and do they ship!?!? My Actuator is $85 a pop even on the internet
I don't know which one you're talking about (your 96 prolly) but my actuator is $27 and I'm too friggin cheap to buy it. I disconnected mine so I have a couple neat features

1) Key in the ignition, I open and close the drivers door, all other doors lock automatically.

2) Alarm engages when I ask it to, even if the driver's door is unlocked.

3) All doors lock/unlock with with the fob except the driver's door...so everybody gets into my car then wonders why I had to unlock MY door :lmao:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BenjiBoy650 said:
I don't know which one you're talking about (your 96 prolly) but my actuator is $27 and I'm too friggin cheap to buy it. I disconnected mine so I have a couple neat features

1) Key in the ignition, I open and close the drivers door, all other doors lock automatically.

2) Alarm engages when I ask it to, even if the driver's door is unlocked.

3) All doors lock/unlock with with the fob except the driver's door...so everybody gets into my car then wonders why I had to unlock MY door :lmao:
You are a braver man than I. I want PDL specifically to get rid of your "features" :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
MasTRE said:
You probably wouldn't know a place in FLA, how could I go about finding a top shop down here? Can the OEM actuators be used? I already have the driver's side one, but I could return it since the harness is very expensive and unless they can fabricate one it wouldn't be worth buying it.
Unfortunately I don't know any shop down there that can do it, but what I would recommend doing is going around to a couple of stereo shops and asking if they have done your type of lock system and how they feel about it. When you find one that says they've done it and are comfortable with it
have them install it. They can let you know if it's easier to do with aftermarket of factory actuators. I've always done it with aftermarket but charged about twice what I would for a normal door lock system as there is a lot more time involved in making sure everything stays lined up over time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've got 1 PDL for now -- driver's. It uses the OEM actuator. Some creative mods needed to be made to the door lock mechanism, which had to be completely taken out of the door. Next wknd I'm going in to get the front passenger's door done with OEM actuator, and possibly add trunk release as well.

I just reprogrammed my Viper alarm to do passive arming w/ passive door locking. It works awesome(ly? ;)), I don't need to do anything once I get out of the car -- 20 seconds from the closing of the last door I get a chirp, and 10 seconds after that it arms the alarm and locks all PDL doors (currently, only mine).

Another nice feature of the alarm is that it instantly locks PDL doors when you start the car, and unlocks once you turn ignition off. The only time I need to touch anything is when I get in the car (I hit the disarm/unlock button on the remote). Everything else is taken care of automatically as far as doorlocks/alarm goes. Cool stuff!

So, in the end, it turned out to be a pretty cool mod. I no longer feel bad about it, I think it's [much] better than OEM, I've now got ignition kill too (tested it). And I finally have PDL!

Because of how nice the alarm is controlling everything, I'm toying with the idea of doing all 4 doors. It would cost me about $125-150/door.... Thougts?

P.S. This DX is not really a DX anymore. The only thing DX about it is the DX on the trunk, which may "fall" off LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good, you found someone who had the competence to do it and the price is about the same as what I used to charge as well. I'd say go for all four door, it's worth iot in the long run. Be very careful with passive locking as I've seen too many people leave their keys in the car 'for just a second', close the door to go grab something and then be locked out of their car. It's fun to watch but not fun when it happens to you :thumbsdow .

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greg S said:
Be very careful with passive locking as I've seen too many people leave their keys in the car 'for just a second', close the door to go grab something and then be locked out of their car. It's fun to watch but not fun when it happens to you :thumbsdow .
True, but I have a second remote at home. I'm usually good about that, when I locked the keys in the car I realized it the moment I slammed the door shut. This would give me 20 seconds, a chirp to remind me, and then another 10 seconds on top of that. If it turns out to be a problem, I can turn the feature off.

·
Honda Friendly
100 Posts
actually I got question for the anti theft on the original ex model.
why sometime it lock automatically but sometime wont.?

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
CM5sedan said:
actually I got question for the anti theft on the original ex model.
why sometime it lock automatically but sometime wont.?
The stock alarm on the EX doesn't usually lock automatically. The only time it does that is if you unlock the door(s) and didn't open them for 20 seconds. Then it will re-arm and lock the doors again automatically since it thinks you hit the unlock button on the keyfob by accident.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts