Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

my new intake *PICS*

41K views 188 replies 56 participants last post by  gunmetal 
#1 ·
Did it this way, works outs really well for me. Sounds nice too. on 2.4L I4. Under $40.
Edit:also installed on 03 accord v6 coupe, 04 acura tsx, (maf sensor mount was not needed for both.) Caution: may not work with some cars.
Maf sensor mount links :http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=SCT&MfrPartNumber=8705
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-8705-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1227192464&sr=8-1
Any intake desired can be purchased.

I HAVE NO SCREW BUT, CAN DRILL A SCREW FOR SECOND HOLE AND TAPE IF YOU WANT SO IT HOLDS DOWN WITH NO LEAKS LIKE SHOWN BELOW..

See less See more
#3 ·
yea best way, at least for me :banana:

#4 ·
what exactly did you do? i am kinda new to tuning haha
from what i can see you removed the original intake box and replaced it with a head end of a intake??

#5 ·
yea pretty much, i got an attachment for the sensor to mount it there. then yea cold air intake

#7 ·
yes, you can usually buy at any auto parts store like auto zone, i got mine from murrays.

#8 ·
nice i was thinking about doing this, its pretty simple. did you have to buy a new maf sensor block or just use oem?

#10 ·
I just used the oem maf. hmm, im guessing when i take my car in for service, i have to put back oem filter?warrenty?:dunno: to be on the safe side i guess i will..

#12 ·
lol yea bro the first time i went crazy, sounds sick under a tunnel or bridge. But i don't have to punch it as much though to hear it. even if i gun it a bit i hear it kick in, kind of.

#13 ·
i saw from another thread that AEM has a CAI coming out for the V6 ... my question is.. is that the AEM v2? or are there different kinds of AEM CAI?

#16 ·
aem v2 isnt always a CAI, a v2 is a V2. its suppose to be the best of CAI and SRI.
So this is a Cold Air intake. What makes it Cold? Aren't you sucking in air from the engine compartment? So how is that cold as opposed to OEM?
this is a short ram.

#14 ·
So this is a Cold Air intake. What makes it Cold? Aren't you sucking in air from the engine compartment? So how is that cold as opposed to OEM?

#25 ·
I didn't just get this due to the sound it makes, but also i felt better acceleration and my gas millage is slightly better then before with the oem. For now i'm sticking with this method of doing it. The whole intake system is not it my budget right now, im sure its better but hey, this ain't that bad after all.

A cold air intake is a device used to bring down the temperature of the air going into a car's internal-combustion engine, to increase engine power. Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by introducing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. However, the term "cold air intake" is often used to describe other methods of increasing oxygen to an engine, which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine.

#15 ·
What brand of intake? I'm looking to get do some mods to my car but am having A LOT of trouble finding any performance add ons. Especially for the I4.

#17 ·
nice hot air intake...sure it sounds sweet though

#19 ·
wondering why you would do this when RAM intakes and cai are out or coming out... ? also what if any are the ramifications re: warranty its not aftermarket but you are completely, altering the OEM Part....

#20 ·
i going to guess its because its cheaper, at least by 200 dollars and i think he only wanted the sound which i believe he is happy with

#21 ·
yes but at the cost of immediately voiding the warranty? My understanding is that the "aftermarket law" I forget the name and call it M&M applies to aftermarket parts not altering and bastardizing an oem part to adapt.. I mean to each his own... but if its about the sound.. hey Its your car... But before many other follow suit Id look into the warranty contingencies....

#27 ·
I have two accords with CAI and I have always went to the dealer with them on, they haven't as of yet said a word, and its been over 6 years for the 2000 and 98 accord even when they were in warranty. I have also been to different dealers (5) and none have said a word. Call me lucky i guess

#28 ·
That's a good thing :). Have you had any issues that would require the dealer to think the air intake would of caused the problem?

#35 ·
probably is:dunno:

#36 ·
hey 1-VT3C: How does your Honda sound now, I know you said it sounded different & you liked the change--
If you didn't change the exhaust, how'd the sound change, I'm wondering..??
I really LIKE what you did & might do the same...Did your PERFORMANCE change?

THANKYou...

#37 ·
Yes, the sound did change, but its the sound coming from the engine area. Its more of a aggressive sound more deeper kind of growl coming from the intake, especially when i gun it. You can look up tons of vids on Youtube if you type in intake or something. Its pretty similar to those on Youtube. Unfortunately i don't have a video cam. Yes i felt better performance as well, a slight difference. I just wish i can figure something out to pull the intake down a bit where it can breath freely all that air. I'm guessing i would have to take out the resonator to do this but when i take my car in for service, i might have some warranty issues. Well for now i can just pop the old OEM air intake stuff back in and take it for service if there are any problems with that. Its pretty much a warm air intake for now, but since its cold out here, its working pretty good for me as of now. Ill have to figure something out in the summer though. Its a great mod, lets just say for about 40 bucks.:thmsup:

#38 ·
I vtec,

Where did you get the MAF adapter...I saw that you said you can get it at any autozone. and I was in there and didnt see it? do you have the name brand that you used. Also one other question, the MAF sensor does the housing seem universal or it has to be made for a honda?

#39 ·
#41 ·
yea no problem

#42 ·
--THANKS for reply 1-VT3C----I think I'm gonna do the SAME mod.---That's EXACTLY what my 08coupe needs, a DEEPER GROWL(that would be nice)!

I'll keep ALL the stock stuff for warranty issues, of course...

#44 ·
One thing you need to be aware of when changing the piping were MAF sensor mounts, whether CAI, Shorty intake.
If you look at the stock MAF mount (air-cleaner box top) it has 2 vanes where the sensor goes.
These vanes are there to make sure the air passes straight in past sensor so it reads right.
If the pipe doesn't have these and you get turbulence air stream you could get errors in airflow going in.
I have no idea if this is happening, as you would have to run A/F test to see but i thought you should know , as MAF (hot wire) are sensitive to turbulence .
Just a heads up, not trying to down CAI's or OP work.

#45 ·
So if the air is not getting read right by the sensor whats are the cons?:dunno: Right now to me it seems like everything is going well, everything is put together air tight and so on.

#47 ·
yea i think ill be ok for now. Well did anyone else do this mod yet?

#48 ·
I forgot to mention that on modern ECU cars you probably get a CEL light/code error if the spikes got bad.
Modern ECU are a lot more sensitive to trouble codes dealing with emissions now a days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.