Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been checking my dipstick every 500 miles and seems to be low, My dealership did a software update but it didn't help the oil consumption at all. I am currently at 96K and obviously out of warranty what causes the oil consumption and how can i fix it ? at 91K i replaced the VTC Actuator out of pocket..

·
Registered
104 Posts
So i've been checking my dipstick every 500 miles and seems to be low, My dealership did a software update but it didn't help the oil consumption at all. I am currently at 96K and obviously out of warranty what causes the oil consumption and how can i fix it ? at 91K i replaced the VTC Actuator out of pocket..
I'm curious as to what year? I see these threads a lot and someone will answer you but I have no idea.. Do you spend a lot of time in vtec? As far as I know these are oil burners

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's not unusual for a Honda engine to burn oil. Do you know how low the oil gets? For your car, the High mark on the dipstick to the Low mark is about 1 quart of oil; crazy as it sounds, Honda considers 1 quart every 1,000 miles "normal".

Synthetic oil tends to consume faster than regular oil; my Accord used about 1/2 quart every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same i4 an it burns oil too. They all do , I got the software update an it didn't do shit

·
Registered
275 Posts
That sounds like an absolute pain, I feel bad for you I4 guys. I'd just grab a 5 quart jug and strap it down in the trunk. Then you would never run out!

·
Registered
426 Posts
That sounds like an absolute pain, I feel bad for you I4 guys. I'd just grab a 5 quart jug and strap it down in the trunk. Then you would never run out!
correct me if I'm wrong, but you V6 guys aren't out of the clear... isn't there a class action lawsuit for V6 oil consumption?

·
Registered
764 Posts
V6 people have spark plug #3 shooting out of the engine!

Engine Oil high in ZINC will not burn away as fast as regular or synthetic

·
Registered
293 Posts
My 2010 i4 drinks about a little less than a quart every 5,000 miles. I buy a gallon jug of Mobil 1 for my changes, use 4.3 quarts out of it for my oil change and add the remainder around 3000 miles later. My 2004 i4 sedan used to burn a quart every 1000-1500 and was in perfect mechanical shape otherwise. I had no explanation why it would burn so much, it just did. Needless to say, I am much happier burning a quart every 5,000..:nuts:

·
Banned
47 Posts
Needless to say, I am much happier burning a quart every 5,000..:nuts:
Needful to say, I am much happier having to burn mere OUNCES due to VTEC burnoff then your prodigious 1 FULL quart! hrmpfh.

As a result, we ALL have to watch the oil like a hawk especially since Honda deferred and catered to CAFE requirements and efforted for MPGees over thicker 5w-30 oil they specd for Accords back in 2005. Since 2005, it has been the paper thin 5w-20 over the aforementioned 30 weight oil but these stallworth honda shuffle right along fighting the good fight, being superb on any oil as long as it's ALWAYS FULL. Either way, VTEC burnoff is a facet of all Honda engines as far as I know REGARDLESS of 20 vs 30 and if you want your paper thin 20 weight to thoroughly protect your engine in EXTREME weather conditions, you better keep a quart or your leftover oil or whatever is in that 5 quart jug ON YOU if you want infinite VTEC performance. Not only do you not want an oil burner for the future but you also don't wan't WEAR introduced internally. And IMO, it better be good semi-synthetic oil, formulated to keep viscosity and avoid thermal wear and worse, thermal breakdown and that's how it has to GO DOWN!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Excessive oil consumption in these little 4 quirlers is common. especially at the higher rpms. Just make sure that you check it every time you fillup your car and you shouldn't have a problem

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
You asked what causes the engine to burn oil. Generally it is worn valves or piston rings. My guess is the piston rings. Not much you can do to repair that other than a full engine rebuild. In the old days to minimize oil consumption we’d run thicker oil. The thicker oil would not make its way past the rings and therefore would not burn.

A few synthetic oils come in 0W-40. The zero means it is thin at “cold start-up” and the 40 means it is “thicker” when hot. BUT make no mistake, Zero weigh oil is still much thicker at start up than the 40W is when hot. Problem here is that you don’t want to dump expensive oil into an engine if you know it will burn it – wasted money.

In non-synthetics or blends a 5W-30 should do fine. The 30W “hot” component may reduce oil consumption. And if it persists, in summer only you could use 10W-40. FYI, 10W oil at 60°F is thinner than 0W oil at 10°F. There will be no cold start problems (in summer). And yes the 40W component is thicker than what Honda wants for EPA mpg, but max mpg is no longer your goal. Engine protection is. And by the way, Lamborghinis and Ferraris typically require 40W+ oils in their engines for added protection. When driven hard, they get extra hot and need the thicker oil. For now, I’d try 5W30 oil and see what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My I-4 did not burn any oil until about 160,000 miles. It would go 1/2 a quart every 4,000 miles. I do 50/50 mix driving and used dino oil for 8 years. I got rid of it last month with 185,000 miles. The last 25,000 miles it burned a quart every 1,000 miles. I hope Honda has fixed the problem as I own an I-4 2011 Accord.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
had the same problem even after having my VTC actuator replaced twice. my i4 burns less oil now than it did since i switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 high mileage.

·
2013 Accord Coupe HFP
5 Posts
accords have problems with consumption

I just picked up my 2008 Honda Accord 4 cylinder from the shop. It had a significant problem with oil consumption. I was burning about 1 quart everYou thousand miles. The Honda 2008, 2009 and 2010 Accords are notorious for this problem especially with the VA models. There is, right now, a class action lawsuit for the V6's but the four cylinders are excluded. The dealership' s DM picked up the cost for the repair which was about 4 grand. I suggest you either talk to your dealership about fixing the issue or trading the car in before it gets worse mine started around 40 or 50 thousand miles by the time I was in the 80's I was burning oil like crazy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll join the list of I4 that burn oil..I had my VTC actuator replaced and that didnt help any..I must add also that my 2005 Acura Tsx with the k24 burned oil as well its clearly a design flaw and honda should own up to it,because otherwise I absolutely love my Accord.

·
Put that cookie down! NOW
592 Posts
There is a TSB regarding the 4 cylinders having sticky oil control rings , resulting in high oil consumption.

TSB: 12-087 and of course TSB: 11-049 w/ the software update which mostly doesn't do squat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm curious as to what year? I see these threads a lot and someone will answer you but I have no idea.. Do you spend a lot of time in vtec? As far as I know these are oil burners

I have a 2008 , I usually don't use vtech that often only when i have to merge on a highway.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts