Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1999 Honda Accord
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When it's below 40 degrees and the engine is cold, my 99 Honda Accord (MT) refuses to start up. You can see from my Starting Video, there is plenty of juice going to the cockpit and headlinghts (I've had the battery tested twice and both times it came back good. 100% charged, made sure it was the correct size as well.) The car starts up when it warms up or when the sun hits it enough, it starts right up, no slow cranks or hesitation.

Bottom line, It's not clicking or turning over at all when I turn the key. I don't want to have to pay someone a bunch of labor to have to diagnose it, especially since it'll be running and restarting without any issues when I arrive at the shop due it being warmed up. Any ideas?

· 8th Gen Believer
5,665 Posts
Welcome to DA. I can't see the video thanks to google. If it's a 4-cylinder engine, find the crankshaft position sensor. It's somewhere around the timing chain, but I don't know exactly where. Heat it with a hair dryer and try a cold start. If it starts, then that sensor needs to be replaced. If not, tell a good independent shop what the problem is, and to check the fuel/air mixture which may be too lean to start it when cold.

· Registered
5,934 Posts
When it's below 40 degrees and the engine is cold, my 99 Honda Accord (MT) refuses to start up. You can see from my Starting Video, there is plenty of juice going to the cockpit and headlinghts (I've had the battery tested twice and both times it came back good. 100% charged, made sure it was the correct size as well.) The car starts up when it warms up or when the sun hits it enough, it starts right up, no slow cranks or hesitation.

Bottom line, It's not clicking or turning over at all when I turn the key. I don't want to have to pay someone a bunch of labor to have to diagnose it, especially since it'll be running and restarting without any issues when I arrive at the shop due it being warmed up. Any ideas?
Did you have the battery "load" tested, how many CCA is the battery outputting ?

· Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
321 Posts
If the battery is strong & the battery cable connections are good, my first guess would be the starter. When its cold out, it could be the starter is jamming up slight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.