Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Accord EX-L - while I was going through the hidden menus on the multimedia screen (hold Home, Power, & Source together), I found a screen showing all of the GPS satellites currently in use. My Accord does not have navigation.... I'm hoping someone has a hack to unlock a "hidden" navigation screen/option that it possibly has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I totally agree! Android Auto/Google Maps is superb! I just have that "nerd" in me that wants to try it. ;)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
it is probably used for the service that tracks your car. Honda can see its location if it is stolen, as long as you pay for it and have the right trim

·
Registered
22 Posts
it is probably used for the service that tracks your car. Honda can see its location if it is stolen, as long as you pay for it and have the right trim
The version of Hondalink for the EX-L doesn't include anything that uses the GPS. Only the touring has those feature which are subscription based.

I read somewhere that apple carplay will use the cars internal GPS

·
Registered
753 Posts
My car came with a service called Kahu and it definitely tracks the car through GPS, I can see it on the app on my phone. I can also set up Geo fence locations and I get notified if my car leaves my home or work location a.k.a. stolen.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The version of Hondalink for the EX-L doesn't include anything that uses the GPS. Only the touring has those feature which are subscription based.

Maybe it isn't available with hondalink, but if the head units are the same, it would make sense that they just disabled features with software on lower trims rather than adding yet another version of the infotainment system to the manufacturing line.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Doesn't make much sense to do so except that the car's GPS antenna is better placed than that of the iPhone (in the car and slightly shielded).

But it makes for a more complex interface to the car and the iPhone GPS/GLONASS/cellphone navigation sensor is pretty good and of course "close" to the Maps app running in the phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts