Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome to DA! You have taken fantastic care of your Accord, it looks great! :thumbsup:

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
Congrats rendog! Your 2004 still looks great after all these years!

Its quite obvious you took very good care of it. The paint and interior looks great, and the OEM rims look new as well.

I suggest you polish the headlights to restore clarity and brightness when driving. Both headlights on my 2004 were clouding on the inside surfaces, so I got both of them replaced with new OEM ones last year. The College Hills Honda web site is an excellent online source for OEM parts.

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you find useful tips to continue keeping your 7th Gen in tiptop shape, and feel free to share with us the maintenance advice that will keep our Accords running as long as your has. What major engine and fluid maintenance have you performed?

·
Registered
375 Posts
That interior looks better than mine. I think the previous owner of mine left it in the garage with a broken window for a while.
Also, the Ivory interiors obviously show dirt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome!

That car looks amazing! 350k that's my goal--I love seeing these kinds of posts!

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,447 Posts
Since my commute is only 1.5 miles now, I doubt I'll have this car long enough to get that many miles on it. Nice job keeping it up! Does it run as good as it looks?

·
Registered
267 Posts
That looks awesome! I'm curious, have you had your transmission rebuilt? If it's the original, how often have you serviced it (changing fluids, solenoids, etc.)? My gf has an automatic '10 Civic that were trying to take care of as best as we can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all very much for the warm welcome.

Yes, I do almost all work myself.

The car was just painted about 1 month ago, the front bumper was damaged and the paint was fading on the back passenger side quarter panel.

I wet sanded my headlights about 7 months ago and they have held up well but they do not look so good with the new paint job.

Transmission is original. This is important, it is best not to "flush the transmission" and also do not change the tranny oil too often. I would say 60K miles. Just unscrew the bolt, let the tranny oil drain, and refill with HONDA FLUID. It's easier than an oil change so either do it yourself or have a shop do it without charging too much.

No work has been done to timing chain.

The car runs very well.

I'm VERY interested in the sway bar replacement that I have read about here on the forums.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm VERY interested in the sway bar replacement that I have read about here on the forums.
Definitely upgrade the sway bars if you can! Eventually I did it to mine and it's a night/day difference, handling is EXCELLENT with a good set of tires. Just be aware if you're having a shop do it labor costs may get high if it takes them a while.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Transmission is original. This is important, it is best not to "flush the transmission" and also do not change the tranny oil too often. I would say 60K miles. Just unscrew the bolt, let the tranny oil drain, and refill with HONDA FLUID. It's easier than an oil change so either do it yourself or have a shop do it without charging too much.
Why do you not suggest to change the trans fluid too often?

What motor oil/weight/filter combo do you use and at what intervals?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told by Honda mechanics not to change the transmission fluid often because it is not needed and sometimes can create problems. I've heard other mechanics say the same and I didn't bring up the conversation or state what I had also heard.

Now I will answer your motor oil question. I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 motor oil since about the 3rd oil change. I change my oil between 3,000-5,000 miles and I use a Honda oil filter and occasionally change the crush washer.

I just thought of CV axles. My passenger one is the factory original. The driver side went bad on me about 2 years ago, so it lasted about 8 years. An aftermarket one cost me $35 and the factory one was about $300. I went with the aftermarket one. It now makes a little noise only if I turn the wheel all the way when making a u-turn.

With that being said, obviously the factory CV axle is better and will last longer, but $35 every 2 years is not a bad option depending on your situation.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I was told by Honda mechanics not to change the transmission fluid often because it is not needed and sometimes can create problems. I've heard other mechanics say the same and I didn't bring up the conversation or state what I had also heard.

Now I will answer your motor oil question. I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 motor oil since about the 3rd oil change. I change my oil between 3,000-5,000 miles and I use a Honda oil filter and occasionally change the crush washer.

I just thought of CV axles. My passenger one is the factory original. The driver side went bad on me about 2 years ago, so it lasted about 8 years. An aftermarket one cost me $35 and the factory one was about $300. I went with the aftermarket one. It now makes a little noise only if I turn the wheel all the way when making a u-turn.

With that being said, obviously the factory CV axle is better and will last longer, but $35 every 2 years is not a bad option depending on your situation.
Thanks! I figure I'll have to replace mine but I'm capable of that.

FWIW your car and mine look identical (mines an 05) so it's good to know mine is on track to last :thmsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed Function and Form Type 1 Coilovers and the ride is stiff.

The height is basically at max and I did not touch the spring perches (I did not change spring rate).

Any advice to lessen the stiffness? By the way, it handles VERY well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts