Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background info..

So last Thursday (September 30, 2010) my 2006 Honda Accord was keyed HARD on the driver's side. My father owns the Days Inn in Hartford, CT which I work at a little bit during school.

I only had a 4 hour shift (7pm to 11pm) that Thursday. Anyways, so this lady has 3 dogs with her and a passenger van (where 10-12 people can fit) with a U-Haul trailer. She ended up parking in the worst spot and was literally blocking the flow of traffic in the parking lot. I call her promptly after I realized and asked her as nicely as I could to move her car, as I didn't want the fire department to give her a ticket.

She said she would be right down and that she appreciated me calling. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:.

So I got out of work at 11pm, and my brother and cousins came through and we chilled in one of the rooms until about 1am. We all end up leaving together and then we notice the HUGE key mark. I'm just disappointed at this point and just wanted to go home and sleep.

My brother says to check the cameras, but I said there was no point since our cameras are old and there was no way we could get a clear license plate number. He says, "Maybe they're stupid enough to rent a room, and still be here."

So I go in the office and start from 1:30am all the way back to the beginning of my shift. I kept thinking this happened when I was in the room with my cousins, but it turned out it happened during my shift at around 7:20pm.

You can see her go around my little cousins Camry (he's the one in the office with me), and then come over to my driver side and keys it. The alarm then goes off (which I completely forgot about, thought I pressed the panic button by accident lol). Then she walks in casually, says hi to my cousin and me, then goes to her room and falls asleep.

I called the police at roughly 1:15am, they didn't get here until 4:15am. I showed him my proof and he went upstairs, got her, showed her the video, then arrested her.

She is from Florida, and is 67 years old! Yeah, she owns her own Balloon business, seemed like a very nice lady, but she apparently keys cars for no reason at all. We even gave her a nice discount on the room, and charged her half price on the dogs. And this is what I get lol.

Anyways, here are the pics and the video..

As you can see, the deepest scratch was on the actual driver door, seems as if she used a house key and used the teeth of the key to do most of the damage. :(

And here's the video..
I'll post the link after everything is settled...got a few PM's from some great members that said it could bite me in the butt.

Got an estimate for the damage, and it was about $1600.00. We're settling it right now (trying not to involve lawyers/court), and she wants the charges dropped. Hopefully I can get a little more from her and get my front end repainted at the same time.

Her reason for the vandalism was because she was on her "prescription" meds and was drinking so she couldn't control herself. She has a court date in a week, and she has to come back to CT all the way from Florida. Hope this this dumb lady learns her lesson.

-Amar

·
Living Life
492 Posts
Dang man, I personally wouldn't think that this lady would do anything. Sorry about that, hopefully everything goes well. :thmsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I wouldn't have dropped the charges and I'd sure as hell sue her too.

Since you work at the place she parked at, I would also have called a tow company and had her crap boxes towed away as abandoned or illegally parked. Let her pay the fines.

You may want to edit out your 4 letter word at the end, even if it describes her properly. Some will find it offensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sorry for the car dude...but at least you caught her. Most people that get their car keyed are sol...btw, i would have loved to see her reaction to the video

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't have dropped the charges and I'd sure as hell sue her too.

Since you work at the place she parked at, I would also have called a tow company and had her crap boxes towed away as abandoned or illegally parked. Let her pay the fines.

You may want to edit out your 4 letter word at the end, even if it describes her properly. Some will find it offensive.
Sorry about that! I'll edit it right after the post.

I think calling the cops was the right move, other wise I was about to storm in her room and kick her out. I got to express my anger to her in words when the police arrived. That was pure comedy. She turns to the police officer and says, "Are you going to let him speak to me that way?"

He responds, "Ma'am, you just vandalized his vehicle, he can say whatever he wants as long as he doesn't put his hands on you."

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you do end up going to court her defense of not being able to control herself due to being on meds and alcohol should not hold up. In most states intoxication is not a defense to a criminal prosecution.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
damn.. glad you caught her man. hope the repairs turn out good. smh at people these days. bet she was surprised when the alarm sounded haha. do you have an alarm system installed?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn.. glad you caught her man. hope the repairs turn out good. smh at people these days. bet she was surprised when the alarm sounded haha. do you have an alarm system installed?
Yeah, some aftermarket alarm/car starter. I thought it was a POS until it went off, who knew it was so sensitive lol.

She actually turns around and flicks her keys to hide them when the alarm did go off haha.

She kept denying it even when we showed her the vid, but now she's acting normal and wants this to go away.

If I can get enough out of it, I will, other wise she will get sued.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,511 Posts
Did she know it was your car? I don't understand what makes some people mean like that? Meds and alcohol are not good enough. Why would someone do that?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Man, good for you! Kudos for handling this in a smart manner. Treat your brother to a good dinner, he nailed it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do loss prevention for best buy and nobody even thinks for a second there are cameras in the lot. It has helped numerous times to find out why or how something happened in crystal clear color.

Keep that camera running, you never know when you'll need it again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hope your car gets fixed soon :/ keying cars is so dumb and unnecessary. cameras ftw!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't drop the charges. Far too many people do this and don't get caught. You got lucky that you were able to catch her in the act more or less. Let her face the charges and pay for the damage as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't drop the charges. Far too many people do this and don't get caught. You got lucky that you were able to catch her in the act more or less. Let her face the charges and pay for the damage as well.
Yeah please don't drop the charged people like that indeed "NEED" to learn their lesson
my friend got his Miata keyed and he still couldn't find whoever keyed his car.

and make sure you go to court SUE every penny out for the repair.
Those old lady are living too good has nothing better to do.

Why you need to settle it outside the court
you got proof she did that. it's CLEARLY you are going to win in criminal or civil court.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Good to see the Karma Train at work.

She needs to pay to make it right.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I was unclear, did she target your car out of anger? Was it premeditated? Either way, there is no excuse for what she did. She knows right from wrong, yet intentionally damaged your property. That lady is a cowardly, disrespectful, ugly human being. Absolutely press charges! Make certain she knows there are consequences for her actions. A soft slap on wrist may not motivate her to change her behavior.

I don't mean to throw salt in an open wound, but your car will never look as good. Repaints never equal OEM factory paint jobs. (That's unless you take the paint down to the metal and pay for an insanely expensive paint job.) People like that social mutant make me sick!

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
Dude screw dropping the charges. You know how many of us with keyed cars WISH we were your position? Make her face up to what she did and take her to court and get your car fixed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts