Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new MCU in the mail. Plan on installing it first thing tomorrow morning but can't seem to find any instructions online. If anyone here has experience with the procedures I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I replaced my driver's side and it was a major pia. At first I tried disconnecting all the wire harnesses to no avail. I ended up prying the unit out with a screw driver. It is housed in a plastic case. If you don't mind me asking , why are you replacing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced my driver's side and it was a major pia. At first I tried disconnecting all the wire harnesses to no avail. I ended up prying the unit out with a screw driver. It is housed in a plastic case. If you don't mind me asking , why are you replacing?
My instrument panel and taillights won't turn on. Replacing the fuse and bulbs didn't work so the next step is the MCU. Here's hoping the new one doesn't get fried shortly after installation.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree with FPJThree. Just food for thought....you don't have to replace the entire unit, just replace the multiplex unit itself--contained in the blue colored box which sits in the fuse box. Usually the fuse box/contacts are fine. It's the circuit board or it's components of the PSM that can go bad. I had a problem with my key fob not working right and was able to remove the passenger side multiplex unit and re-solder some cold solder joints. I had to remove the "blue box". It's easy access by removing the fuse panel, knee bolster and the glovebox. Disconnect the 20 (??) pin connector wire harness that is clearly visible in front, then carefully pry the four plastic clips that hold the blue box to the rest of the fuse panel board. You'll have to push in with a couple of screwdrivers somewhat simultaneously and the PSM should pop right off. If you break the blue box, no worries, as you have your new one to install anyway. Then re-insert the new PSM (blue box) and re-connect the 20 pin harness. 15 min job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with FPJThree. Just food for thought....you don't have to replace the entire unit, just replace the multiplex unit itself--contained in the blue colored box which sits in the fuse box. Usually the fuse box/contacts are fine. It's the circuit board or it's components of the PSM that can go bad. I had a problem with my key fob not working right and was able to remove the passenger side multiplex unit and re-solder some cold solder joints. I had to remove the "blue box". It's easy access by removing the fuse panel, knee bolster and the glovebox. Disconnect the 20 (??) pin connector wire harness that is clearly visible in front, then carefully pry the four plastic clips that hold the blue box to the rest of the fuse panel board. You'll have to push in with a couple of screwdrivers somewhat simultaneously and the PSM should pop right off. If you break the blue box, no worries, as you have your new one to install anyway. Then re-insert the new PSM (blue box) and re-connect the 20 pin harness. 15 min job.
Thanks man. Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out that a tiny little 7.5 volt fuse was causing the issue... and not a $150 dollar MCU...

:facepalm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
help me

Hey I pull in a aftermarket radio on a 2000 honda accord v6. Now I have no dish light and back light which MCU should I buy and what should I do with the radio please help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts