Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as the title states, My 2013 Honda accord 4 door i4 CVT hit 250k today, No real issues with the car other than obvious maintenance, as of right now I need to do my rotors and pads and maybe a transmission flush but other than that the car has been good to me. (Knock on wood) I usually do maintenance a little early compared to the recommended amount of miles, like the oil I do it around every 5-7k miles or once a year. I mainly do all the maintenance myself if possible, the only thing I ever take it in for is for tires and alignments.

Odometer Trip computer Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument

Overall the car has held up very well, most people don't believe me when I tell them it has more than 100k miles lmao.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Gear shift

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Sky Mirror Motor vehicle

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As much as I love this car I do wonder how much I should push it... even though it has been really good to me it is very high milage, especially for the CVT. I've heard nothing but horror story's of the CVT's blowing up for no apparent reason. Should I keep it for a little bit longer and trade before something does happen for something newer like the 2.0t 10-speed auto 10th gen or just keep it until the wheels fall off?

· Registered
2008 lx 2.4l
45 Posts
Maybe most defiantly do you trans fush. Mine was DARK. I replaced it at 200K on my 2008 M/T with the Honda brand[only bout 15$ a Litre You need 2(two) ] It was dark so I recommend proceeding with that right away , it takes no longer then an hour if its on a lift. Easy to do check youtube, lots of videos on it.
Good luck with the car man beauti looking rig there bud!

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
So as the title states, My 2013 Honda accord 4 door i4 CVT hit 250k today, No real issues with the car other than obvious maintenance, as of right now I need to do my rotors and pads and maybe a transition flush but other than that the car has been good to me. (Knock on wood) I usually do maintenance a little early compared to the recommended amount of miles, like the oil I do it around every 5-7k miles or once a year. I mainly do all the maintenance myself if possible, the only thing I ever take it in for is for tires and alignments.

View attachment 545244

Overall the car has held up very well, most people don't believe me when I tell them it has more than 100k miles lmao.

View attachment 545245 View attachment 545246

View attachment 545247 View attachment 545248
Wow, that is absolutely amazing amd your car is still in great shape
so this is still your original starter?

· Registered
706 Posts
You couldn't have had many "once a year" oil changes of less than 7000 miles in order to hit 250,000 in this duration of time!

Reactions: blipco

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You couldn't have had many "once a year" oil changes of less than 7000 miles in order to hit 250,000 in this duration of time!
Actually I don't think I ever had a "once a year" in this car haha, maybe the first year I had the car I had to do it only once. But for all the vehicles I own it goes by that rule, like my Tacoma doesn't see no where as near as much miles that my accord does so it gets the yearly treatment

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe most defiantly do you trans fush. Mine was DARK. I replaced it at 200K on my 2008 M/T with the Honda brand[only bout 15$ a Litre You need 2(two) ] It was dark so I recommend proceeding with that right away , it takes no longer then an hour if its on a lift. Easy to do check youtube, lots of videos on it.
Definitely one of next mandatory maintenance need-to-do's, I've looked down into the fill hole on the CVT and its not the worst but its most definitely not new.

Also, Thanks man, I take pride in keeping my car clean :)

· CORB52
49 Posts
I'm at 175k in my 13 Sport CVT and plan to go at least as long as you have. Replaced a starter, but that was the only repair so far. The 2.4 I4 motor is more durable than it's replacement the 1.5 in the 10th gen. I do the major maintenance at 60-70k as recommended and make sure the tranny fluid is changed. Want to see the 11th gen hybrid come close to lasting as long as the 9th gen 2.4 i4!

· Registered
738 Posts
I've got 102K miles on my 2013 V6 Coupe. I did the timing belt maintenence, spark plugs, drive belt stuff. Unfortunately it looks like my starter is giving out and is grinding so there goes a couple hundred bucks. I plan on putting around 140K to 150K miles before selling this car.

· Registered
95 Posts
So as the title states, My 2013 Honda accord 4 door i4 CVT hit 250k today, No real issues with the car other than obvious maintenance, as of right now I need to do my rotors and pads and maybe a transmission flush but other than that the car has been good to me. (Knock on wood) I usually do maintenance a little early compared to the recommended amount of miles, like the oil I do it around every 5-7k miles or once a year. I mainly do all the maintenance myself if possible, the only thing I ever take it in for is for tires and alignments.

View attachment 545244

View attachment 545245 View attachment 545246

View attachment 545247 View attachment 545248
So you are saying in 250k miles still have the original CVT fluid ? Definitely change that as planned. Personally change mine every 30k miles and also replaced that filter under the CVT warmer cover. I am picky about my maintenance and have noticed some comments about filter replace is not necessary.
Really great condition from looking at your pictures. Would keep driving the car if it were me.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,662 Posts
Agree. Every 30k miles I change the fluid with Honda DW1. It's not in the maintenance schedudle. Do a search of the site for "transmission flush," the search bar is on the main page after login.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you are saying in 250k miles still have the original CVT fluid ? Definitely change that as planned. Personally change mine every 30k miles and also replaced that filter under the CVT warmer cover. I am picky about my maintenance and have noticed some comments about filter replace is not necessary.
Really great condition from looking at your pictures. Would keep driving the car if it were me.
its never had a "true" flush, I have drained out as much as I can and fill it with the same amount I got out. Just mixing new fluid with some of the old to keep it maintained. The filter is so easy to change I don't see why people argue to skip it lol

· Registered
38 Posts
its never had a "true" flush, I have drained out as much as I can and fill it with the same amount I got out. Just mixing new fluid with some of the old to keep it maintained. The filter is so easy to change I don't see why people argue to skip it lol
I am not sure if you watch Scotty Kilmer's Youtube channel, but he recommends against a flush on older transmissions. He has reported many instances of a flush causing issues with internal paths getting blocked and causing poor shifting. I have no experience with the flush process, just reporting what I have seen on Youtube from a mechanic. He recommends just what you have been doing.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/QUOTE]
Even if the CVT goes you can replace it and you still have a very nice car. The engine in this car will go the long haul. I have a 2014 and it does burn a quart of oil every 500-750 miles. I am about to turn over 200k miles.

View attachment 545270
Great looking car! I found adding a oil catch can and replacing the PVC valve really helps with the oil consumption, mine was burning about a quart every 1-1.5 thousand miles (not that bad considering) and burns almost none now in between oil changes

· Registered
362 Posts
As much as I love this car I do wonder how much I should push it... even though it has been really good to me it is very high milage, especially for the CVT. I've heard nothing but horror story's of the CVT's blowing up for no apparent reason. Should I keep it for a little bit longer and trade before something does happen for something newer like the 2.0t 10-speed auto 10th gen or just keep it until the wheels fall off?
I say keep driving it til the wheels fall off, that's what I plan to do with mine :) I'm at about 319K miles right now.

· Lebowski Urban Achiever
311 Posts
Ride looks great! Gives me hope for my '13 running for years to come (125K miles on the odo) Did you ever have your valves adjusted, checked and/or cleaned?

· Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
320 Posts
At ~4qts per d/f that's 50% total capacity of 8qts for CVT, which is pretty good for Honda. My '01 Accord V6 is 3qts per d/f, total capacity is 7.5qts.
How often do you drain/fill the CVT? I'm doing mine every 3rd oil change currently.
I agree on the CVT filter - the one behind the heat exchanger is less than an hour to replace, and it seems to serve its purpose quite well.

Reactions: corb52
1 - 20 of 27 Posts