Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I fueled up as normal on Monday (at BP) and I also used the vehicle settings to adjust the "Trip A Reset Timing" to "With Refuel". Now it seems like my mpg has taken a sharp decline. I was usually hitting 27-29 on my usual to work and city run arounds but yesterday I was at a measly 25.6 and 25.4 to and from work respectively. I've also noticed when I'm at a stop like, the iMid mpg display will drop like 0.5 ticks every 15 seconds! Never noticed that happening before.

In short, is that just because I changed the setting to "With Refuel"? Would "IGN off" give a better/higher read out or would the current "With Refuel" be more accurate?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are quite a few threads on here about the drop in fuel mileage and the many factors that can contribute to this. Chances are the weather is a main factor. Do a quick search and you should find more than enough information here.

I don't think its related to the refuel/IGN off change, but I could be wrong. I don't really know much about this feature, but I am sure someone else will chime in on that part.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I notice weather drives my trip MPG quite a bit. If it drops 10 degrees in the freezing range I'll lose an MPG or two on a given route.

I've also noticed the trip MPG drop dramatically while sitting at a red light. You should see the greatest drops at the start of your trip (when there aren't many miles to average your red-light sitting over), but that's just the math at work. If you drive for a mile and burn 1/20th of a gallon of gas, you'll get 20mpg. If you then sit at a red light and burn 1/20th of a gallon of gas you've still just traveled 1 mile, and yet you've plunged to 10mpg!

If your drive starts with 10 miles of driving at 20mpg (burning 1/2 gallon of gas) before you sit at that same red light, then your average mpg will go from 20mpg to 18.18mpg (10/20ths + 1/20th burned over 10 miles).

Short answer, don't be alarmed at the drop in MPG if it happens at a red light at the start of your trip.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It's mostly the cold weather. I was averaging 30-31 MPG in 75% city/25% highway driving but now I'm down to about 27.2 MPG over the past three fill ups. They also add different things to the gas in the wintertime that lowers your mileage (that's not the reason they add these things but it's one of the unavoidable consequences).

·
Registered
608 Posts
With the reset, you're just experiencing less data available for averaging so is subject to massive fluctuations, i.e. the readings are essentially meaningless until you rack up more miles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the reset, you're just experiencing less data available for averaging so is subject to massive fluctuations, i.e. the readings are essentially meaningless until you rack up more miles.
Understood...so I would assume that if I leave the settings as they are ("With Refuel") then I guess the iMid will generally display a lower reading than I'm used to seeing? Or would it gradually rise again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed a drop as well. Every fill up since November seemed a little less efficient. High 20's to around 25 now. I never knew the cold would play a factor into it. I mean Virginia can be pretty mild, and I'm driving the same route every day so my driving habits are consistent. I'm curious to see what happens when it warms up again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts