Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it warms up, I find that my Accord Hybrid is treating me well. Here is a screen shot from a trip driving 40 miles each way today. Roads were very slick after a wet snowfall. Everyone was going about 40 miles an hour! Temps were in the mid 30s F and I had the heater set to 65F, fan on lowest speed.

Text Blue Font Light Screenshot

This was from yesterday. Shows how the vehicle has been performing so far. Low temps, high temperature heater setting and highway driving will make your Honda Accord Hybrid's ICE work very hard and return mileage numbers worse than a regular Accord's

Electronics Display device Multimedia Electronic device Technology

With that being said. I still love my Hybrid and plan on keeping it for a very long time!!!

7,000 miles on the clock and it runs just like on day 1!!:nuts:

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's Hybrid and its average mpg is around 22.1 - 23.2 ? Is it just me or something is wrong here?

My I4 has over 10k miles and I average about 30-33 mpg every tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The historical mileage is very low even for a non-hybrid. How fast do you normally drive? What have temps been?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The historical mileage is very low even for a non-hybrid. How fast do you normally drive? What have temps been?
It's been in the low teens and below zero for most of its life. Right now we have been in the forties and I consistently get above 30 mpg. In fact when it snows and traffic is crawling I get above 40mpg. I now have my cabin temp set at about 70F most of the time as opposed to the 85F where it spent most of December and January.
I love the car and as temperatures are rising I see spectacular gains in mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have your heater set at 85F, your ICE is probably running all the time. I would not expect very good gas mileage. Sounds like weather conditions for you are similar to mine. I set my temp on 65F and consistently get between 40 - 44 on the highway. When temps rise above 30F I can easily get 48mpg.

It's been in the low teens and below zero for most of its life. Right now we have been in the forties and I consistently get above 30 mpg. In fact when it snows and traffic is crawling I get above 40mpg. I now have my cabin temp set at about 70F most of the time as opposed to the 85F where it spent most of December and January.
I love the car and as temperatures are rising I see spectacular gains in mileage.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
85F? Do you drive with your Hawaiian shirt, short shorts and flip flops in the winter? I would definitely have hot flashes at that temperature.

I don't understand this fully. So, to summarize, if you drive at regular highway speed of say 70, Hybrid's mpg would be way worse than that of V-6 Accord (second pix)?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Post up your fillups on www.fuelly.com

I've seen the aggregate avg. around 36 MPG for all 14 Accord hybrids last time I checked. That's not very good. Needs to go way up.

Some people should be hitting near EPA. Someone has one here in Bay Area, or LA, San Diego, etc...

It's been 50 to 60 something in SF Bay Area and I'm getting over 50 on every tank (Prius). Too bad is sorta drives like A**.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you have your heat set at 85F you are basically driving a non-hybrid accord. I'm pretty shocked that your numbers are so low. The absolute worst MPG I get on a short trip of less than 5 miles at zero degrees is about 35 MPG. Do you let your car warm up in the morning or something? I was disappointed when I was getting just around 40 MPG. If I was getting the numbers you posted I would be pissed. My 06 Accord I4 averaged 30 MPG. Even in the winter it would get about 27 in town.

I typically only use my heat when its below freezing as the heated seats keep me plenty warm. In the tests I've done it results in about a 5 MPG jump on a 10 mile trip. The decrease in MPG in cold weather is less of a factor the longer your drive.

With that said, this week has been the first week with several warm days in a row. I filled up Tuesday and my last tank over almost 30 days was 41.7 with a decent amount of cold weather. I'm at about 53 MPG over about 50 miles since I refueled. The last three days I've seen about 45 MPG on my morning commute with temps near freezing and 60-63 MPG on my evening commute with temps 40-60 degrees. The magic temperature for reaching EPA numbers seems to be about 40 degrees. Based on these numbers I would expect to average about 60 MPG once spring hits.

Here is my Fuelly log for my Hybrid LaFawnDuh...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/stlhonda/accord-2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post up your fillups on www.fuelly.com

I've seen the aggregate avg. around 36 MPG for all 14 Accord hybrids last time I checked. That's not very good. Needs to go way up.

Some people should be hitting near EPA. Someone has one here in Bay Area, or LA, San Diego, etc...

It's been 50 to 60 something in SF Bay Area and I'm getting over 50 on every tank (Prius). Too bad is sorta drives like A**.

Here is my Honda Accord Hybrid on Fuelly....

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/abiez/accord

:thmsup:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've averaged 42.3 mpg and 42.2 mpg on my first two tanks of combined city and highway driving with my hybird. Ive gotten as high as 66.7 mpg when running errands in town. I usually hover at 53-56 mpg most of the time.

I can deal with a little less mileage than a Prius because I'm not driving a Prius!

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
I've averaged 42.3 mpg and 42.2 mpg on my first two tanks of combined city and highway driving with my hybird. Ive gotten as high as 66.7 mpg when running errands in town. I usually hover at 53-56 mpg most of the time.
Doesn't really help if you don't post which city you are in....

The whole discussion on this thread has been about how outside temps affect mileage numbers. So you live where?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts