Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
its been a year now since owning a honda accord 2007 4cyl , automatic 178 000 km
i bought it last year for 3200$ CAD (158 000 km)
This year i spent over 2200$ on maintenance \repairs

-3 oil changes(every 7000 km)
  • sparkplugs (at mechanic)
  • cabin+engine filter
  • transmission 3 x drain and fill (at honda shop)
  • 2 front control arm bushing (repair)(at mechanic)
  • 35 battery upgrade+V6 parts
  • new starter+gasket (repair) (at mechanic)
  • O2 sensor upstream+downstream (repair) (at mechanic)
  • surpentine belt (at mechanic)
  • brake fluide drain and fill (at honda shop)
  • knock sensor (repair)(at mechanic)
  • new air intake (repair)(at mechanic)

Are there anymore maintenance things i need to do?
the reason why I bought this car is its history its been maintained at a honda dealer twice a year i have the receits from 2015 to 2020 and the carfax was very clean and shows that its been maintained regularly before 2015 as well.Im a bit surprised that i had to spend this much on it this year.

except for the belt\ battery and starter i only went with oem parts or denso.

Gearhead Girl 馃
Many of the things in your list are repairs, which should be good for a while. You may even have a warranty on the work, depending on where you had it done. On your gen, I believe the transmission fluid is every 30k, so that should also be good for a while. Brake fluid will be due again in 3 years, regardless of mileage accrued. However, being in Canada, you should probably check your owner's manual to see if you fall into "severe conditions", in which case your maintenance schedule will be sped up a bit.

Sometimes, when someone has decided to sell their car, they'll stop putting money and effort into it, and that leaves the new owner with a list of things to tackle soon after acquiring the car. It looks like that may be what happened here.

To answer your question simply, no, you should not expect this kind of bill again for a while. I'd also check to see how old your coolant is and see if it's time to have that changed as per your owner's manual. If the 7th gen is anything like my 8th gen, there may also be a sticker inside the hood to tell you when you should be changing that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of the things in your list are repairs, which should be good for a while. You may even have a warranty on the work, depending on where you had it done. On your gen, I believe the transmission fluid is every 30k, so that should also be good for a while. Brake fluid will be due again in 3 years, regardless of mileage accrued. However, being in Canada, you should probably check your owner's manual to see if you fall into "severe conditions", in which case your maintenance schedule will be sped up a bit.

Sometimes, when someone has decided to sell their car, they'll stop putting money and effort into it, and that leaves the new owner with a list of things to tackle soon after acquiring the car. It looks like that may be what happened here.

To answer your question simply, no, you should not expect this kind of bill again for a while. I'd also check to see how old your coolant is and see if it's time to have that changed as per your owner's manual. If the 7th gen is anything like my 8th gen, there may also be a sticker inside the hood to tell you when you should be changing that.
I checked the coolant today at honda no leaks and the coolant quality is still good they topped it off. hopefully this upcoming year the bill wil be lower. i plan on doing a valve adjustment, change front disks, new engine filter at the end of next year.i thought about replacing power steering fluid but honda shop told me its unecessary.

Registered
If you want to save on brakes, check out MAXX brakes. Good brakes for very cheap!

Pilot without a plane
Shop labor costs are expensive. It doesn't take long for things to add up when you're being charged $125-150/hr for labor plus shops mark up their parts and make money there too.

Your list is a lot of normal MX items - spark plugs, filters, fluid changes, etc. A couple of "others" but nothing major. I enjoy fixing what I can on our cars, but it saves money too.

Here's a current example on my car:
My clutch pedal started feeling mushy on Sunday. I ordered a new master cyl from Rockauto for about $40. Won't get my hands on it til Fri or Sat. It completely failed Monday so I sent it to the shop because I have a situation developing where I can't wait on the car being down for the week. My shop bill was $309 for this. It's a job I can do, but needed the car now.

I'm saying don't think your Honda is a lemon or money pit. It's a function of paying shop fees for work. If you want to learn and get some basic tools, you can save quite a bit of money.

8th Gen Believer
^^ This. Previous owner(s) skimped on regular maintenance, pure & simple. It's a 14-yr old car with moderately high mileage and you played catch-up. Having lived in Kingston, I'd suggest you get an undercar pressure wash regularly in winter. Otherwise, enjoy your ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ This. Previous owner(s) skimped on regular maintenance, pure & simple. It's a 14-yr old car with moderately high mileage and you played catch-up. Having lived in Kingston, I'd suggest you get an undercar pressure wash regularly in winter. Otherwise, enjoy your ride.
i inspected the car at purchase only thing needing repair was right front bushing the owner had the car services at honda twice a year. Other than the right bushing the car had no codes and was well maintained (with all receits available). Most the repairs like the starter crank sensor o2 sensor issues happened during the last 2 months.

Shop labor costs are expensive. It doesn't take long for things to add up when you're being charged $125-150/hr for labor plus shops mark up their parts and make money there too.

Your list is a lot of normal MX items - spark plugs, filters, fluid changes, etc. A couple of "others" but nothing major. I enjoy fixing what I can on our cars, but it saves money too.

My clutch pedal started feeling mushy on Sunday. I ordered a new master cyl from Rockauto for about $40. Won't get my hands on it til Fri or Sat. It completely failed Monday so I sent it to the shop because I have a situation developing where I can't wait on the car being down for the week. My shop bill was $309 for this. It's a job I can do, but needed the car now.

I'm saying don't think your Honda is a lemon or money pit. It's a function of paying shop fees for work. If you want to learn and get some basic tools, you can save quite a bit of money.
how much you spend on maintenance yearly on average?

i agree before changing the O2 sensor a mechanic quoted me 600$ for the 2 sensors. I found the exact same ones(denso) at amazon for 200$ si ordered them and payed another mechanic 80$ to install them for me.

Pilot without a plane
I'm probably a bad one to ask. I put the equivalent of 10 years worth of driving on my car last year (147k miles in 2020). My annual MX costs are higher than most - 10 oil changes, 2 sets of tires, a timing belt or two, transmission fluid, spark plugs, etc and then whatever repairs are needed.

Registered
It鈥檚 a 14-ish year old car at this point with, what, about 110,000 miles? Stuff is going to wear out over time. There is nothing on your list that would have me hitting the panic button. You鈥檝e got the 2.4-liter K-series engine from the 7th gen, which is so bullet-proof that I鈥檓 pretty sure one could survive a near miss from a nuclear-tipped cruise missile. The 3x drain-and-fill was a great call for that transmission, too.

I agree with @Ash051 , I have a hard time envisioning constant repair bills from that car. You鈥檝e paid money to put right what was probably neglected by the previous owner, and assuming the rest of the car looks good, I would think you are good to go. I would budget some money each year for stuff wearing out - ball joints, struts, blower motors, etc. You鈥檙e going to have to replace wear-and-tear stuff on your car. My 2012 coupe has 176k miles on it, and it鈥檚 been the most reliable car I鈥檝e ever owned, but it has still needed repairs and upkeep to get it there. Yet even when it has needed the most work, the cost has never approached what I鈥檇 be spending annually on a new or gently used car.

@TX Accord offers a lot of good suggestions, and his one about learning to do your own work is a great idea. His 2003 Accord is also a great testament to how well the 7th gen was built (as well as the importance of a careful owner that both drives the snot out of his car but also maintains it to a high level).

That said, if for some reason you can鈥檛 do your own work, it would be good to find a reliable shop that charges reasonable rates. I have a good local independent mechanic as well as a dealership I trust (I know, no one has probably uttered those words in the history of the world before, but here we are). Their rates are comparable with each other, and I can trust that the job will be done right at both places, and I won鈥檛 be upsold on stuff I don鈥檛 need.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It鈥檚 a 14-ish year old car at this point with, what about 110,000 miles? Stuff is going to wear out over time. There is nothing on your list that would have me hitting the panic button. You鈥檝e got the 2.4-liter K-series engine from the 7th gen, which is so bullet-proof that I鈥檓 pretty sure one could survive a near miss from a nuclear-tipped cruise missile. The 3x drain-and-fill was a great call for that transmission, too.

I agree with @Ash051 , I have a hard time envisioning constant repair bills from that car. You鈥檝e paid money to put right what was probably neglected by the previous owner, and assuming the rest of the car looks good, I would think you are good to go. I would budget some money each year for stuff wearing out - ball joints, struts, blower motors, etc. You鈥檙e going to have to replace wear-and-tear stuff on your car. My 2012 coupe has 176k on it, and it鈥檚 been the most reliable car I鈥檝e ever owned, but it has still needed repairs and upkeep to get it there. Yet even when it has needed the most work, the cost has never approached what I鈥檇 be spending annually on a new or gently used car.

@TX Accord offers a lot of good suggestions, and his one about learning to do your own work is a great idea. His 2003 Accord is also a great testament to how well the 7th gen was built (as well as the importance of a careful owner that both drives the snot out of his car but also maintains it to a high level).

That said, if for some reason you can鈥檛 do your own work, it would be good to find a reliable shop that charges reasonable rates. I have a good local independent mechanic as well as a dealership I trust (I know, no one has probably uttered those words in the history of the world before, but here we are). Their rates are comparable with each other, and I can trust that the job will be done right at both places, and I won鈥檛 be upsold on stuff I don鈥檛 need.
thank you for taking the time to write this answer! im slowely learning about doing small jobs myself i just need more confidance.it is hard to find a mechanic who s good /honnest/cheap.

i was on ther verge of selling the car and getting a newer model but with this pandemic car prices are through the roof thats why i hope to keep this car till it dies and keep taking care of it .

Registered
i was on ther verge of selling the car and getting a newer model but with this pandemic car prices are through the roof thats why i hope to keep this car till it dies and keep taking care of it .
I mean, it's your money, but after sinking nearly $2000 USD into your car, now is the time to just drive it and enjoy it. I suppose you could sell it and get something else, but if you're buying used again, there is no guarantee the next car won't also need money to get it up to snuff, especially if you are limited to a certain price point at purchase.

What have the mechanic and the Honda shop told you about your car? Do they fix one thing and come back with a list of ten more problems, or have they said it looks solid to them and just needs the work you listed above?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean, it's your money, but after sinking nearly $2000 USD into your car, now is the time to just drive it and enjoy it. I suppose you could sell it and get something else, but if you're buying used again, there is no guarantee the next car won't also need money to get it up to snuff, especially if you are limited to a certain price point at purchase.

What have the mechanic and the Honda shop told you about your car? Do they fix one thing and come back with a list of ten more problems, or have they said it looks solid to them and just needs the work you listed above?
yes i know plus getting a newer model will have cost me more just with car payments and insurance ( i pay 23$ a month for my car rn)

the honda mechanic i go to is very honnest and good, its just expensive(120$/h) so i only go to him when i need complicated work and for fluid changes. today for exemple he inspected my car's cooling system if there are any leaks and the quality of the liquid he said everything is good and only topped it off.

i have a blue driver obd which helps me keeps my car in check and it also saved me a lot of money in diagnosis time.

Registered
I've got an 07 with 147k give or take. In the last year I've done the PS o ring, PS fluid, PS reservoir, oil changes, tranny drain and fill, new mirror, and speakers. Water pump and spark plugs too if I go out a couple extra months. I've done it all myself so the cost was around 200-400 bucks or so. You can DIY a lot of it if you just watch some you tube vids for most stuff. And the more you do, the more confident you will get with it. I spent about 750 on suspension parts and assorted stuff on our 06 Pilot this year too. DIY'd it as well. It would have been several grand in a shop. YouTube and the forums are invaluable for learning to do it yourself and save a ton of $$!

Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
Nope. It won鈥檛 cost that much each year.

I have an 鈥07 V6. It鈥檚 at 200k miles and is due for a timing belt service with all the related concurrent items, about $2k at the dealer.

In 150k miles it got oil changes and tire rotations at 5-7k mile intervals so about 25 of those at $30 each, brake pads at about 80k mile intervals so 2 full sets of those at about $80 a full set, tires at about 40k mile intervals so about 4 of those at about $600 - $800 per set. Engine and cabin air filters at about 40k mile intervals so about 4 sets of those at about $40 per set. One 3x3 trans drain and fill at about $70. A few headlight bulbs to the tune of maybe $50. Probably two batteries at about $85 each. I did all of the maintenance above myself. One timing belt and related items at the dealer for about $1600. No unscheduled maintenance that I recall. That鈥檚 over a period of 9 years.

150k miles and 9 years for about $5800. That鈥檚 less than $650 per year average maintenance cost, or less than $400 per 10k miles average maintenance cost. I鈥檓 good with that. If I鈥檇 paid myself $100 an hour it would have been an additional $3500 or so. Not to mention all the time I saved driving to a shop and waiting for the work to be done (likely poorly some times).

07 Sdn
My car, same year/color as yours, is 148k miles and ive done basically the same thing you have done. Only difference is I got this car certified pre owned when it was 35k miles and these things are only just coming due. Transmission drain and fill is next and I only did the rear O2 sensor not the front, but apart from that everything you did I have done in the last 2 years. I did it all myself except for the lower control arms, those were a pain because the compliance bushing bolts were stuck (notoriously), so off to the shop I went. I also just tackled the engine mounts, upper tranmission mount and rear engine mount is next.

Almost got rid of the car 3 years ago and that would have meant a new owner like you getting to do all that, oh wait :) ;)

Registered
its been a year now since owning a honda accord 2007 4cyl , automatic 178 000 km

• cabin+engine filter

the reason why I bought this car is its history its been maintained at a honda dealer twice a year i have the receits from 2015 to 2020 and the carfax was very clean and shows that its been maintained regularly before 2015 as well.Im a bit surprised that i had to spend this much on it this year.

Here's the hard facts:
You bought a 13 year old car w/110K miles, and you either DIY or learn to do some of those items you listed to save at last $1500...or, you pay the man.

You cannot says it's a lot of money, because if you owned any other brand car, it would probably be even more, all things equal. And, if it was a V6 you be doing the timing belt service.

Registered
2013 Touring 6 spd MT

• cabin+engine filter

A lot of the items you listed can be done yourself as a DIY. Why transmission drain x 3?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of the items you listed can be done yourself as a DIY. Why transmission drain x 3?
because its what honda recommends. its less risky than using a pressure cleaner.

Here's the hard facts:
You bought a 13 year old car w/110K miles, and you either DIY or learn to do some of those items you listed to save at last $1500...or, you pay the man.

You cannot says it's a lot of money, because if you owned any other brand car, it would probably be even more, all things equal. And, if it was a V6 you be doing the timing belt service.
Not necessarely i used to own a toyota and during the last 6 years of its life before getting totaled ive spent less than 500$ on it.when i bought the accord it had less than 100k miles and was (still is in immaculate shape) but stuff breakdown way faster than a toyota. if we re talking german thats a whole different ball game.

My car, same year/color as yours, is 148k miles and ive done basically the same thing you have done. Only difference is I got this car certified pre owned when it was 35k miles and these things are only just coming due. Transmission drain and fill is next and I only did the rear O2 sensor not the front, but apart from that everything you did I have done in the last 2 years. I did it all myself except for the lower control arms, those were a pain because the compliance bushing bolts were stuck (notoriously), so off to the shop I went. I also just tackled the engine mounts, upper tranmission mount and rear engine mount is next.

Almost got rid of the car 3 years ago and that would have meant a new owner like you getting to do all that, oh wait :) ;)
did u go OEM with the engine mounts?
if not how are they holding up?

Registered
Those repairs you made are about $500 in parts. I bet you paid $2000 or more total right?

If you learn to DIYA your repairs would have been $500. I bought an 03 and spent $1000 in parts (including tires) in the first few months. The car drove like new after that. If you keep taking your car to a mechanic for your repairs it will always be costly.

For instance, that Power Steering drain and fill would have cost you $15-20 in fluid. I bet the dealer charged you $169. Am I right?

Drain and fill 3 times replaces most (80-90%) of the fluid. You can do it 4x if you'd like and replace a tad more but the 3x gets plenty. I do mine every 20,000 miles.

Registered
Not necessarely i used to own a toyota and during the last 6 years of its life before getting totaled ive spent less than 500$ on it.when i bought the accord it had less than 100k miles and was (still is in immaculate shape) but stuff breakdown way faster than a toyota. if we re talking german thats a whole different ball game.
We all have what's referred to as "selective amnesia"...so, if you have total recall, you're most likely a Cyborg from the future....
As for your last comment, I've spent far less than what you're saying on any of all of my cars I've owned, including German cars, in that same time period.

Many people like to say "yeah, these Accords are just grocery getters"....
Ya wanna a boring grocery getter?? Get a Camry.
If you want something even more reliable and even more boring, get a Prius!

I had a Camry in that same period and it was so boring to drive.
If your only goal is reliability, sure, go for the Camry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts