Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it only took 6 days of car ownership...very not happy, as one would assume, but at least I have a name and phone number. I definitely think an accident like this could have been worse, but at the same time it's probably more dinged up then your average parked car incident.

Almost all of the damage is contained in the one panel (in between the rear left wheel and the door). Sadly, the HFP was bent as well.

There is also some cosmetic damage on the edge of the door (sorry for the dirty car, but you can see some dings towards the top and some on that trim sticking out).

Finally, some scuffs on the part of the rim that was closest to the accident. Hopefully, since the accident started at the wheel, there aren't more major issues going on.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, my phone's camera isn't too great. I guess I'll be taking this in for a quote this afternoon. Any suggestions on how to handle this for a first-time car owner? Anything specific I should tell the mechanic to look at (i.e. the wheel alignment, since the tire was at least partially hit) or should they know to be thorough? If you have no advice, feel free to join me in misery :crying

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
Ouch :( I know you just bought the car too, sucks.

Atleast the person left their name and number for you. Tons of scum out there that would have just left the scene.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch :( I know you just bought the car too, sucks.

Atleast the person left their name and number for you. Tons of scum out there that would have just left the scene.
Yea, I tried very hard to contain any anger when I read the letter. I'd much rather that then nothing -- glad that there are good people in the world!

As an update: when I called the number this morning it went straight to voicemail. He just called back to swap information. So I have his insurance number and everything now...that gives me more peace of mind than a first name and a phone number that wouldn't pick up. He is calling his agent and I'm going to try to take it in for a quote today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That sucks, but good thing they left a note for you. That is the way to do it.

My wife was just driving our new Honda around and went to my kiddo's end-of-school awards ceremony and when she came out, she had the opposite kind of note... saying that someone supposedly saw her hit someone and to have our insurance call them. Um, no, that's what we call a SCAM.

You shouldn't have a whole lot of issue, but if you take it to a good, reputable body shop, they should know what to look at. Find out who your local dealer recommends for body work. They will look at and fix everything, even align if necessary. That's their job. You will have an insurance adjuster come out and look as well.

If the body shop gets into it and find it needs more work than what they originally thought, they will work it out with the insurance company.

The only caveat is that if the damage is less than their deductible, they may opt to just settle with you and give you cash/check to keep it off everyone's insurance. That's all well and good, but if they do this, you need to make sure you have some sort of agreement that if their is additional damage you can't see, you can have the additional stuff covered.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Awwww man that sucks and you just got that sweet ride too. Glad the contact information though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks, but good thing they left a note for you. That is the way to do it.

My wife was just driving our new Honda around and went to my kiddo's end-of-school awards ceremony and when she came out, she had the opposite kind of note... saying that someone supposedly saw her hit someone and to have our insurance call them. Um, no, that's what we call a SCAM.

You shouldn't have a whole lot of issue, but if you take it to a good, reputable body shop, they should know what to look at. Find out who your local dealer recommends for body work. They will look at and fix everything, even align if necessary. That's their job. You will have an insurance adjuster come out and look as well.

If the body shop gets into it and find it needs more work than what they originally thought, they will work it out with the insurance company.

The only caveat is that if the damage is less than their deductible, they may opt to just settle with you and give you cash/check to keep it off everyone's insurance. That's all well and good, but if they do this, you need to make sure you have some sort of agreement that if their is additional damage you can't see, you can have the additional stuff covered.
Yea, my mom had the cops show up accusing her of a hit and run for a very similar situation. Nothing came of it, because it was clearly a scam.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the final caveat will be an issue -- we just got off the phone and he said he was going to file a claim. Once he does that, it wouldn't be possible to just pay it under the table...right?

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Better than a letter that says "I'm just writing this letter to you to make it look like I am leaving my contact information." That way no one questions them driving away.

Good luck with the repair man.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OP,
If the other guy is filing a claim, you need to report it to your insurance company. Since he is going the official route, you need your insurance company involved. Document everything you can, take pictures of your damage, where, when and write down all the particulars as you remember them, just in case your company needs this info.

PS...Sorry about the damage on your brand new car!!!

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Don't forget to file a police report.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP,
If the other guy is filing a claim, you need to report it to your insurance company. Since he is going the official route, you need your insurance company involved. Document everything you can, take pictures of your damage, where, when and write down all the particulars as you remember them, just in case your company needs this info.

PS...Sorry about the damage on your brand new car!!!
Already did! I feel much better about going down the insurance route. State Farm, his insurer, called and accepted full liability and Geico, my insurer, closed my no-fault claim for records purposes. Already took pictures and explained the damage to both parties.

Don't forget to file a police report.
Do I need to do this if I have all the information and the claims process went through insurance flawlessly? I would have filed this ASAP if I didn't have a note or if he was unresponsive when I tried to contact him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update: the auto body repair recommended by my local Honda dealer is on the approved list by State Farm. I shouldn't even need to deal with getting a quote from a claims adjuster -- sounds like I can just take drop it off at the shop and get repairs and a rental car directly paid for by State Farm.

Hopefully this is a headache coming to an end and there are no further road bumps...will post after pictures!

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Do I need to do this if I have all the information and the claims process went through insurance flawlessly? I would have filed this ASAP if I didn't have a note or if he was unresponsive when I tried to contact him.
Depends on the laws in your state/province. Check what responsibilities you have for accident reporting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd call your insurance company and get their input just to be safe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bringing my car in to the auto body shop tomorrow morning to get an approved State Farm estimate and then exchanging it for a rental car next Monday. I'll let you guys know what the damages were and take some pictures of a shiny/fixed Accord when I get it back :smile

Depends on the laws in your state/province. Check what responsibilities you have for accident reporting.
Looks like Missouri only requires an accident report be filed if it involved an uninsured motorist, so I should be good to go. Thanks for making me aware of the fact that this could be a mandatory step in some states.

I'd call your insurance company and get their input just to be safe.
I guess I'll do this just to be on the safe side.

Attachments

·
HK Moderator
13,911 Posts
Now would be a good time to update your user CP info by adding in your location. Look on the left of this post...see my location?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geico claimed that the MO DMV requires accidents to be reported if damages exceed $1,000. We'll see what happens; my uneducated guess is that I will be within $500-1,500...

Kind of weird, though. I need to look up some more sources since that isn't what I read online.

Now would be a good time to update your user CP info by adding in your location. Look on the left of this post...see my location?
Done, I almost did that when I first joined but wasn't sure if I'd be buying the Accord and sticking around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another piece of good news I just realized. I have two inspections from different mechanics (one pre-purchase inspection done in Illinois and one state certified inspection done in Missouri for registering the car) in the past two weeks. If there are any mechanical issues that State Farm tries to avoid paying for repairs, that should help my case. Hopefully it's purely body work, though.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
That's more than $1k worth of damage IMO. Body work adds up fast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's more than $1k worth of damage IMO. Body work adds up fast.
Yea, wouldn't be surprised. The more I read, the more it sounds like Missouri only requires accident reports when uninsured motorists were involved. So I think the answer I got from Geico was outdated or generic...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts