Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ever since i bought the car 3rd gear often grinds and its loud and annoying. When i changed the mt fluid it looked like glitter had been mixed in which im assuming is metal flakes..... Is there a problem with the 3rd gear on MT as well as AT? :dunno:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes just on mt as far as I know. You need to chnage the mtf to either pennzoil or gm synchromesh fluid. I used pennzoil ( yellow bottle ) and not once had it grinded or had issues going into gear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did change it using the penzoil syncromesh, im just not sure why it grinds sometimes. i can take a video with my phone. it sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. after my mtf change switching gears is smoother

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i did change it using the penzoil syncromesh, im just not sure why it grinds sometimes. i can take a video with my phone. it sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. after my mtf change switching gears is smoother
I switched to Royal Purple MT Synchromax fluid and my grinding went away.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Auto Guide.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
You might want to step up to AC Delco (GM) Synchromesh with Friction Modifier. Outside of that you might have a bigger issue beginning to show itself...

·
Registered
305 Posts
all my gears can grind because my shifter has a long throw and isnt too friendly sometimes...but that only usually happens when im lazy and not throwing the shifter all the way.. the long throw is really annoying...i miss my preludes buttery feel of the shifter..i think its jusst me..

it is an annoying issue...i did find that my slave cylinder was a little low so after i filled it up, the problem kinda disappeared..

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It would be beneficial to know whether the OP is discussing a 5 speed or 6 speed. Especially since there are known issues regarding 3rd gear that resulted in a Honda Service Bulletin - for the 6 speed. Various fluids have helped many owners and there has been a lot of discussion about it. However, if you were really seeing "metal flakes" in your fluid your problem might not be one that's going to be solved by a simple fluid change. Good luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a 5 speed, but the fluid that came out was just sparkleing.. what could be the problems?? i mean i have a 3 year warranty on it. and the mods ive done doesn't void it thankfully. Do i need a transmission? I mean, it will be covered.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Have you tried double clutching, or do you do that anyway because you drive a racecar? :jumping:

My bet is on the synchro either going out, or the new fluid is too slick and not allowing it to match speed of the countershaft.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
all my gears can grind because my shifter has a long throw and isnt too friendly sometimes...but that only usually happens when im lazy and not throwing the shifter all the way.. the long throw is really annoying...i miss my preludes buttery feel of the shifter..i think its jusst me..

it is an annoying issue...i did find that my slave cylinder was a little low so after i filled it up, the problem kinda disappeared..
These Accords have magnificent shifters, yours has something wrong. As far as the length of the throw, that's all personal preference, I like longer throws, it took me longer to drive my Civic Si smooth than any other vehicle I have driven. My favorite transmission is the Muncie M20 in my '69 Camaro...something about external linkages and the gates is pretty awesome.

its a 5 speed, but the fluid that came out was just sparkleing.. what could be the problems?? i mean i have a 3 year warranty on it. and the mods ive done doesn't void it thankfully. Do i need a transmission? I mean, it will be covered.
Take it to them immediately, stop asking us questions. Don't waste any of your time if it's covered by a warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts