Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I recently look a gamble and purchased a cheap 25 roof spoiler off of Ebay. After seeing the quality of the spoiler (some weird rubbery material), I knew that i didn't want spend 100$ getting it painted. So i decided to give spray paint a try....

I bought primer (4$), MSM spray paint (25$ shipped), and clear (7$). The color came out very well. I am impressed. It matches my car almost perfect.

Im not 100% sold on the roof spoiler yet....but ill keep it for now. I wish i had bought the nicer roof spoiler off of Ebay and painted it myself.

I also got bored and decided to spray my rear license plate bracket. It was chrome, but now its MSM. I likey.

If i hadn't already had my mud guards painted from a body shop, i would try this paint on those. The paint comes out runny, so numerous small coats is key.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Nice job! The spoiler definitely enhances the rear of the Accord. Perhaps you've found the secret to Honda's paint. lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
nice project, maybe i'll try it with the splash guards and that roof spoiler now

·
Registered
175 Posts
what type of adhesive did you use for attach that roof spoiler?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what type of adhesive did you use for attach that roof spoiler?
Thanks guys for the feedback! I was very impressed with the paint as well.

The spoiler came with two strips of 3M tape already stuck to the back. It was pretty easy to install. Took me around 1 min, and i even pulled once side up twice to reposition.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interesting way to finish off that area, as the gap in that area looks a tad unfinished, unlike previous Accords. :thmsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been wanting to get a roof spoiler off eBay also but didn't want to spend $80 for the nice one then another $100 to get it painted because they don't offer MSM. Might have to pull the trigger on a nice one and do this paint mod. Where did you get the MSM spray paint?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
CVT
514 Posts
how many coats?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how many coats?
Probably 4 coats of primer, 5 coats of base color, and 5 coats of clear. Im a fan of using numerous light coats. The rear spoiler probably used 60% of the 20oz can.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice job man. That's a pretty good match.

Which part of NC are you in? Curious about who painted your splash guards and how good of a job they did. Of course, given how close of a match this is, I might feel bold enough to do it myself.

·
Registered
2006 Accord EX-L
1,163 Posts
Looking good!

Oh yeah... GO PACK!! :banana:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man, I didn't even know they offered this stuff. Did you get the 12oz aerosol can? So primer first, then MSM paint, then clear coat?
Yes 12 oz (sorry, I said it was 2 oz in a previous post). I first sanded down the spoiler, sprayed primer, sanded the primer, sprayed MSM, then sprayed clear coat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice job man. That's a pretty good match.

Which part of NC are you in? Curious about who painted your splash guards and how good of a job they did. Of course, given how close of a match this is, I might feel bold enough to do it myself.
I am in Charlotte, but i got my mud guards painted in Wallace. The spray paint actually matches better than the mud guards done by a body shop (they turned out a tad darker than the car)

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Yes 12 oz (sorry, I said it was 2 oz in a previous post). I first sanded down the spoiler, sprayed primer, sanded the primer, sprayed MSM, then sprayed clear coat.
Damn nice job on that spoiler! What did you use to sand the spoiler/primer?

Does the paint crack from the spoiler flexing when you are installing?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts