Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a Honda accord 2015 ex. I rear ended a SUV Lexus and surprisingly Lexus had no damage at all and my car had hood bent, Radiator support rail bent, Both headlight casing broke, Grille broke and Front bumper had some damage. My car's hood seems to be stuck for some reason after collision. Can some one help me with how I can get it open?

·
Super Moderator
3,429 Posts
You'll need a pry bar to force it open. It's stuck because the release mechanism got messed up in all that damage.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Why not just break the grille and either unbolt the latch or cut through it. Firefighters usually cut a square around the latch area and lift the hood up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not just break the grille and either unbolt the latch or cut through it. Firefighters usually cut a square around the latch area and lift the hood up.
Grill is already broken and I was able to remove it completely. I have to look for the bolts for latch.

·
...and Pearl was her name...
2020 Accord Hybrid Touring pearl white
63 Posts
This will sound funny, but carefully try sitting on it.

Honestly you are probably best to leave it till it is at a body shop. Once opened it will not close again and may hinder towing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Honestly you are probably best to leave it till it is at a body shop. Once opened it will not close again and may hinder towing it.
Well, I am planning to get a new hood from Junkyard or used car lot, since repairing this is gonna be too much. But to your point, is there any other locking mechanism or something else that can keep it from opening? I have tried pulling it out with force but I couldn't get it open!

·
Turbo lag
1,511 Posts
Well, I am planning to get a new hood from Junkyard or used car lot, since repairing this is gonna be too much. But to your point, is there any other locking mechanism or something else that can keep it from opening? I have tried pulling it out with force but I couldn't get it open!
Unless you are an experienced welder, leave it to the professionals. You'll need new rad support, and maybe even the upper crash structure. Repairing it yourself ain;t gonna be cheap either. All the body parts alone can easily reach $2000+ even from a used parts place.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
229 Posts
People like to disconnect the battery to prevent fire.

And to assess the damages.
Definitely a good idea. In my case when I wrecked my Accord, there was no battery to worry about. I could see most of the front of the engine bay, and there was no battery in sight. I assume it got crushed. There was no electrical power to the car either, seeing as my fob wasn't working and none of the power locks were engaging.

·
63 Posts
It is all bound up. You have to cut open the hood. That takes tools which mostly shops have. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well this worked. I was able to open the hood after sitting on it and then pulling it outwards and up. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
63 Posts
If you only knew how many hoods I’ve sat on during 34 years of auto claims. 8 out of 10 probably opened for me.

Reactions: Cepega

·
cvt - NOT
1,240 Posts
Do you only have liability insurance on the car?

·
63 Posts
I think there is no collision coverage. Please tell me you at least have “LIABILITY “ coverage for your at fault accident you are in?

Is your state a “NO FAULT “ state? Each person carries there own coverage and you screw yourself if you are uninsured.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
249 Posts
Looks like both of the front fenders got modified as well? I see some customization visible near the upper corners of the hood near the mirrors. I’m guessing the car is slightly shorter (and wider) now?

What’s up with the license plate frame? Is it intended to be a low speed bumper to bumper protector?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Looks like both of the front fenders got modified as well? I see some customization visible near the upper corners of the hood near the mirrors. I’m guessing the car is slightly shorter (and wider) now?

What’s up with the license plate frame? Is it intended to be a low speed bumper to bumper protector?
That's a parallel parking bumper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts