Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I made an account to make this post. My dad's car (a 6th generation 2000 Honda Accord full-size sedan LX Special Edition) has driven 300k miles over 20 years in Michigan weather. My dad's been able to fix most everything else, but lately the suspension is making a very loud squeaking noise. I think my dad said he changed "bunions", or some rubber around the suspension, and that the friction between new rubber and metal is what's causing the suspension to squeal. It stops squealing as much in cold weather. My dad really doesn't want to replace the car, because it's our bloodline's first new car, and I grew up with it, but he says the noise is unbearable and has been exploring getting a new Acura. Problem with new cars is that it's all digital and he can't fix things as easily.

I'm wondering whether anybody would know why the suspension would squeal. A list of possible things to look at would be super great, and would help save one 6th generation Honda Accord from the scrapper.

Thanks
Ying

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,862 Posts
My 1999 Accord sedan makes a loud squealing when the nuts on the front sway bar links become loose. I have my local shop tighten the bolts and the sound stops. So try that first. It's very easy to tighten them yourself, just jack the car up, take the front wheels off and tighten them. Happens every couple of months on my car. Just to be clear, if the sway bar links are the problem, your car is not in danger. Your car can actually be driven without a sway bar at all. So don't junk the car over sway bar links lol.

Here's a picture of the part I'm talking about. It's in the front suspension and they're pretty easy to see once you take the wheel off. Try tightening the bolts on both ends, on both sides in the front.

I'm assuming he replaced the sway bar link bushings. If he used polyurethane bushings, it is well-known that they are noisy and often make a squeaky rubbing sound. If you use rubber ones, they won't make the same sound. You can ask him what ones he used. If he doesn't remember, you'll most likely be able to see what they are when you take the wheels off and look. If they're red, those are polyurethane. They make black ones too, but you should be able to see the difference between the plastic-looking urethane and the rubber ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks so much @enne! I forwarded your response to my dad, and I'll wait to hear back. This community is amazing!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,862 Posts
No problem. Don't want to see a nice 6th gen go to the scrapyard lol. Hopefully this is the only problem and it's an easy fix. I agree that these cars are much easier to work on by yourself than a new one, which is why I still have mine.

There aren't many of us 6th gen owners left on DA anymore. If you need more help with this issue (or anything else), you can join over at www.6thgenaccord.com where the focus is this generation. I'm over there too.

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
Three things here:

1. Any new rubber components that were replaced weren't torqued to spec and now squeal / squeak when compressing and expanding through their travel. Tightening these components will resolve this.

2. As @enne; said, if bushings were replaced with polyurethane, they will squeak if they weren't greased up before installation.

3. +1 on 6thgenaccord

1 - 5 of 5 Posts