Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a DIY and always have been. Due to the price of recent used cars I decided this time, at the age of 48, to buy a New 2013 Honda Accord LX . I have been wanting to do some things to my car and I have been checking weekly Helm Inc site for a service manual to the point that I emailed them and they did not have a date for that manual. I then reached the point that I took my time and wrote Honda a letter addressing the point that I needed a service manual.

I received a call today from American Honda's Regional customer service manager Stephen. He directed me to Techinfo.honda.com and this is a subscription service for 1 day $10 30 day $50 and 365 days $350. I told him I own cars for 10 plus years and that was not going to work and if, prior to my purchase, I would have known this is what Honda did by stopping Helm Inc printing manuals I would not have purchased the car. I will never buy another Honda product because of this. He expressed his apologies and said he would document this and send it on. For those of you waiting for a factory service manual for your car. YOU WILL NEVER GET A HONDA PRINTED SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR CAR!!!!! Make your voices heard and let Honda know what you think of that policy and how that will impact your future car purchases. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
288 Posts
I buy a car to drive it, not to buy a car hoping to have a manual to fix it.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must not be DIYers

I always use manuals for everything from knowing how to safely remove door panels to replace speakers to a various other task that having a manual is invaluable. Torque specs is another invaluable resource for them. I assume you guys just either take it somewhere and have it done or start breaking clips that you did not know were there because you could not look up the removal process. Interesting response from a car forum that are usually all about working on and modifying the cars that the forums represent.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
I always use manuals for everything from knowing how to safely remove door panels to replace speakers to a various other task that having a manual is invaluable. Torque specs is another invaluable resource for them. I assume you guys just either take it somewhere and have it done or start breaking clips that you did not know were there because you could not look up the removal process. Interesting response from a car forum that are usually all about working on and modifying the cars that the forums represent.
I agree with you Steve H, and hope you don't mind that I have re-opened this thread, as I happen to support the notion that car owners should have the option to purchase factory service manuals if they happen to want it to work on the car themselves.

I have purchased FSM for EVERY car I have ever owned, it can be a wealth of information for folks, such as OP, who want to work on their own cars either because they enjoy it or want to save a bit of the car ownership expense, rather than paying the $100+ an hour rate the dealership charges these days.

And I am quite disappointed with the snide insulting comments others have posted so far for what I consider quite a reasonable opinion from an Accord owner, please stop now.

Just because you don't want to, or you don't have the skills to work on your cars yourself, doesn't mean no one else does either, or wanting to purchase the FSM is without merit.

That said, not knowing what the subscription based service entails, if OP can print out the entire manual for the $10 for one day or $50 for 30 days Honda charges, then it's a great deal. :yes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
With the proclivity of the internet and forums like these, why would you ever need a printed service manual these days?

I'm a pretty avid DIY and know my way around a vehicle. I've used service manuals before for some detailed rebuilds, but a majority of the stuff you don't need them. A lot of the maintenance in some modern cars require some pretty advanced computers to read/reset different codes and sensors.

What are you trying to do to a brand new car that would require a service manual?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
@Aviography: Agreed! I wrench my 7th Gen thanks to the wealth of info provided here on this forum. So much of the technical info came from member "Princess" that I am indebted to her.

It takes a while for the service manual info to "trickle down". But it will....and it will be shared here on this forum. The 9th Gen is still new and most owners are still modding- not fixing or (36K, 60K, etc) maintaining yet.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I am a DIY and always have been. Due to the price of recent used cars I decided this time at the age of 48 to buy a New 2013 Honda Accord LX . I have been wanting to do some things to my car and I have been weekly checking Helm Inc site for a service manual to the point that I emailed them and they did not have a date for that manual. I reached the point I took my time and wrote Honda a letter addressing the point that I needed a service manual.

I received a call today from American Honda's Regional customer service manager Stephen. He directed me to Techinfo.honda.com and this is a subscription service for 1 day $10 30 day $50 and 365 days $350. I told him I own cars for 10 plus years and that was not going to work and if prior to my purchase I would have known this is what Honda did by stopping Helm Inc printing manuals I would not have purchased the car and I will never buy another Honda product because of this. He expressed his apologies and said he would document this and send it on. For those of you waiting for a service manual for your car. YOU WILL NEVER GET A HONDA PRINTED SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR CAR!!!!! Make your voices heard and let Honda know what you think of that policy and how that will impact your future car purchases. :thumbsdow
I feel what you are saying. Whenever I go to my Honda dealer to buy parts, I also ask for a service manual printout if it is a totally new job I have not done in the past. I generally do not buy cars that I would have hard time fixing it myself. The service manual is must when you are doing a semi complicated job such as timing belt change. You will run into the same issue whether you buy a Toyota, BMW, MB, Lexus or Acura.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I prefer the book vs electronic manuals as well, but this is the way the world is going, so time to get with the program. with the book you can easily flip back and forth between diagnostics using the ETM - can't do it electronically.

I disagree with your extreme outrageous attitude that you will never buy another Honda again because of this though. it's really a very minor issue. use the forum as a resource - ask what you need and you'll find someone here that can provide it.

torque specs are pretty general with the except of a few items. i.e. 6mm bolts 10lbs ft. banjo bolts on calipers 25lbs ft...

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand it is going electronic

I understand it is going electronic, but I own my cars for 10 years and to have access to Honda's new method of a service manual would cost me $3,500+. Just for reference if one was to buy a 2013 Ford Fusion a DVD is available for $170 and you own it for life. NO DO NOT START TRASHING FORD FUSIONS. Just a MFG to MFG comparison of methods of providing service information to their customers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I understand it is going electronic, but I own my cars for 10 years and to have access to Honda's new method of a service manual would cost me $3,500+. Just for reference if one was to buy a 2013 Ford Fusion a DVD is available for $170 and you own it for life. NO DO NOT START TRASHING FORD FUSIONS. Just a MFG to MFG comparison of methods of providing service information to their customers.
Steve, did you read Aviatonguy's suggestion to take a subscription and then print the entire manual? I'm sure that could be a ridiculously tedious exercise (having never been on the Honda service website I cannot speak from experience here). The point is that you can make a list of the things that you have commonly worked on with your past cars, then take the subscription for only a day and print everything off on your list. It's not the joy of having the whole print manual and being able to thumb through it, but it is a viable resource if used correctly I think.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
I wonder if there's some Acura repair manuals that might be useful for an Accord - just something to tide you over until the real deal comes along.

Just a thought!!

Love the idea of printing the entire book for $10 - I'd do that tomorrow if I knew I could.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
A buddy got one of those one-day access things and had his intern download it AND print it and placed in a 3 ring binder- with tabs!

Ahhhh interns- nature's free labor.

Cost him $50.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Service manuals are nice but the only car I used mine on was my Alfa. My 854R didn't have a paper manual but I did just happen to have a copy of VADIS on my laptop;)

I would buy the 1 day access and screenshot each page or at least the ones I needed for that job then print them out just because I love oily fingerprints on my manuals. :)

This forum has tons of information and as other have stated more DIY's come out everyday. Don't let an instructions booklet shy you away from an entire brand.

·
Formerly 00Accord4cyl
80 Posts
You sound like a difficult customer to deal with if you are writing off a whole company because they don't have a manual. You do realize that any of this information could easily be found on the internet right? My family has an accord for each of the past 4 generations and I have never had problems finding information on how to work on the cars. Anything from changing bulbs to removing fenders, bumpers, etc I have found via the interwebs. I can understand your frustration if this was 15+ years ago and the information was not easily accessible by the internet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Repair Manual

That is pretty crappy of Honda to do that but that wouldn't stop me from buying one of their cars. Things like recalls and lawsuits about honda odyssey honda accord acura, 04 TL transmission recalls, 04 Acura TL 06 Honda odyssey power steering issues. 06 Honda civic engine block cracks visor recall and rear camber recalls, honda fit driver window switch. 09 Acura TSX sunroof rusting after 3 years, Acura TSX V tech knock when in 32 degree or less weather. I still own the TL, Odyssey, Civic, and the fit. Even after all those recalls I still bought a 14 Accord in Sept of 13. My advise is to look around the internet and you will probably find a manual that some one has uploaded. Or go to ebay they have repair manuals on disc for less than 10 dollars most of the time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That said, not knowing what the subscription based service entails, if OP can print out the entire manual for the $10 for one day or $50 for 30 days Honda charges, then it's a great deal. :yes:
That's a really good idea. Print to PDF and you have a searchable manual as well. I just might do that, although I doubt I would need 99% of it. I have the FSM for my '99 Civic and have used maybe two dozen pages.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Or go to ebay they have repair manuals on disc for less than 10 dollars most of the time.
That's exactly where I got my Sentra manual. If anyone needs a copy let me know!

·
3rd Pedal
36 Posts
Steve, I apologize if this has been mentioned but you'll find that your new Honda is much more reliable and less service intensive than your previous car... now had you bought a VW like the one in my driveway you might have something to get worked up about. Drive and enjoy the low maintenance and reliability of your Accord. Cheers

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.