Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a backup camera to my Navi system. I found out that the Navi in my car has a port on the back that can be used to connect a camera. When you put the car in reverse, the image shows up on the Navi screen. I folled the instructions on this thread to make the wiring harness:

http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348427

This is the port location on back of DVD Rom unit:

I used an old RCA cable and some parts from Frys to make a cable similar to this (You can find the part #'s in the thread above):

I bought this camera from eBay for $58 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300391032953

Here's the end result:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Nicely done. I think that port is only available on the 2006 and later DVD-ROM drives that use the White DVD.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
HOLY SH** that is awesome. this will work on my 2006 4 cylinder navi right? its not the "premium audio system" that your v6 6mt has

few questions:
1. Does the backup camera bolt on using existing screws on the license plate lights?
2. How well can the camera see at night?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Premium Audio has nothing to do with it. It will work because you have the same DVD-ROM drive, all you have to do is make the custom harness. Look on the back of your DVD-ROM drive and you should have the same unoccupied 7-pin port.

·
The taste of Vtec!
941 Posts
Looks really nice!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
ok i REALLY want this mod and i wanna do it asap. what i will need is: the molex connector from frys for $2.85, the ebay backup camera, and a spare rca video cable? Does the ebay backup camera have enough length to reach from trunk to behind the navi?

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i REALLY want this mod and i wanna do it asap. what i will need is: the molex connector from frys for $2.85, the ebay backup camera, and a spare rca video cable? Does the ebay backup camera have enough length to reach from trunk to behind the navi?

The Camera + the 6 ft. RCA cable I used had more than enough length. It's optional, but i also used about 5 feet of wire loom. One thing I didn't mention, is I used the power from the backup lights to turn the camera on.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicely done. I think that port is only available on the 2006 and later DVD-ROM drives that use the White DVD.
I think you may be right. That was, I think, the first year they offered the backup camera on Navi equipped Pilots, and I believe the Accord and Pilot share the same Navi unit.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The Camera + the 6 ft. RCA cable I used had more than enough length. It's optional, but i also used about 5 feet of wire loom. One thing I didn't mention, is I used the power from the backup lights to turn the camera on.
why the wire loom? on which part of it? so i will need to splice into the reverse lights wiring? just 1 side right? and how well does it see at night?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
this is a great mod that the Accord navi should have come with originally. I'd love to do this if I ever get the cash for an OEM nav.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i just looked at the audiovox camera specs, it looks like the power connections are at the end of the wire along with the rca input. did you tap into the reverse light somewhere behind the dash, or did you modify the wiring that came with the camera so you can tap into the reverse light right at the trunk?

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HOLY SH** that is awesome. this will work on my 2006 4 cylinder navi right? its not the "premium audio system" that your v6 6mt has

few questions:
1. Does the backup camera bolt on using existing screws on the license plate lights?
2. How well can the camera see at night?
1. No. I had to drill.

2. Not bad. The backup lights provide some illumination.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why the wire loom? on which part of it? so i will need to splice into the reverse lights wiring? just 1 side right? and how well does it see at night?
I used the wire loom for a nice, more professional looking installation to cover the bare wires in the trunk area.

I tapped into the one of the reverse lights on the trunk. Just one side.

Night illumination is not bad.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ OP, the harness from frys should have came with 3 of them. Any chance I could buy 1 off you?
I ended up buying an 8 pin molex connector since they were out of 6 pins. I used an exacto knife to cut one of them off to make 7. I have one left. I can send you one of those. Just PM me your address.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just looked at the audiovox camera specs, it looks like the power connections are at the end of the wire along with the rca input. did you tap into the reverse light somewhere behind the dash, or did you modify the wiring that came with the camera so you can tap into the reverse light right at the trunk?
The camera is designed to tap into the light on the trunk. I tapped into the driver's side reverse light on the trunk. The camera comes with the taps.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
regardless of how useful this backup camera is, i think its a great add-on. sometimes, little features really set your car apart. mercedes cars dont NEED nightvision, but they have it anyways to be better than others.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'd find it useful, especially parallel parking in a tight spot. The rear trunk is high, so I usually have to guess how far back to go until I can stop. backup camera would help tons.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd find it useful, especially parallel parking in a tight spot. The rear trunk is high, so I usually have to guess how far back to go until I can stop. backup camera would help tons.
I have my camera aimed down a bit, so that I can see my bumper on the lower edge of the navi screen, as well as everything behind me. I really don't need to see the sky while backing up, and I find that having the bumper line as a reference really helps for estimating how far I really am from walls, posts, other cars, etc. I can usually get within 1 or 2 inches of objects behind me without worrying about hitting anything -- or anyone. :)

By the way, the camera is also great for backing up at night or any place where it's dark. Its low-light sensitivity (aided by the Accord's generous reverse lights) allows me to see a lot more than I normally can through my tinted rear window.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 135 Posts