Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, my 2013 accord LX was rear-ended by a GMC Sierra. I finally took it into the autobody shop to have the bumper repaired and in the mean time, I rented out a kia optima 2014.

Now, a short background on me. I have never driven a car outside of an Accord before. I drove a 1993 accord to a 2006 accord and now the 2013 so I am not at all biased about what I am going to say below.

My rant: I cannot believe the accord is a top seller or earned raved reviews by others. After buying the 2013 accord, my first impression was a noisy ride, bumpy ride, and the lumbar support is non-existent. I have never complained about my back or butt hurting before BUT the accord 2013 did it for me! After renting the Optima 2014, I can say without a doubt that the Accord is not good for the money. The Optima was also a base model but the drive experience felt more luxurious. The gas pedal and brake pedal are smooth and return to its default position without making a metallic clunk noise. The steering felt easy on the arms but not soft like a camry, just right. The SEATS are AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. It has a smooth feel and there is lumbar support that wrapped my back and allow me to enjoy the ride. I even find the car much more attractive but that is subjective.

So why did I buy the Accord? Well, I keep hearing about how Kias are trash and that scared me from trying one out. I went with an Accord because its what Ive grown accustomed to but the current generation are a huge let down. THe Optima feels years beyond the Accord YET it is cheaper. But I think Accord only has brand power, and is not actually a good car.

I am in fact, will trade in my Accord once I narrow down to what car I want because if the Kia was great, I wonder if the Hyundai is even better.

These are my sad opinion and I wish I had test driven other cars first. That is what I get for being loyal to the Accord brand.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Perhaps you have learned a valuable lesson that more people should learn. That lesson is that you should never buy a car based on brand loyalty. The car manufacturers offer you nothing for that loyalty and you certainly don't owe it to them.

Always go and test drive every car in the class of cars you are thinking about - and then drive some more cars that are in different classes. You might find something that is perfect for your needs even though it was not on your radar at all before shopping. Test drives are free - just takes a bit of time is all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is weird Justanotherguy. The Optima felt more substantial when driving. I felt like I was IN a car. The Accord felt like I was driving around a thin sheet of metal. I dont feel all the bumps and the ride is smoother overall. Plus when I stepped inside, I felt like I was in a luxury car (almost, because the console panel screen looks cheap). I thought Kias were cheap metal trash but I was shocked..

Honestly... you cannot like the fabric or the car seats in the Accord... even my father finds it uncomfortable around the lumbar region because there is no lumbar support there.

For really short rides... sure the accord is fine but I do 1 hour commutes now and I am uncomfortable about 20 minutes into the ride.

·
Registered
713 Posts
That is weird Justanotherguy. The Optima felt more substantial when driving. I felt like I was IN a car. The Accord felt like I was driving around a thin sheet of metal. I dont feel all the bumps and the ride is smoother overall. Plus when I stepped inside, I felt like I was in a luxury car (almost, because the console panel screen looks cheap). I thought Kias were cheap metal trash but I was shocked..

Honestly... you cannot like the fabric or the car seats in the Accord... even my father finds it uncomfortable around the lumbar region because there is no lumbar support there.

For really short rides... sure the accord is fine but I do 1 hour commutes now and I am uncomfortable about 20 minutes into the ride.
I agree the seats arent that great, but I have an EXL....
The optima tech underwhelmed, and it felt..ponderous. I didnt feel like it was luxurious...but then again nothing in this segment really is.

The accord was my choice, the Mazda6 right behind it

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I owned a 2011 optima sx for 2 months. Couldn't wait to wash my hands of it because of all the issues with the steering. Perhaps that's been fixed now.

The lesson here is to take any car you're interested in on an extended test drive. Maybe even over night. When we were car shopping few months back, I couldn't bring myself to even consider the optima. Chances are they've fixed the steering bug, but the experience left such a bad taste. Good luck if you end up buying it at some point.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Some of the worst cars are from some of the best brands. Not a good idea to make a gross generalization about a car based upon its brand, Honda included. Kia and Hyundai have been improving for years but best to check a specific model.

Those that are fortunate to drive many different brands of rental cars have the best information to make a purchase decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of the worst cars are from some of the best brands. Not a good idea to make a gross generalization about a car based upon its brand, Honda included. Kia and Hyundai have been improving for years but best to check a specific model.

Those that are fortunate to drive many different brands of rental cars have the best information to make a purchase decision.
I agree. It would be nice to rent a hyundai sonata 2015 for a few days. A test drive isn't enough imo.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I agree. It would be nice to rent a hyundai sonata 2015 for a few days. A test drive isn't enough imo.
A. I’ve driven Sonatas and they were fine cars. No major criticisms.

B. I can’t help but notice this was your FIRST post and your intent was to bash the Accord. The bashing part is fine. The majority of us know the Accord has flaws, as do ALL cars, and preferences differ. However “first-post-bashing” behavior screams TROLL.

C. The fact you put a fair amount of time into constructing your thread and have responding to others' posts with reasonable intelligence may indicate otherwise. But this major dump on a first post/thread still feels weird. At this point I still call troll.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I cross-shopped the Optima - ended up buying the Accord. I had an Optima rental for a couple days in Chicago and was happy to get back in my Accord and drive home from the airport.

The Optima is a nice car but I feel the Accord is a little nicer in most every aspect. That may change in a couple years though as Kia is working hard to earn respect.

There's a million cars out there - buy what you like!

·
No PRND
749 Posts
I know that the absence of power seats really hurts their comfort level. I can adjust my power driver seat and it is comfortable but my wife hates the passenger (its manual adjust in the Sport). She complains during every long trip we take.

·
2.5th gear
306 Posts
Lmao KIA .Let me laught. Honda as the best car ever. Kia will always sux why ? Kia Logo.
Even Hyundai.
But if you like to spend money on repairs. your choice !

·
Banned
204 Posts
Last year, my 2013 accord LX was rear-ended by a GMC Sierra. I finally took it into the autobody shop to have the bumper repaired and in the mean time, I rented out a kia optima 2014.

Now, a short background on me. I have never driven a car outside of an Accord before. I drove a 1993 accord to a 2006 accord and now the 2013 so I am not at all biased about what I am going to say below.

My rant: I cannot believe the accord is a top seller or earned raved reviews by others. After buying the 2013 accord, my first impression was a noisy ride, bumpy ride, and the lumbar support is non-existent. I have never complained about my back or butt hurting before BUT the accord 2013 did it for me! After renting the Optima 2014, I can say without a doubt that the Accord is not good for the money. The Optima was also a base model but the drive experience felt more luxurious. The gas pedal and brake pedal are smooth and return to its default position without making a metallic clunk noise. The steering felt easy on the arms but not soft like a camry, just right. The SEATS are AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. It has a smooth feel and there is lumbar support that wrapped my back and allow me to enjoy the ride. I even find the car much more attractive but that is subjective.

So why did I buy the Accord? Well, I keep hearing about how Kias are trash and that scared me from trying one out. I went with an Accord because its what Ive grown accustomed to but the current generation are a huge let down. THe Optima feels years beyond the Accord YET it is cheaper. But I think Accord only has brand power, and is not actually a good car.

I am in fact, will trade in my Accord once I narrow down to what car I want because if the Kia was great, I wonder if the Hyundai is even better.

These are my sad opinion and I wish I had test driven other cars first. That is what I get for being loyal to the Accord brand.
Try a 2015 Sonata, you'll be impressed even more. Sometimes it seems like the Sonata even quieter and rides nicer than the Camry.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

That would be me....and has made my repeated Honda buying easy/much less time consuming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
B. I can’t help but notice this was your FIRST post and your intent was to bash the Accord. The bashing part is fine. The majority of us know the Accord has flaws, as do ALL cars, and preferences differ. However “first-post-bashing” behavior screams TROLL.
X2. He says he's "never driven a car outside of an Accord" and has owned three but his first post here is to piss on the brand and brag about the KIA. Riiiiiiiiight.

·
HK Moderator
13,897 Posts
I've said this in other threads: I have a friend who works at a local Toyota dealership. Their salesmen have free time during the slow periods, so they jump on the internet and troll. If a customer prefers the Kia or Honda to the Toyota- they make a note to slam those cars the next day, hoping the prospective buyer will see it during their research.

They love it when someone comes in and says they are buying a Camry because of all the brake issues and exploding transmissions on the Accord. :) They read it on the internet! From Accord owners!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I've said this in other threads: I have a friend who works at a local Toyota dealership. Their salesmen have free time during the slow periods, so they jump on the internet and troll. If a customer prefers the Kia or Honda to the Toyota- they make a note to slam those cars the next day, hoping the prospective buyer will see it during their research.

They love it when someone comes in and says they are buying a Camry because of all the brake issues and exploding transmissions on the Accord. :) They read it on the internet! From Accord owners!
I love when people buy Camry's...makes it really easy to spot who can't drive / doesn't care about driving and who should be put in the rearview as soon as possible.

On topic back in 2012 I tried all the competitors. Accord was the last I tried after trying everything else and it didn't have any of the complaints I had about the Altima or Camry or Optima or Fusion. I only discovered later that Honda's are the most serviceable cars in the universe. Kias...good luck even finding instructions on how to change the cabin air filter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts