Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if it's a good time for me to get an oil change. I've had my accord since May, I drive 90% city, lots of starts/stops. I might have only did 3k since May. Now the manual says, a oil change is recommended every 5k interval but after searching numerous topics on oil change here, some recommendations are every 6 months. Two months ago, a car mechanic checked out fluids and I was told my oil life is still good. Also I'm located in New York, during the past month it was really cold. Every time I start up the engine, I would have to hold the car key in ignition an extra few seconds for the engine to start up and it roars, sometimes it sounds like the engine has trouble turning over. Is this normal for the cold mornings? Am I due for an oil change also?

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
It kind of depends on your driving habits, etc. Sounds like your car could benefit. The only damage really you can get from changing your oil too often is to your wallet :)

I change mine out about every 3k miles or beginning of every summer or so since I store it for the fall/winter.

Coldness can affect the car in many ways, maybe someone can chime in with some specifics though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned quite a lot from this site, I wouldn't say I'm an agressive driver, try my best to not go past 2500 rpm. Numerous starts/stops of the car throughout the day though.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I too am a low mileage driver and I make sure to change my oil every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.
If I were you, I'd get it changed. couldn't hurt, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also is it recommended to go to a honda dealership? or will any reputable local mechanic car shop will do? The nearest honda dealership is a few hours away from me right now

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
I would like to know if it's a good time for me to get an oil change. I've had my accord since May, I drive 90% city, lots of starts/stops. I might have only did 3k since May. Now the manual says, a oil change is recommended every 5k interval but after searching numerous topics on oil change here, some recommendations are every 6 months. Two months ago, a car mechanic checked out fluids and I was told my oil life is still good. Also I'm located in New York, during the past month it was really cold. Every time I start up the engine, I would have to hold the car key in ignition an extra few seconds for the engine to start up and it roars, sometimes it sounds like the engine has trouble turning over. Is this normal for the cold mornings? Am I due for an oil change also?
Yes you are. Regardless of mileage, you should change it at least once every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
^ absolutely. There is no need to keep your rpm under 2500. Unless you're talking about that's what you do right after you start the car to warm it up.

Like another poster mentioned, I'd get the oil changed if it's been over 6months, regardless of the mileage.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
not go past 2500 rpm.
Ridiculous EXCEPT when the engine is cold. A dealership is not required for a simple oil change. Just make sure they use 5W20 and don't let them sell you unneeded services. Read here and learn or you will get screwed.........unfortunate but it happens all too often.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my ****ing god. The local mechanic shop I went to suggest that I use formula shell 10w 40 due to my high mileage... and that's what he used...

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Oh my ****ing god. The local mechanic shop I went to suggest that I use formula shell 10w 40 due to my high mileage... and that's what he used...
1st of all, you don't have high mileage. An Accord @ 90K is just getting broken in! :thmsup: 2nd of all, read the manual. It states 5W20. 5W30 is fine IMO too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I showed him my dam manual too.. He suggests for my "high" mileage I use 10w40 and because of the winter season too... I hope all is well:mad:

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
I showed him my dam manual too.. He suggests for my "high" mileage I use 10w40 and because of the winter season too... I hope all is well:mad:
Don't beat yourself up. I wouldn't worry. Just change it. I like to do all my own oil changes. I don't trust anyone. Even if/when they say they use a certain oil, I don't trust them to do so!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But my riding does seem smoother or is it just all in my head? Should I go to another shop to change it back to 5w 20?

WHY??

Honda engines absolutely love hi rpm. You're inventing a problem.
Ridiculous EXCEPT when the engine is cold. A dealership is not required for a simple oil change. Just make sure they use 5W20 and don't let them sell you unneeded services. Read here and learn or you will get screwed.........unfortunate but it happens all too often.
^ absolutely. There is no need to keep your rpm under 2500. Unless you're talking about that's what you do right after you start the car to warm it up.

Like another poster mentioned, I'd get the oil changed if it's been over 6months, regardless of the mileage.
Yeah I'm sorry for the misleading sentence, I meant to say instead of warming up my car in the mornings, I try my best to keep my 2500 rpm.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
But my riding does seem smoother or is it just all in my head? Should I go to another shop to change it back to 5w 20?
Probably just in your head. I use 5W30 because I think 5W20 is too thin. 10W40 is thicker. Is it really cold where you live? The reason I ask is because if it gets really cold, thicker oil is not the best move. Thicker oil doesn't flow as well when it is cold. I'm really surprised this "mechanic" recommended a thicker oil for colder weather ... If you live in the south, I'd just change back to 5W20 or 5W30 the next oil change. Otherwise, I'd change it now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Agreed. It's not catastrophic, you won't break anything. Your car just likes 5W-20 :)

Did you change the oil filter as well?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it does get really cold here, it can get close to zero's with wind chill. I got the oil filter and oil changed for $35

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Yes it does get really cold here, it can get close to zero's with wind chill. I got the oil filter and oil changed for $35
I'd go and buy 5 quarts of 5W20 for like $12. Just change the oil. Leave the filter.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Stupid mechanic and don't take it back to him. You can buy high mileage 5-20 oil about anywhere. Why would you want to increase viscosity in colder weather from 5 to 10 wt?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts