Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I just picked-up a minty-clean 2010 and thought I'd start a 'vehicle history thread' here for future reference and for the benefit of the next owner. I intend to drive this car for 4-5 years and when I decide to sell it, I'll have used this thread to chronicle any major milestones or events. To the point, I'm terrible at keeping records but I DO love posting pretty pics on cool forums. I found this place and WOW, lots of helpful members, lots of traffic and TONS of information so right off the bat, I'm happy I found DriveAccord.net! :salue:

This is my 5th Accord and the 3rd coupe... second V6.

So here she is at Honda Des Sources in west-island Montreal, pre-delivery, complete with last summer's bug splats on the bumper, which have obviously been wiped-clean already. There are only very minor pits on the front bumper plastic, which I'll address once the important stuff is taken care-of.

I'm old so I don't like those non-OEM rims but we'll get to that soon.....

It has 173K kms on it at the moment (107K miles, for you 'murkins) and it runs just how you'd expect an Accord with low mileage to run. Like brand-new.

The carproof report is clean. No accidents. The first owner bought it in July 2010 and had it for 2.5 years so I'm assuming it was a 3 year lease. The second owner bought it Feb 2013 so it sounds like Honda Canada offered the original lessee an incentive to trade-up early, which is very common, here in Montreal at least. The 2nd owner just traded it back-in on a 2017... and now, it's MINE.

The car is so minty-clean and the paint still GLEAMING that it's obviously been garage stored til now. I'm a OCD detailing freak and I'm astounded at how the OEM paint is still virtually flawless. The headlights show the usual clearcoat wear to be expected with this mileage so I'll be wet-sanding / resurfacing them. Beyond that, my goal is to pre-emptively maintain this 99%-perfect specimen back to 100%.

Timing belt: When I asked about this, the Honda dealership told that no, it hasn't been done yet. I'll have my mechanic replace it, along with the water pump and accessory belt.... not sure if the tensioner should be done at the same time so I'll be reading-up about that out here.

Brakes: non-issue... I'll be replacing all 4 corners myself (but just servicing the calipers, since they're always serviceable). Honda brakes are so nice and easy to work on.

Fluids: This car is so clean and starts, sounds and drives like brand new that I'm going to flush EVERYTHING. To be done over the next few weekends: Brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid...and I'm anxious to read-up out here about the tranny fluid so thanks in advance!

I'm buying a house NEXT year so this car will be a non-garage car for at least one year. Here she is in my parking spot... still no plate - just the transit sticker (or what you 'murkins call a dealer tag, if I rely on the movie 'Fargo')

Those rims: Before I even took delivery of the car, I went online and found a set of the OEM 18 inchers. A very motivated seller even delivered them to my office! My boss wasn't too thrilled with me about the temporary office décor :grin

They have a reasonable amount of curb-rash but I'll just refinish them back to perfect and they'll stay that way, since I do NOT curb my rims.

Then tonight, I tried removing the chrome ones but they have some weird, smaller lugnut so I can't even swap out my rims until I figure out what to do about them... so for now, I'm driving with non-OEM rims.... first world problems lol.

More as it comes. Thanks everyone!

·
HK Moderator
13,586 Posts
Welcome, eh?

I can't give enough respect to you on your first post here- you are immediately thinking of fluids and maintenance, and will THEN move on to the less important stuff. You are wise, kind sir. You also mentioned searching for write-ups and "How To's"- that is good.

As for the wheel lug nuts, do you know the type of lug nuts Honda Accords take? Honda and Acura wheels are not like the others- we use BALL SEAT type lug nuts for Honda and Acura wheels- not "Acorn", not flat, not conical. BALL SEAT. You probably know that already, but when a thousand people come across your thread in the next ten years- they need to know this.

LOL, a true car nut always has car parts coming or going, with apologies to co-workers. After a while, they stop caring and just get used to it.

Remember to use Honda DW-1 on the automatic transmission, and proper silicone-based lubricant on the brake slider pins. We get a lot of road salt in Chicago, so I do my brakes every year and try to use the parking brake from time to time.

Check out write-ups from detailers such as @glen e, @Coach Steve, and @jrock645.....you may learn something new. Honda paint is a love/hate thing.

Timing belt and other things: Yes, it is slightly overdue. You will need to change the tensioner and spark plugs too. Most timing belt "failures" are caused NOT by the belt snapping- but by the tensioner failing. There are good write-ups here on that maintenance package. Does the ride come with an owner's manual? If not, you can go to the Honda Owner's link and download a manual.

Fight Club welcome!
(Tyler Durden is on the right, front row)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, eh?

I can't give enough respect to you on your first post here- you are immediately thinking of fluids and maintenance, and will THEN move on to the less important stuff. You are wise, kind sir. You also mentioned searching for write-ups and "How To's"- that is good.

As for the wheel lug nuts, do you know the type of lug nuts Honda Accords take? Honda and Acura wheels are not like the others- we use BALL SEAT type lug nuts for Honda and Acura wheels- not "Acorn", not flat, not conical. BALL SEAT. You probably know that already, but when a thousand people come across your thread in the next ten years- they need to know this.

LOL, a true car nut always has car parts coming or going, with apologies to co-workers. After a while, they stop caring and just get used to it.

Remember to use Honda DW-1 on the automatic transmission, and proper silicone-based lubricant on the brake slider pins. We get a lot of road salt in Chicago, so I do my brakes every year and try to use the parking brake from time to time.

Check out write-ups from detailers such as @glen e, @Coach Steve, and @jrock645.....you may learn something new. Honda paint is a love/hate thing.

Timing belt and other things: Yes, it is slightly overdue. You will need to change the tensioner and spark plugs too. Most timing belt "failures" are caused NOT by the belt snapping- but by the tensioner failing. There are good write-ups here on that maintenance package. Does the ride come with an owner's manual? If not, you can go to the Honda Owner's link and download a manual.

Fight Club welcome!
(Tyler Durden is on the right, front row)
Thank you!
But I'm not a teenager looking to make his Accord 'faster'. I'm an old fart who wants to preserve his investment... although I'm still a teenager in how I actually dote on pretty cars. I love Hondas in general. I'm the go-to guy for maintenance for all my friends and family who I've pushed towards Honda. IE, I do brakes & oil, since that's pretty much all that Hondas need, beyond rubber.

Then the tensioner is on the shopping list. My mechanic will pout but I'll shoot him an extra $100 since I'll buy OEM parts from my dealership to compensate him for the lost profits on jobber part sales. Plugs make sense too.

....And for the record, Tyler isn't really in that pic. He's in the kitchen emitting bodily fluids into the clam chowder lol.

I hate to burst your bubble about my having my priorities straight but I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight with THIS

So I at least did a first-pass with a bucket of warm water and a rag. Actual detailing will come after important stuff has been taken care of but at least it doesn't look un-loved anymore.

·
HK Moderator
13,586 Posts
Wow, is that the same engine bay?!

Just for comparison- check out prices on the Aisin-brand timing belt kits.....from a thread in the 7th Gen forum: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/450225-3-0l-v6-motor-05-accord-timing-belt-kit-recommended-brand.html

I know what you mean about being the "maintenance guy" in a circle of friends. I told one friend after his second Ford transmission in 2 years- that I was going to murder him if he did not buy a Toyota or Honda- because I was tired of dealing with his Mercury Grand Marquis every other weekend.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,053 Posts
That's a flashy looking 8th Gen Coupe! Congrats! Mine doesn't look nearly as flawless, although it also has a "no accident" status. A lot of oopsies as it's my first car.

Does it have a navigation system? Just curious.

I see you have an automatic. I guess maybe you just want something that drives, and there are a couple of members here that are older and can't really drive a standard anymore. The biggest regret I have is not getting a V6 Coupe with a standard transmission.

Depends on your driving behaviour, you may or may not want to invest into a VCMuzzler or VCMTuner, as VCM can be problematic if you do a lot of highway driving. Remember to push the Accord V6 sometimes - even with the automatic, it goes. The notes it makes are fantastic, and I am sure you will enjoy it. I know I did. Again, if mine is a stick, I will definitely keep it much longer.

Maintenance-wise, make sure you check the spark plugs, the power steering fluid, the PCV valve and the air filters(both cabin and engine). Those can be easily overlooked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a flashy looking 8th Gen Coupe! Congrats! Mine doesn't look nearly as flawless, although it also has a "no accident" status. A lot of oopsies as it's my first car.

Does it have a navigation system? Just curious.

I see you have an automatic. I guess maybe you just want something that drives, and there are a couple of members here that are older and can't really drive a standard anymore. The biggest regret I have is not getting a V6 Coupe with a standard transmission.

Depends on your driving behaviour, you may or may not want to invest into a VCMuzzler or VCMTuner, as VCM can be problematic if you do a lot of highway driving. Remember to push the Accord V6 sometimes - even with the automatic, it goes. The notes it makes are fantastic, and I am sure you will enjoy it. I know I did. Again, if mine is a stick, I will definitely keep it much longer.

Maintenance-wise, make sure you check the spark plugs, the power steering fluid, the PCV valve and the air filters(both cabin and engine). Those can be easily overlooked.
RE: filters and PCV... those are so no-brainer items that I didn't bother mentioning them. I won't chronicle EVERYTHING here, like oil changes. Just the important stuff.

I've never even heard of VCM so I'm assuming it's an ECU add-on like power commanders for motorbikes? Naaaahhh, no tuner thingies for me, unless there's a tangible benefit for economy / reliability. I'm a very boring type and all of my cars and bikes must be 100% stock / all-original, hence my buying the correct wheels before even taking delivery of the car itself.

Curious: how can you tell it's an automatic from the pics? Yeah, my preference would have been the stick with bluetooth but after 5 weeks of scanning online ads and dealerships, I 'settled' for this automatic sans bluetooth. The NAV, I couldn't care less about. I'll buy a suitable bluetooth adapter for hands-free phone calls, since my work has me blabbling on the phone a lot.

I did put my foot down while test driving it and yep, it goes pretty good. I don't have a heavy foot but it's nice to know it'll get up & go smartly if the need arises.

Wow, is that the same engine bay?!
Yessir - note the headlight's damaged clearcoat in both pics.

I know what you mean about being the "maintenance guy" in a circle of friends. I told one friend after his second Ford transmission in 2 years- that I was going to murder him if he did not buy a Toyota or Honda- because I was tired of dealing with his Mercury Grand Marquis every other weekend.
LOL - yep, same story here and all my friends and family are now used to having zero mechanical issues as a result. It costs everyone my standard fee (a 12-pack) for each brake job.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,053 Posts
RE: filters and PCV... those are so no-brainer items that I didn't bother mentioning them. I won't chronicle EVERYTHING here, like oil changes. Just the important stuff.

I've never even heard of VCM so I'm assuming it's an ECU add-on like power commanders for motorbikes? Naaaahhh, no tuner thingies for me, unless there's a tangible benefit for economy / reliability. I'm a very boring type and all of my cars and bikes must be 100% stock / all-original, hence my buying the correct wheels before even taking delivery of the car itself.

Curious: how can you tell it's an automatic from the pics? Yeah, my preference would have been the stick with bluetooth but after 5 weeks of scanning online ads and dealerships, I 'settled' for this automatic sans bluetooth. The NAV, I couldn't care less about. I'll buy a suitable bluetooth adapter for hands-free phone calls, since my work has me blabbling on the phone a lot.

I did put my foot down while test driving it and yep, it goes pretty good. I don't have a heavy foot but it's nice to know it'll get up & go smartly if the need arises.
Loos like you know your stuff. Good to see another 8th Gen Coupe going to a loving home.

VCM(Variable Cylinder Management) is a bit of a problematic technology Honda implemented on AT V6 Accords(AT V6 Accords say "VCM 3.5 i-VTEC" on engine covers while MT V6 ones just say "3.5 VTEC" - that's how I knew it's an auto). It basically shuts off cylinders for you when it sees fit, but the problem is that the disabled cylinders can lose pressure over time and you can oil entering the disabled cylinders, which fouls your plugs and do other damage. Some engines are lost because of mostly light throttle driving and/or highway cruising. Honda had to do a settlement because of these complaints; that's how bad it got. Again, your decision. If you drive your car hard frequently then you won't need it, but if you don't, might be worth it. VCMuzzler also has a pretty OEM look and is very easy to install/take off. I might have mine up for sale soon.

And yeah, MT Accords are pretty rare. By the time I saw one(that's really far way - about 3~4 hours away) that I want, I already have my mind set on another car. Stock Bluetooth works really well in my car, while the Navi isn't too shabby. Just annoying that you have to buy discs to upgrade it constantly.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,817 Posts
Vous avez la bonne idée de faire le maintenance avant de modifier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
VCM(Variable Cylinder Management) is a bit of a problematic technology Honda implemented on AT V6 Accords
Thanks for the heads-up, as I had never heard of this issue. I just read a few posts out here and yikes, sounds like there's one more item to add to the shopping list.

Vous avez la bonne idée de faire le maintenance avant de modifier.
Salut fellow-frenchie! :salue:

André à Montréal

Judging by it's pristine condition, I have to assume the previous owner loved it too so maybe the VCM disable has already been done.

I've searched here and there's SO MUCH info to sift through that I can't find what I'm looking for. Is there an easy way for me to check if it's already been done? If someone could point me at a thread on the subject, I'd be most appreciative.

Woohoo! One of my neighbors has some hideous aftermarket rims so I asked her and she has the little thingy to remove my lugnuts. Looks a lot prettier sans chrome rims

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,053 Posts
Judging by it's pristine condition, I have to assume the previous owner loved it too so maybe the VCM disable has already been done.

I've searched here and there's SO MUCH info to sift through that I can't find what I'm looking for. Is there an easy way for me to check if it's already been done? If someone could point me at a thread on the subject, I'd be most appreciative.
When you are cruising at constant speed, does a green ECO light come one? It's at the lower part of the speedometer. When the ECO mode comes on, VCM can be active. VCM will not activate if the ECO light doesn't come on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you are cruising at constant speed, does a green ECO light come one? It's at the lower part of the speedometer. When the ECO mode comes on, VCM can be active. VCM will not activate if the ECO light doesn't come on.
Thank you sir. Now I know what to look for. So no green ECO light is the desired state.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,053 Posts
Thank you sir. Now I know what to look for. So no green ECO light is the desired state.
Pretty much, although with a VCMuzzler, you may have the green ECO light on for a bit if you are sitting in the traffic, but it should turn off as you start moving.

One more thing to add: check if your airbag recall is done. Honda just released one in February for early 8th Gens, so make sure you have that done. Yours is a 2010, but I would just check to make sure if it's recalled. Like all recalls, it is free at your local Honda dealership if you need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll get back to the whole VCM thing soon but for the time-being.....

A month has gone by (life happened). While I HAVE been buying fluids, parts and such, it wasn't until yesterday that I got to installing them.

As I said before, I'm terrible at keeping records so I'll post pics of the receipts lol. I'm not sure if photobucket will render sufficient resolution on these pics but here's the break-down:

From the dealer:
Honda coolant
Honda power steering fluid
Honda brake fluid

My local mechanic is such an awesome guy. He has built a huge, loyal clientèle from being honest and always treating everyone well. He ordered Grant (which I'm told is what Honda uses as OEM) complete kit, which includes the timing belt, tensioner and water pump. He also got me the accessory belt and he gave me 20% off on both.

But get this: Even though I had his most senior mechanic working on my car for a good part of the day, no charge for the labor! He's getting me to help him out on a project more in my area of expertise so we'll call it 'an exchange of services". Fine by me!

Since the water pump came-off, he also drained and refilled my cooling system while he was in there so a big chunk of the work is now done. He told me the coolant was still blue but I told him to change it anyway. I already bought the stuff and it'll be good for years to come now.

So it costed me a total of $737 taxes-in to do the cooling system, timing belt / tensioner and accessory belt. That's in $CAD. I just checked and $737 CAD is $555 USD so not too bad.

Dunno why I bothered but I took some pics to commemorate the occasion... more like I was bored out of my mind.

And while it was up on the hoist, we inspected the brakes. I had bought all new pads and rotors but everything had recently been changed already. All 4 corners are at 85-90% remaining life so I'll have to go return all the stuff I bought.

As with the coolant in the rad, the fluid in the master cylinder is far too clean to be 7 years old so it looks like the previous owner was diligent on the servicing. But it's at least a year or maybe two old so I'll tackle that this coming weekend when I also do the power steering fluid.

The best news of all, however, was that the transmission fluid is nice and clear so it has also been done. At it's current mileage, if it has fresh fluid in it and the transmission shifts smoothly / firmly, I'm going to take my mechanic's advice and not touch it.

So far, this car has been a very enjoyable buying and driving experience. I'm very happy to report that this is also the case for its mechanical / maintenance situation! Best-case so far.

More as it comes.

Now, back to this whole VCM thing.

When I was at my dealer, I asked the guy at the service counter if there was a Honda solution to this VCM nightmare that is discussed at length out here. He looked at me with a blank expression for a while and I asked him 'you don't know about the whole VCM issue???'. He had no idea what I was talking about. But the guy was only maybe mid-20s so maybe he's new.

He called a couple of the mechanics from the back and George, the most senior guy at this big dealer explained to him and me as follows:

Yes, there was an issue with some model years where VCM resulted in some excessive oil consumption and in a worst-case, Honda would replace the rings on the rear cylinder bank. But it's not really an issue if the car was properly maintained by a Honda dealership because in 2011 (when my car was only a year old), there was a software fix that changed the way VCM worked, which resolved the issue.

At no-charge, they pulled my car into the shop and plugged it in to check and mine has had the fix applied. As has been pointed out in the previous post above, the car has been well-maintained to date so this doesn't come as a surprise.

This senior mechanic at a big Honda dealer has the same car as me (his is an '09) and when I mentioned these muzzler things, he said as long as the Honda fix is in place, there's no issue. He also commented that it's illogical to 'fix' something that isn't a problem, especially if killing the VCM makes you lose the awesome gas mileage you get in a car with almost 300 hp.

The story ends here... although below the line of stars, there's a small, unlikely possibility I may require service

The mechanic explained that it is still possible (however extremely unlikely) that the car had been driven far enough in the year before the fix was applied, that the engine may still consume more oil than usual and require the rings to be changed. This is done by Honda Canada for free, however. I think he said as long as it's under 10 years and 180K kms so I'm fine.

It involves two steps though. First, I have to notice oil consumption. If I do, then I have to bring it in and they basically check the oil and mileage. I have to drive the car min 1000 kms and let them check it again. If it is indeed consuming oil, then they'll do the rings for free.

But I've been driving this thing a lot, including a lot of highway with the green ECO light on. The oil level hasn't budged even a mm since day 1 over a month ago so I think this is moot.

Now, onto non-critical but still important things. I have to admit that despite the accident-free carfax report, I was a little skeptical about the car's 10/10 immaculate condition. It's almost 'too clean', suggesting a smashed car that's been repainted.

So When I got the timing belt done, I asked my mechanic to really scrutinize the car and I'll outline below why he said it's 100% legit.

One thing I had already noticed was that both headlights showed the expected clearcoat wear from the indicated 172k kms. So right away, that says that both headlights are original, meaning no head-on shenanigans.

In this pic, you can see that the previous owner tried to resurface the headlight himself and quickly chickened out lol.

So if the front-end is original and this clean, then it's not much of a stretch to believe the carfax report accident-free status. My mechanic found no sign of overspray indicating any repainting or even touch-up so I was just being paranoid.

So I wet-sanded the headlights with 400/600/1000/1500/2000 grit, then simply hand-buffed it with a fine scratch remover. Easy-peasy, maybe 20-30 minutes per side.
The glass, paint and chrome are 10/10 gorgeous after 7 years, which speaks volumes about Honda build quality. The interior is also amazingly clean but I'll wait until I have some pics to post of that too.

I've read that once you resurface headlights, that they'll cloud-over within 2-3 months but I did the same thing with my daughter's '05 Civic 2 years ago and it still looks perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts